Vacancy Notice Number:
Project Assistant (Recovery and Stabilization)
Istanbul – Turkey
9 months Special Short Term Graded Contract (G4)– with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
16 December 2020
Number of People to be hired
Internal and External Candidates
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The Syria crisis is entering its ninth year and millions of Syrians continue to seek refuge in neighbouring countries including Turkey. It is estimated that over 12.2 million individuals inside Syria now require humanitarian assistance and 7.6 million are internally displaced (SRP 2015-2016). Over 4 million Syrians have fled as refugees (UNHCR).
In October 2014, the Government of Turkey adapted the Temporary Protection (TP) Regulation that extends protection and assistance to all Syrians in Turkey and provides refugees with rights and duties and the framework to access health care, education, and social assistance.
IOM's strategy for Turkey as indicated in the 3RP (Regional Refugee and Resilience Plan) is three-pronged; firstly, i) provision of humanitarian assistance focusing on the distribution of food, non-food items, cash vouchers, winterization and provision of transportation, ii) to ease the burden on national and local structures through the establishment of multi-service community centers offering protection and social stabilization for the refugees as well as increase access to education and iii) supporting the resilience of refugees and host communities through livelihoods, community stabilization, shelter and income generating activities.
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Project Assistant (Psychosocial Support) in Istanbul and technical supervision of the Project Assistant (Recovery and Stabilization) in Gaziantep, the incumbent will be responsible in providing support and following up the preparation and implementation of unit projects and monitor works.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in the implementation and monitoring of project activities.
- Retrieve, compile, summarize, analyse, and present information/data on specific project topics.
- Draft status reports, identifying shortfalls in delivery, bring them to the attention of the supervisor and suggest remedial actions.
- Draft correspondence on project issues; prepare and update reports, briefing notes, graphics, statistical tables, presentation and other forms of documentation.
- Respond to complex information requests and inquiries; set up and maintain files/records; organize meetings, workshops and training sessions.
- Participate in meetings and conferences; assist in coordinating implementation activities with local authorities, partners, United Nation agencies, intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations and other stakeholders relevant to the project.
- Handle all the documents under the project including preparation of PRs, Delivery forms and other admin documents.
- Follow up orders from logistics unit to ensure timely delivery.
- Prepare draft letters in Turkish and English for regular communication with local partners.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- University degree in Social Science, Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with four years of relevant professional experience;
- Experience in providing community support and shelter related projects;
- Experience in monitoring shelter and construction works;
- Good computer skills with experience in word processing, spreadsheets, data entry and processing
- Good writing, communication and negotiation skills;
- Experience in project monitoring and tracking or project management;
- Excellent organization and analytical skills, attention to details, and ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Fluency in English and Turkish is required.
- Working knowledge of Arabic is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
• Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
• Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
• Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering Results:
•Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
• Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
• Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
• Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
•Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
• Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
• Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
- Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 16 December 2020.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
- Counselling Assistant
- Consultant (Forgery Detection and/or Risk Analysis)
- Consultant (Fablab Specialist)
- Consultant (Fablab)
- On Call Finance Assistant (Compliance)
- Project Assistant (Social Work) – re-advertised
- Communication Consultant/Expert
- Senior ICT Assistant (Network & Systems)
- Project Assistant (Protection and Legal)
- Project Assistant (Outreach) – re-advertised
- Project Assistant (Livelihood)
- Project Assistant (Livelihood)
- Senior Project Assistant (Livelihood)
- Consultant (Procurement Technical Advisor)
- National Project Officer (Legal)
- Project Assistant