Vacancy Notice Number:
Project Assistant (Media Expert)
9 months Special Short Term Ungraded (UG) –with possible extension
Ankara - Turkey
Deadline of Applications:
04 November 2020
Number of Vacant Positions:
IOM Turkey is operating in a complex migration environment. The country is hosting over 4 million of migrants and refugees under various administrative status. IOM Turkey supported developing migrant integration policy and is implementing capacity building programs aiming at social cohesion of migrants in the country and strengthening the capacity of authorities at central and local levels. The incumbent under the direct supervision of the National program Officer and the overall supervision of the Programme Coordinator will support the implementation and further development of the migrant integration portfolio in the Department for Migration Management of IOM Turkey.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- The incumbent will be responsible for media planning,video production and purchasing media,
- MUYU games and animation editing and its production,
- Exhibition of MUYU Trucks and the Theater for Children
- This position works under the direct supervision of a Senior Project Assistant (G7).
- Personnel to be assigned within the scope of the project will generally work at DGMM for 4 days and at the IOM office for 1 day
- Assist in the implementation and monitoring of project activities.
- Retrieve, compile, summarize, analyse, and present information/data on specific project topics.
- Monitor budget; verify availability of funds; obtain necessary approval and update budget related information.
- Act as focal point for administrative coordination of project implementation, involving extensive liaison with diverse organizational units and external parties to initiate requests, obtain necessary clearances, process and follow-up on administrative actions, etc.
- Draft status reports, identifying shortfalls in delivery, bring them to the attention of the supervisor and suggest remedial actions.
- Draft correspondence on project issues; prepare and update reports, briefing notes, graphics, statistical tables, presentation and other forms of documentation.
- Respond to complex information requests and inquiries; set up and maintain files/records; organize meetings, workshops and training sessions;
- Participate in meetings and conferences; assist in coordinating implementation activities with local authorities, partners, United Nation agencies, intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations, donors and other stakeholders relevant to the project.
- Assist in monitoring work of implementing partners and report non-compliances to the supervisor.
- Provides guidance/training to new/junior staff.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
Education and Experience:
- School diploma with five years of relevant experience; or,
- Bachelor’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, International Relations, Development Studies, Migration Studies, Human Rights, Law or related fields from an accredited academic institution, with three years of relevant professional experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Radio,Television and Cinema or Visual Communication Design and department
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, national/international institutions, United Nations agencies and non-governmental organizations;
- Experience in working with migrants, refugees, internally displaced persons, victims of trafficking and other vulnerable groups; and,
- Prior work experience with international humanitarian organizations, non-government or government institutions/organization in a multi-cultural setting is an advantage.
- Graduation from Radio, Television and Cinema or Visual Communication Design Department,
- Minimum 2 years of experience in organizational activities, video production, content development,
- Experience in desktop publishing, advanced knowledge of adobe programs(corel, indesign, photoshop, illustrator etc.)
- Fluency in Turkish and English is required.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability and enthusiasm for the team’s work.
• Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
• Shares credit for team accomplishments and ensures that the contribution of others is recognized.
• Helps create a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the team achieve its goals.
- Delivering results:
•Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs.
• Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations.
• Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs.
• Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
•Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise.
• Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
• Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge.
• Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
• Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the Organization.
• Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
• Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership.
• Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable
•Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
• Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information.
• Listens and seeks to understand without bias, and responds appropriately.
• Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others' views and ideas and respects their contribution.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Assigns responsibilities fairly and manages performance, taking account of individual strengths, workloads and interests.
• Is inclusive in decision-making and actively seeks feedback from team members and colleagues in order to identify opportunities for improvement.
• Takes sound and timely managerial decisions that are consistent with the Organization's vision and purpose.
• Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of stakeholders to understand needs and gain support.
- Empowering others and building trust:
•Delegates appropriately to make the most of others’ talents, clarifying expectations and allowing autonomy in important areas while providing necessary support.
• Encourages others to take responsibility for their performance; promotes ownership, responsibility and accountability for desired results at all levels.
• Creates an atmosphere of trust and confidence in which others can talk and act without fear of repercussion.
• Gives proper credit to others, shows appreciation and rewards achievement and effort.
- Strategic thinking and vision:
•Aligns own actions to the Organization’s vision, values and mandate.
• Translates strategic direction into short and medium-term plans and objectives for own team; revises objectives to reflect changes in organizational goals.
• Identifies key issues/priorities in complex situations and how they may be related to one another.
• Clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail by the end of 04 November 2020.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
- Migrant Service Assistant
- Communications Assistant (Videographer/Photographer)
- Senior Project Assistant (Beneficiary Data Management)
- Project Assistant (WASH)
- On Call Project Assistant (Livelihood)
- Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Assistant
- MEAL Assistant (Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning)
- Senior Project Assistant (Psychosocial Support)
- MEAL Assistant (Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning)
- Project Assistant (Case Management)
- Project Assistant (Social Work)
- Project Assistant (Outreach)
- Project Assistant (Recovery and Stabilization)