Project Assistant (Livelihood) (Ref: CFA#TR/2022/242)
Vacancy Notice Number:
Project Assistant (Livelihood)
Izmir - Türkiye
3 months Special Short Term Ungraded Contract– with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
23 September 2022
Number of People to be hired
Internal & External Candidates
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The ongoing conflict in Syria has created surges of people crossing the borders into neighbouring countries. Host governments and humanitarian actors, including IOM, are providing relief assistance and protection to this extremely vulnerable population living with host families and, to a lesser extent, in camps. The large number of Syrian refugees is posing a growing challenge to reception communities’ capacity and host government’s response mechanisms.
As of September 2018, Turkey is hosting 3.6 million Syrian refugees. 200,000 reside in 16 camps (over 5.5% of the total) across Southeast Turkey and the remaining live outside of camps (around 93%). Of those living outside of camps, the majority are spread across the border provinces of Gaziantep, Hatay, Sanliurfa, Kilis, Mardin as well as in Istanbul, Izmir, Mersin, Bursa and Adana.
In 2014, the Government of Turkey adapted the Temporary Protection (TP) Regulation that extends protection and assistance to all Syrians in Turkey and provides refugees with rights and duties and the framework to access health care, education, and social assistance. As a member of the UN Humanitarian Country Team in Syria and all concerned neighbouring countries (Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, and Turkey), the IOM Director General has activated the L3 Emergency SOPs to enhance organizational humanitarian assistance and priorities related to IDPs, refugees and returnees, and is actively participating in the emergency response within challenging humanitarian context.
IOM's strategy for Turkey as indicated in the 3RP (Regional Refugee and Resilience Plan) is three-pronged; 1. To provide basic needs assistance through multi-purpose cash, winterization, shelter repair and provision of transportation; 2. To ease the burden on national and local structures through the establishment of multi-service community centers offering protection and social stabilization for the refugees as well as increase access to education; and 3. To support the resilience of refugees and host communities through supporting livelihoods, community stabilisation and income generating activities.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Sub-Office Izmir and the direct supervision of the Senior project assistant (Livelihoods) Izmir, the incumbent is accountable for providing support and contributing to the implementation, monitoring and development of livelihood programming in Izmir.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the SPA in the implementation of livelihoods interventions such as in-kind grants, job placements, vocational trainings and other schemes in Turkey.
- Participate in needs assessments with host and refugee communities including municipalities, community representatives and youth in coordination with the Livelihood team.
- Conduct field visits in targeted provinces and identify vulnerable beneficiaries to be enrolled in rapid income-generation activities.
- Assist the Senior project assistant (Livelihoods) in identifying partners and creating opportunities for joint action with local authorities, associations, chambers and well as local and international NGOs to scale up IOM’s livelihoods projects.
- Gather information about skills, educational background vulnerability and opportunities for self-sufficiency to determine beneficiaries for the pilot activities.
- Help identify potential beneficiaries among the refugee and host communities, assist in the drafting of grant and employment agreements, as well as payments and other administrative matters pertaining to the implementation of livelihoods interventions.
- Contact potential beneficiaries and organize interviews.
- Assist selected beneficiaries by facilitating orientation meetings and/or business trainings and/or counseling as necessary and provide support to them in the formulation of business plans.
- Prepare a procurement schedule for tools/equipment as part of the in-kind grants scheme, identify suppliers in the area and develop a database, collect offers according to the type of in-kind grants to be given and issue purchase documents.
- Travel to project sites to monitor ongoing activities and meet with local authorities, other agencies and NGOs on livelihood activities.
- Contact the beneficiaries and inform about the schedule for delivery of items, assist with the delivery of tools/equipment to beneficiaries and verify the quantity and quality thereof.
- Keep track of project progress as well as the progress of each individual beneficiary.
- Organize beneficiary satisfaction and partner feedback surveys to improve future livelihoods projects.
- Help implement a communications strategy to promote IOM’s livelihoods activities in southeast Turkey as the projects expand.
- Draft correspondence, reports, briefing notes, presentations, provide the necessary translation, and other forms of documentation..
- Perform other duties as may be requested.
- University degree in Sociology, Economics, International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with four years of relevant professional experience;
- Experience in social projects or livelihoods activities such as in-kind grants, job placements;
- Good computer skills (Microsoft Word and Excel);
- Knowledge of database applications is an advantage;
- Proven good interpersonal and communication skills. Flexibility, tolerance and capacity to work in team;
- Working experience in the region is an asset.
- Fluency in English and Turkish is required.
- Working knowledge of Arabic is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
• Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
• Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
• Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
• Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
• Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
• Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering Results:
•Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
• Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
• Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
• Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
•Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
• Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
• Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
• Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
•Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
• Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
• Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
• Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
•Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
• Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
• Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
• Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Türkiye will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Türkiye by the end of 23 September 2022.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
- Human Resources Specialist
- Human Resources Associate
- Human Resources Assistant
- Human Resources Associate
- Human Resources Assistant
- Human Resources Associate
- Human Resources Assistant
- Finance Intern
- Administrative Associate
- Senior Data Management Assistant (Recovery and Stabilization)
- Project Assistant (PRU)-re-advertised
- Project Assistant (Health)-re-advertised
- National Officer (Shelter-CS)-re-advertised
- Consultant (Airports Passenger Security Processing - Legal)
- Consultant (Airports Passenger Security Processing - Technical)
- Project Assistant (WASH)-re-advertised
- Project Assistant (Livelihood)-re-advertised