Vacancy Notice Number:
Project Assistant (Shelter and CS)
Adana – Türkiye
6 months Special Short Term Graded Contract (G4)- with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
5 December 2022
Number of People to be hired
Internal & External Candidates
With the crisis in Syria in its tenth year, fighting between the government and opposition forces continues to maintain a large regional internal and external displacement crisis. Currently, more than 4.7 million foreign nationals reside in Turkey, including 3.6 million Syrian refugees under Temporary Protection. Turkey is now host to the largest migrant/refugee population in the world, including nationals from Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia, Iran and Pakistan, among others. The Government of Turkey has set a precedent for refugee response by pursuing a predominantly non-camp approach, with more than 95% of refugees and migrants living within the host community.
In line with the Regional Refugee and Resilience Plan (3RP), IOM has been providing multiservice assistance to Syrians including transportation, cash vouchers, shelter repairs, livelihood support and protection, including support to migrant and community centres, reaching approximately 2 million individuals to date, including vulnerable members of both (the host community and refugees). IOM Shelter, WASH and Community stabilization (CS) interventions in Turkiye are expanded to include the complete spectrum of assistance to cover beneficiaries’ basic needs i.e. Shelter rehabilitation, WASH Projects, Community based projects, Technical assessments and any other related activities under Shelter and CS area. The new position of Project Assistant (Shelter and CS) aims to cover all relevant activities under this portfolio.
Under the direct supervision of Senior Project Assistant (Shelter and CS), and overall supervision of the Project Support Officer (Recovery and Stabilization) based in Gaziantep, the incumbent will be responsible for the following tasks:
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- In coordination with Senior Project assistant (Shelter and CS), provide support to RSU projects under the area of Community Stabilization, WASH and Shelter Rehabilitation during project cycle in line with RSU methodology, processes and SOPs.
- Participate in needs assessments, technical and shelter assessments, FGDs, community engagement activities with both (host and refugee) communities, municipalities, community representatives and beneficiaries in coordination with Senior Project Assistant (Shelter and CS).
- Assist in monitoring shelter & CS activities and project implementation all aligned with the project scope, SOP, and conditions of the contract agreement. And immediately report any irregularities, bottlenecks, and any urgent issues to the Senior Project Assistant (Shelter and CS).
- Provide support in the preparation of the technical construction drawings, bill of quantities/materials and technical specifications.
- Provide inputs to the Senior Project Assistant (Shelter and CS) for technical and any admin related matters pertaining to CS and Shelter projects.
- Consolidate information and support in preparing work plans, regular updates, progress and assist in the preparation of weekly and monthly report.
- Maintain systematic record, scan, archive and arrange of all documents related to the beneficiaries and project. Following IOM data protection principles.
- Travel on Duty as needed and directed by the Project Support Officer (Recovery and stabilization).
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- University degree in Civil Engineering, Architecture or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience.; or
- Highschool diploma with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in the field of construction, engineering, and contract management.
- Experience in using AutoCAD.
- Computer/software literate, skills in excel, and kobo toolbox.
- Work experience in remote or hardship environments.
- Experience in dealing with the humanitarian sector.
- Ability to communicate effectively with contractors, workers and beneficiaries.
- Familiar with innovative systems used in humanitarian sectors and skills of fast learning.
- Fluency in English and Turkish is required.
- Working knowledge of Arabic is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
• Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
• Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
• Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering Results:
•Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
• Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
• Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
• Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
•Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
• Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
• Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
•Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Türkiye will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail to email@example.com or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Türkiye by the end of 5 December 2022.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
- On Call Interpreter (Turkish Sign Language)
- On Call Interpreter (Arabic Sign Language)
- Junior Project Assistant
- Senior Project Assistant
- Senior Project Assistant (Recovery and Stabilization)
- Childcare Assistant
- Senior Project Assistant (Protection)-re-advertised
- Operations Assistant Team Leader Field Support (Airport)