Vacancy Notice Number:
Project Assistant (IBM)
Ankara – Türkiye
6 months Special Short Term Graded Contract (G5)- with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
30 August 2022
Number of People to be hired
Internal & External Candidates
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Programme Manager (IBM) and direct supervision of the National Project Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for the support in the implementation of IBM Unit portfolio of the Country Office.
The incumbent will be responsible for supporting and assisting the achievement of the objective and results of relevant project as well as successful day to day implementation of the activities under the project.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide support to coordination of project activities and personally contribute to day-to-day implementation and monitoring of the IBM unit activities, particularly in matters related the logistical, financial and administrative aspects of the project.
- Coordinate all logistical and administrative arrangements of project activities such as conferences, trainings, workshops, study/field visits etc.
- Coordinate procurement of services, supplies, equipment with Procurement Unit and follow up payments and project expenditures with the Finance Unit.
- Verify that operational, administrative and financial activities of the projects and activities are carried out within the approved budgets in accordance with IOM rules and regulations
- Provide support in the monitoring of project budget; suggest amendments to the project budget if necessary.
- Draft various project related correspondence (programs of activities; list of participants; invitation letters etc.)
- Prepare draft Terms of References as well as contracts of the consultants working in the project.
- Report regularly on the challenges and progress recorded in realization of activities and provide considerable assistance in drafting project reports such as inception, progress etc.
- Draft minutes of the meetings whether internal or external.
- Actively participate and contribute to project activities (conferences, trainings, workshops, study/field visits) via moderation of events; preparation and delivery of presentations; responding to questions of the participants etc.
- Create and maintain archiving system for project-related files.
- Draft notes of meetings, research reports, briefing notes, policy papers, and other materials as required
- Provide support in identification of new partnerships to strengthen various IBM initiatives for Turkey.
- Provide general administrative support for the preparation of concept notes, project proposals and project budgets under IBM programme
- Act as a focal point in collaboration and communication with the beneficiary and other stakeholders of the project.
- Meet and liaise with the local and international counterparts if requested by the direct supervisor
- Assist in guiding and coordinating work of junior project staff.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Social and/or Political Science, International Relations or related fields from an accredited academic institution with three years of relevant professional experience.
- Completed High school diploma from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant experience.
- Proven Knowledge on irregular migration and relevant national/international policies is an asset;
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national / international institutions;
- Proven experience in writing papers, briefings and articles;
- Good knowledge of IOM financial rules, procedures and processes;
- Prior experience in functions relating to project implementation and programme activities; training on project development and management is asset
- Experience working in the region an advantage;
- Proven analytical, interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Ability to travel if needed;
- Good level of computer literacy.
- Fluency in English and Turkish is required.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
- Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Integrity and transparency:
- Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
- Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
- Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
- Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering Results:
- Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
- Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
- Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
- Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
- Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
- Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
- Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Türkiye will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Türkiye by the end of 30 August 2022.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
- On-Call Interpreter (Arabic-English)
- Project Assistant (Health)
- Project Assistant (Livelihood)
- Procurement and Logistics Assistant
- National Procurement Officer
- Procurement Intern
- Project Assistant (Case Management)
- Project Assistant (Case Management/M&E)-re-advertised
- Finance Assistant (Budget)-re-advertised
- Project Assistant (Livelihood)-re-advertised
- Consultant (Information Risk Management)
- Administrative and Finance Assistant