Vacancy Notice Number:
Project Assistant (Special Education)
Gaziantep – Turkey
6 months Special Short Term Graded Contract (G4)– with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
29 October 2021
Number of People to be hired
Internal & External Candidates
Under the overall supervision of the Protection and Resilience Officer and direct supervision of the Senior Project Assistant (Education), the incumbent will be responsible in supporting the follow-up of the implementation of the special education project and providing administrative and field support for the School Transportation Project as and when needed.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the implementation of project activities and coordinate closely with the Special Education Centres, as proposed and agreed in the service agreement and project proposal documents.
- Follow up, review and report regularly on the Special Education Centres’ services provided for the special education project.
- Conduct monitoring visits, assisting Compliance and MEAL units, and liaise with the service provider to follow up project compliance.
- Support in preparing agreement procedures, acquiring required internal approvals, and other procurement related tasks in coordination internal Protection and Resilience Unit colleagues and Procurement Unit.
- Collect data relevant to the achievement of program for weekly, and monthly reports.
- Regularly liaise and coordinate with local authorities as well as the Special Education Centres to organize the project activities further.
- Assist in preparing the project payments and follow ups with the finance unit.
- Assist the Senior Education Assistant in periodically monitoring the school transportation project by using technical monitoring and evaluation methods.
- Provide technical guidance, as needed, to Izmir SO colleagues on provision of support for children with developmental needs.
- Undertake duty travel as required to ensure project activities are implemented in line with IOM approach.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- University degree in Social Sciences, psychology, counseling and guidance or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in the field of humanitarian assistance and development is preferred;
- Good knowledge of International Organizations, UN and NGO mandates and programmes in the area of humanitarian assistance, post-conflict, migration, and development;
- Experience working with Government counterparts, UN agencies and/or non-governmental organizations is considered an asset;
- Experience working in the South East Turkey is an advantage.
- Fluency in English and Turkish is required.
- Working knowledge of Arabic is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
• Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
• Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
• Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering Results:
•Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
• Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
• Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
• Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
•Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
• Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
• Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
- Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 29 October 2021.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
- Project Field Coordinator
- Project Assistant (Social Services)
- Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Assistant re-advertised
- Communications Assistant (Videographer/Photographer)– re-advertised
- Senior Project Assistant (WASH)
- Project Assistant (Protection) re-advertised
- On-call Enumerator
- On-call Enumerator
- On-call Enumerator
- On-call Interpreter
- Project Assistant (Livelihood) re-advertised