Vacancy Notice Number:
Project Assistant (CBA (Cash Based Assistance))
6 months Special Short Term Graded Contract –with possible extension (G4)
Deadline of Applications:
25 November 2019
Number of People to be hired
Internal and External Candidates
With the crisis in Syria in its fourth year, a political solution is still to be found as the conflict remain unresolved and the heavy fighting between the government and opposition forces has continued throughout the country generating regional refugee crisis. 3.9 million Syrian refugees are living in neighboring countries, with over 2.7 million in Turkey. While over 260,000 Syrians are living in 25 camps across Turkey, the remaining 2.5 million (accounting for 90%) live outside of camps in urban and rural areas throughout the country.
In line with the Regional Refugee and Resilience Plan (3RP), IOM is providing multiservice assistance for Syrians including transportation, NFIs, support to food kitchens, voucher distributions, and support to community centers established by NGOs, reaching approximately 500,000 individuals to date. Under the overall supervision of the Monitoring and Evaluation Officer and the direct supervision of the Monitoring and Evaluation assistants, the successful candidate will be mainly responsible for field level accountability and feedback mechanisms, making sure AAP mechanisms are applied and reporting complaints and feedback mechanisms for IOMs Refugee projects.
Under the overall supervision of the Recovery and stabilization Officer, direct administrative supervision of the Head of Sub Office in Hatay and technical supervision of Technical CBI Assistant, based in Gaziantep, the incumbent will be responsible in following up on field tasks related to CBA programing like conducting assessments and vendors identification, follow up with AAP team, communicating with vendors and beneficiaries in addition to supporting field teams during data collection and distribution process.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Undertake assessments for Refugees across SE provinces in the field using IOM data collection tools as required according to IOM guidelines.
- Assist in the distribution of IOM E-Vouchers or other emergency items as required to selected beneficiaries.
- Undertake vendor identification assessments and collect other required documents in coordination with Procurement and Logistics unit staff as required according to IOM guidelines.
- Maintain positive relationships with beneficiaries, local authorities, vendors and other stakeholders.
- Daily reporting on activities and progress to the direct supervisor as well as any issues/problems encountered.
- Support the Cash-Based Assistance (CBA) unit in processing documents related to vendors and service providers during contracting and payment phases.
- Prepare and follow up on administrative issues related to cash top-ups, PRs, PVs etc.
- Support daily administrative processes related to vendor selection and contracting in coordination with Logistics/Procurement, RMO, and Finance units;
- Maintain regular communication with vendors ensuring the monitoring of work status and performance;
- Prepare distribution and top-up lists;
- Coordinate with call centre operators in order to ensure the receipt of beneficiary complaints and feed it back to AAP team.
- Follow up on all complaints with CBA management in order to identify a solution.
- Perform such other task as may be assigned.
- University degree in Sociology, Economics, International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed High school from an accredited academic institution, with four years of relevant professional experience;
- Experience in the humanitarian sector;
- Strong knowledge of accountability affecting population tools and methodologies;
- Computer/software literate, skills in excel, PowerPoint, kobo tool box, and report writing;
- Proven ability to communicate effectively with vendors and beneficiaries;
- Familiar with innovative systems used in humanitarian sectors and skills of fast learning;
- Proven ability to manage self under pressure and stress, and maintain ethical and professional conduct.
- Fluency in English and Turkish is required.
- Knowledge of Arabic is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
• Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
• Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
• Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering Results:
•Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
• Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
• Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
• Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
•Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
• Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
• Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
• Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
•Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
• Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
• Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
• Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
•Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
• Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
• Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
• Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 25 November 2019.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.