Vacancy Notice Number:
Project Assistant (Protection and Legal)
6 months Special Short Term Ungraded Contract – with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
28 January 2021
Number of People to be hired
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision National Project Officer (Protection and Education) based in gaziantep and direct supervision of the Project Field Coordinator in Adana, the incumbent will be responsible in providing interpretation services on the above mentioned project. In addition, the incumbent will be responsible in the project coordination of the Adana Metropolitan Municipality Migrant Centre in close cooperation with IOM Turkey programme teams.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Meet migrants and refugees at the Municipal Migrant and Refugee Center (“Center”)in Adana to provide necessary guidance and orientation to enable them in benefiting their rights stipulated as per with domestic and international legislative frameworks and support the Migrant Center in Mersin.
- Ensure proper legal case management in a coordination with Center’s counselling units such as social services, health, community support, education etc,
- Ensure effective referal mechanism to the relevant public autorities, IOM, UN agencies, other NGOs and in Center units and follow up the referals on a daily basis. Use the documents and templates such as interagency referral forms, official letters and requests for the referrals,
- Collect requests for migrants and refugees in accessing services through focus group discussions while planning future activities in a coordination with Center staff. Design and organise legal awareness trainings to migrants and refugees at least twice a month and conduct awareness raising activities regularly.
- Regularly report migrants and refugees’ common problems and needs in access to rights and services,
- Report weekly, monthly, periodic achievements, progress, challenges, actions taken, lesson learned in realization of activities and duties,
- Meet and liaise with the local public authorities (PDMM, Bar Associations, FLaSS, Population and Citizenship Affairs etc.), civil society and other organizations in Adana and Mersin,
- Work closely with the Centers and Municipality personnel (IOM program team, Municipality Officers, counsellors, interpreters and other service providers). Provide regular update about the relevant legislative changes regarding their expertise.
- Provide necessary information, feedbacks, documentation regarding the development of IOM internal procedures and in Center work flow,
- Keep and save all project related documents in file,
- Ensure project related data recorded to dataset regularly and accurately by reporting staff,
- Follow up the activities with IOM support units such as security, PI, MEAL, QC etc,
- Regular travel to Mersin as needed and requested by the line managers.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree in Political Science, International Relations, Sociology, Law, Social Science or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with three years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with five years of relevant professional experience.
- Proven experience in protection programs for migrant and refugees;
- Experience in the field of migration, IDP (Internally Displaced Person) and protection (including specific knowledge of GBV, Child Protection, PSS, and Human Trafficking);
- Experience in emergency operations and liaison with other UN and non-UN humanitarian actors;
- Understanding of complex social-political environments;
- Proven good communication, analytical, interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Good level of computer literacy;
- Residing or willing to reside in Adana
- Fluency in English and Turkish is required.
- Knowledge of Arabic is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application, including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of e-mail or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sokak No:24 Cankaya, Ankara by the end of 28 January 2021.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.