Vacancy Notice Number:
Project Assistant (Livelihood in Fablab)
6 months Special Short Term Graded Contract (G5)– with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
22 April 2021
Number of People to be hired
Internal and External Candidates
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Recovery and Stabilization Officer and direct supervision by the Senior Project Assistant (Livelihood) based in Gaziantep, the incumbent will be responsible in coordinating and following up all livelihood related activities in the Resilience Innovation Center- FabLab located in Gaziantep University.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the implementation of all activities under the Fab-lab project portfolio in line with livelihoods technical tools.
- Plan and Organize for Events, trainings and workshops under the Fab-Lab and ensure all the logistical requirements are in place by working closely with IOM support Unit.
- create purchase requests-PRs for all the activities under the Fab-Lab by working closely with the IOM support unit.
- Monitor, Compile and submit regular progress reports about the entrepreneurship and innovation tools and activities in Gaziantep Fab-Lab.
- Act as the focal person for the Documentation of the Livelihood beneficiaries at Fab-Lab facility, ensure that all required documents are submitted on time and are Filed in The IOM turkey portal.
- Regularly analyze livelihood opportunities in terms of digital transformation and e-economy as well as carry market analysis for various digital transformation activities at the Fab Lab.
- Assist in the mapping of service providers for Fab lab activities such as tailored training in the areas of business development, computer literacy, innovation, digital skills, marketing and digital fabrication.
- Coordinate the implementation of entrepreneurship and innovation training as well as vocational training activities in line with the Fab-lab project objectives.
- Facilitate appropriate selection of Fab - Lab project beneficiaries by conducting interviews, registering, and profiling applicants using specific criteria.
- Support Fab- Lab participants by facilitating orientation meetings, business trainings, and/or one-to-one counseling sessions as necessary and support them in the formulation of their business plans in line with their business ideas.
- Organize and conduct satisfaction and feedback surveys at the Fab-Lab facility in order to improve future activities and programmes.
- Monitor Fab-lab project achievements in accordance with work plans and report progress to the Project Support Officer on a weekly basis.
- Support the Livelihood team and Fab-lab Specialist in identifying partners and creating opportunities for joint action with local authorities, associations, chambers as well as NGOs to scale-up IOM’s Livelihood Program and assist in creating MoUs for new collaborations.
- Ensure strong coordination with all the relevant local and international stakeholders (government agencies, local authorities, (I)NGOs, UN agencies, chambers, and private sector actors) to ensure the engagement and Connecting the Youths to a global community of learners, educators, technologists, researchers, makers and innovators.
- Perform such other duties as may be requested.
- University degree in Political Science, International Relations, Economics, Business Administration, Social Science, or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with three years of relevant professional experience; or
- High school degree with five years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in project implementation
- Experience of livelihoods and cash-based approaches or programming
- Understanding of relevant international standards
- Experience conducting Market Mapping or Assessments
- Experience liaising with Government counterparts and humanitarian partners.
- Knowledge of the Syrian conflict and its impact on the affected populations.
- Working experience in the region is an asset.
- Excellent IT skills (Google documents, Google mail, Excel and Word)
- Excellent communications skills
- Good organizational and administrative skills
- Statistical analysis techniques
- Knowledge of electronic survey tools (Kobo)
- Fluency in English and Turkish is required.
- Working knowledge of Arabic is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
- Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- • Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
- • Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
- • Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
- Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- • Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- • Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- • Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- • Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- • Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
- • Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
- • Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
- • Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
- • Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
- • Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
- • Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering Results:
- •Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
- • Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
- • Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
- • Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
- •Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
- • Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
- • Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
- • Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
- •Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
- • Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
- • Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
- • Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
- •Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
- • Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- • Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
- • Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 22 April 2021.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.