Vacancy Notice Number:
Project Assistant (Protection and Legal) – re-advertised
6 months Special Short Term Graded Contract (G5)– with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
24 June 2021
Number of People to be hired
Internal & External Candidates
Under the overall administrative supervision of the Head of Sub-Office (HSO) in Sanliurfa and direct supervision of the National Project Officer (Education & Protection), the incumbent will be responsible in providing legal counseling services in the Şanlıurfa Metropolitan Municipality Information and Coordination Center (Center). In addition, the incumbent will be responsible in the project coordination of the Şanlıurfa Metropolitan Municipality Information and Coordination Center in close cooperation with IOM Turkey programme teams.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Meet migrants and refugees at the Şanlıurfa Metropolitan Municipality Information and Coordination Center (Center) in Şanlıurfa to provide necessary guidance and orientation to enable them in benefiting their rights stipulated as per with domestic and international legislative frameworks.
- Ensure proper legal case management in a coordination with Center’s counselling units such as social services, health, community support, education etc,
- Ensure effective referal mechanism to the relevant public autorities, IOM, UN agencies, other NGOs and in Center units and follow up the referals on a daily basis. Use the documents and templates such as interagency referral forms, official letters and requests for the referrals,
- Collect requests for migrants and refugees in accessing services through focus group discussions while planning future activities in a coordination with Center staff.
- Design and organise legal awareness trainings to migrants and refugees at least twice a month and conduct awareness raising activities regularly.
- Regularly report migrants and refugees’ common problems and needs in access to rights and services,
- Report weekly, monthly, periodic achievements, progress, challenges, actions taken, lesson learned in realization of activities and duties,
- Meet and liaise with the local public authorities (PDMM, Bar Associations, FLaSS, Population and Citizenship Affairs etc.), civil society and other organizations in Şanlıurfa.
- Work closely with the Centers and Municipality personnel (IOM program team, Municipality Officers, counsellors, interpreters and other service providers). Provide regular update about the relevant legislative changes regarding their expertise.
- Provide necessary information, feedbacks, documentation regarding the development of IOM internal procedures and in Center work flow,
- Keep and save all project related documents in file,
- Ensure project related data recorded to dataset regularly and accurately by reporting staff,
- Follow up the activities with IOM support units such as security, PI, MEAL, QC etc,
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
- University degree in Political Science, International Relations, Sociology, Law, Social Science or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with three years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with five years of relevant professional experience.
- Proven experience in protection programs for migrant and refugees;
- Experience in the field of migration, IDP (Internally Displaced Person) and protection (including specific knowledge of GBV, Child Protection, PSS, and Human Trafficking);
- Experience in emergency operations and liaison with other UN and non-UN humanitarian actors;
- Understanding of complex social-political environments;
- Proven good communication, analytical, interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Good level of computer literacy;
- Residing or willing to reside in Şanlıurfa.
- Fluency in English and Turkish is required.
- Working knowledge of Arabic is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
• Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
• Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
• Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
• Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
• Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
• Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering Results:
•Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
• Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
• Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
• Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
•Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
• Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
• Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
• Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
•Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
• Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
• Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
• Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
•Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
• Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
• Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
• Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 24 June 2021.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.