Vacancy Notice Number:
Project Assistant (Outreach) - re-advertised
Hatay – Turkey
6 months Special Short Term Graded Contract (G4)– with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
29 October 2021
Number of People to be hired
Internal & External Candidates
Under the overall supervision of the Protection and Resilience Officer, administrative supervision of Head of Office and direct supervision of the Senior Project Assistant, the incumbent will be responsible in working closely with the affected communities in activities for IOM’s community-based protection interventions. S/he will be working closely with the community leaders, government authorities, and other stakeholders to any related activities and services of the Mobile Psychosocial Support Team.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Undertake assessments of Syrian refugees in districts across Hatay or other provinces as required according to IOM guidelines, including organising and leading focus group discussions. Record and input assessment of data as required.
- Work closely with implementing partners, local authorities, area representatives and other stakeholders to identify areas, activities and topics for IOM’s community based protection interventions.
- Maintain positive relationships with beneficiaries, local authorities and other stakeholders.
- Prepare TAs for field staff and assist in additional administrative and logistical duties as required, including ensuring locations for outreach activities are organised and have all the required equipment and materials
- Identify and analyse the families/individual demands and needs through listening and dialogue, problems and nature of expressed needs (health, education, work, finance, legal etc.) and refer to appropriate colleagues and service providers
- Plan thematic groups of discussions in the targeted villages/neighbourhoods according to identified needs in villages/neighbourhoods and in consultation with key informants.
- Coordinate with the team members (Social Workers) as to referring cases for case management or for psychosocial support activities
- Assist in preparing materials needed for family support sessions, counselling services, recreational and rights based activities for children, community mobilization, awareness sessions and informal education activities
- Prepare reports on the sessions conducted and map existing needs. Raise awareness on the services that will be provided by IOM mobile outreach team and the dates of the visits.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- University degree in Sociology, Economics, International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed High school from an accredited academic institution, with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in humanitarian and emergency assistance;
- Proven experience working with the beneficiaries, local authorities and other stakeholders;
- Proven experience in various activities and topics for community based protection interventions;
- Previous experience in family support sessions and counselling services is an advantage.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required.
- Working knowledge of Turkish is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
• Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
• Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
• Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering Results:
•Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
• Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
• Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
• Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
•Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
• Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
• Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
•Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 29 October 2021.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contaced.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
- Project Field Coordinator
- Project Assistant (Social Services)
- Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Assistant re-advertised
- Communications Assistant (Videographer/Photographer)– re-advertised
- Senior Project Assistant (WASH)
- Project Assistant (Protection) re-advertised
- On-call Enumerator
- On-call Enumerator
- On-call Enumerator
- On-call Interpreter
- Project Assistant (Livelihood) re-advertised