Vacancy Notice Number:
Project Assistant (Case Management)
Gaziantep – Turkey
6 months Special Short Term Graded Contract (G4)– with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
13 August 2021
Number of People to be hired
Internal & External Candidates
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The Syria crisis is entering its seventh year and millions of Syrians continue to seek refuge in neighbouring countries including Turkey. It is estimated that over 12.2 million individuals inside Syria now require humanitarian assistance and 7.6 million are internally displaced (SRP 2015-2016). Over 4 million Syrians have fled as refugees (UNHCR).
As of 1 April 2018, Turkey is hosting over 3.5 million Syrian refugees. Over 225,000 reside in 25 camps (over 9% of the total Syrian refugees) across South East Turkey and the remaining live outside of camps (around 91%). Of those residing outside of camps spread across Turkey, the majority residing in the border provinces, Sanliurfa, Hatay as well as Istanbul, Mersin, and Adana.
In October 2014, the Government of Turkey adapted the Temporary Protection (TP) Regulation that extends protection and assistance to all Syrians in Turkey and provides refugees with rights and duties and the framework to access health care, education, and social assistance.
IOM's strategy for Turkey as indicated in the 3RP (Regional Refugee and Resilience Plan) is three-pronged; firstly, i) provision of humanitarian assistance focusing on the distribution of food, non-food items, cash vouchers, winterization and provision of transportation, ii) to ease the burden on national and local structures through the establishment of multi-service community centres offering protection and social stabilization for the refugees as well as increase access to education and iii) supporting the resilience of refugees and host communities through livelihoods, community stabilisation and income generating activities.
Under the overall supervision of the Protection Officer and direct supervision of the Senior Protection Assistant, the incumbent will support in the implementation of the Emergency Case Management Project specifically through its on-going case monitoring and follow-up.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the ECM team to follow up on referrals to the project and participate in relevant assessments.
- In coordination with the M&E unit; select beneficiaries to be visited or called periodically for follow up and monitoring.
- Provide periodic follow up/monitoring statistical reports under the supervision of Protection Officer and Senior Protection Assistant.
- Maintain follow up mechanisms for ECM Project. Draft monitoring materials for ECM Project and provide suggestions for their improvement.
- Act as focal point for the RedRose system for internal referrals from M&E unit and follow-up on cases accordingly to case closure.
- Input Project follow up and monitoring data into IOM Turkey’s ECM portal database.
- Organize monitoring/follow up activities with ECM team such as FGD, surveys, phone calls, etc. in coordination with M&E Unit
- Support the Senior Protection Assistant and the ECM team to respond to the needs of referred cases, as per the criteria and guidelines of the case management fund, ensuring that the support is protection and gender sensitive and follows the 6 steps of Case Management.
- Support identification procedures and undertake assessment of beneficiaries who have urgent needs that are under IOM’s Emergency Case Management considerations.
- Support ECM team in daily task with regards to logistics, finance and administration tasks when required.
- Communicate with the beneficiaries directly during and after the case management cycle to ensure the project is implemented in line with the objectives.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- University degree in International Relations, Sociology, Political Sciences, or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience and knowledge of protection principles and the Temporary Protection regime;
- Proven experience working with refugees, partners and local authorities;
- Advanced level of computer literacy and proficiency in excel;
- Previous experience in Case Management in the Syrian Crisis response is highly desirable;
- Knowledge of international protection principles is an advantage.
- Fluency in English and Turkish is required.
- Working knowledge of Arabic is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
• Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
• Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
• Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering Results:
•Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
• Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
• Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
• Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
•Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
• Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
• Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
- Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 13 August 2021.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
- Senior Procurement and Logistics Assistant
- Senior Project Assistant (MHPSS)
- Procurement and Logistics Assistant
- Senior Project Assistant (Psychosocial Support)
- Procurement and Logistics Assistant
- Operations Assistant (Movement)
- Operations Assistant (Data Processing)
- Operations Assistant (Field Support)
- Senior MEAL Assistant
- Migration Health Physician - Family Doctor
- Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Assistant
- Migration Health Physician - Family Doctor
- Project Data Assistant (Recovery and Stabilization) re-advertised
- Portal Data Assistant