|Vacancy Notice Number:||VN#TR/2018/184|
|Position Title:||Project Assistant (Protection)|
|Classification:||6 months Special Short Term Graded Contract (G5)–with possible extension|
|Deadline of Applications:||1 November 2018|
|Number of People to be hired||1|
|Eligibility:||Internal and External Candidates|
The Syria crisis is in its seventh year and millions of Syrians continue to seek refuge in neighbouring countries including Turkey. It is estimated that almost 11 million individuals are displaced by the crisis and now require humanitarian assistance. Over 4.8 million Syrians have fled as refugees (3RP 2017-2018).
As of July 2018, Turkey is hosting over 3.5million Syrian refugees. Around 220,000 reside in 24 camps (8% of the total Syrian refugees) across South East Turkey and the remaining live outside of camps (around 92%). Of the 3 million living outside of camps the majority are residing in the border provinces, Sanliurfa,Hatay, Gaziantep, Kilis as well as Istanbul, Mersin, Adana.
In October 2014, the Government of Turkey adopted the Temporary Protection (TP) Regulation that extends protection and assistance to all Syrians in Turkey and provides refugees with rights and duties and the framework to access health care, education, and social assistance.
IOM's strategy for Turkey as indicated in the 3RP (Regional Refugee and Resilience Plan) is three-pronged; firstly, i)provision of humanitarian assistance focusing on the distribution of food,non-food items, cash vouchers, winterization and provision of transportation,ii) to ease the burden on national and local structures through the establishment of multi-service community centres offering protection and social stabilization for the refugees as well as increase access to education and iii)supporting the resilience of refugees and host communities through livelihoods,community stabilisation and income generating activities.
Under the overall supervision of the Protection Officer and direct supervision of the National Protection Officer and in close coordination with the Senior Protection Assistant, the incumbent will assist in the daily implementation of activities of the Emergency Case Management project. These activities fall in line with the 3RP, specifically under IOM’s PRM funded program. S/he will assist in the implementation of case management and individual assistance project.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with ECM Senior Protection Assistant, and ECM support staff, to follow up on referrals to the project and conduct relevant assessments deciding on the most appropriate response.
- Visit the cases when required, and provide information dissemination in line with the national rules and regulations.
- Daily use and monitoring of the case management referrals tracking and monitoring table, inputting new cases and updating information as required.
- Respond to the needs of referred cases, as per the criteria and guidelines of the case management fund, ensuring that the support is protection and gender sensitive and follows the 6 steps of Case Management.
- When required prepare and track Purchase Requests, Payment Request Forms and support with bid request preparation. Be in regular contact with service providers and vendors to ensure that referrals for assistance is provided.
- In close coordination with the Senior Protection Assistant and the National Protection Officer, ensure that project expenditures are in line with project objectives.
- Work closely with other IOM units on referrals of vulnerable individuals and households for assistance, making sure that referrals are in line with SOPs.
- Develop and maintain positive relations with external partners on case management and referral related matters and provide information about IOM’s protection and case management activities.
- Attend protection sector working group meetings and other case management meetings at the local level and represent IOM when required.
- Support the Refugee Response Programme with other tasks when required and undertake visits to the field.
- Follow up extremely vulnerable individuals or households through identification and undertaking required assessments.
- Monitor, review and follow up cases which have been provided assistance.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- University degree in Political Science,International Relations, Sociology, Social Science or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with three years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with five years of relevant professional experience.
- Experiences in case management, protection, support activities in emergencies or field related activities.
- Fluency in English and Turkish is required.
- Knowledge of Arabic is advantageous.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with clients and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Pleasebe advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail to to email@example.com or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 1 November 2018.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
- Finance Assistant (Compliance)
- National Migration Health Physician
- Project Assistant (Case Management)
- Project Assistant (Social Work)
- Project Assistant (Psychosocial Animation)
- Field Assistant (Quality Control)
- Operations Assistant
- Data Processing Assistant - Istanbul
- Data Processing Assistant - Ankara
- Migration Health Nurse
- MPM Programme IM-GIS Assistant (Displacement Tracking Matrix / DTM Turkey)
- National Project Officer (FAP)
- Monitoring and Evaluation Assistant (Accountability to affected population)