Vacancy Notice Number:
Ankara - Turkey
One Year Fixed Term Graded Contract (G5)– with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
05 February 2021
Number of People to be hired
Internal and External Candidates
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
EU-funded project “Supporting Removal Centres' Capacities and Fostering Alternatives to Administrative Detention” project aims to strengthen the institutional capacity of DGMM in managing removal centres and developing pathways to alternatives to detention. Under the leadership of IOM, the project will be jointly implemented by IOM and UNHCR and the main beneficiary of the project is Ministry of Interior, Directorate General of Migration Management (DGMM).
Under the direct supervision of the head of CMS Unit, the incumbent will be responsible for supporting and assisting the achievement of the objective and results of the aforementioned project as well as successful day to day implementation of the activities under the project through delivery of direct support to the beneficiary institution’s relevant departments’ follow up of the logistical and other technical arrangements.
In this context, the incumbent will be based in beneficiary institution (DGMM)’s main premises and as seconded IOM staff and will undertake the assigned tasks and responsibilities in close communication with DGMM’s relevant departments.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist and contribute the CMS unit in implementing activities of “Supporting Removal Centres' Capacities and Fostering Alternatives to Administrative Detention” project.
- Support implementation of activities of the project in close collaboration with the relevant DGMM department, assist day to day activities and administrative processes; relevant activities, report regularly on the challenges and progress recorded in realization of activities.
- Carry out operational, administrative and logistical processes of the projects and activities in accordance with IOM rules and regulations
- Assist with the planning, organization and logistical arrangement of conferences, seminars, trainings and workshops as relevant
- Prepare analytical notes of meetings, draft research reports, briefing notes, policy papers, and other materials as required
- Provide support in identification of new partnerships with the beneficiary to strengthen various CMS initiatives and explore opportunities for future project development.
- Support in preparation of concept notes, project proposals and other documentation under CMS programme
- Regularly research, follow-up, compile, analyze and share information/data on national, regional and international developments, reports, legislation and other relevant documentation on irregular migration, detention, alternatives to detention and counter migrant smuggling relevant to the work of the Unit
- Daily communicate and liaise with the beneficiary, provincial governorates and other local and international counterparts and periodically inform the DGMM relevant departments as well as IoM project team on the developments, achievements and challenges regarding to project implementation.
- Monitor project activities; update the project plan if necessary.
- Create and maintain physical and electronic project-related files.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Education & Experience:
- Completed bachelor’s degree in Social and/or Political Science, International Relations or a related field;
- At least three years of experience in relevant field is an asset,
- Knowledge on labour migration and human development and relevant national/international policies is an asset
- Training on project development and management is asset,
- Being able to travel,
- Good familiarity with diplomatic environment
- Proven analytical, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Good level of computer literacy.
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national / international institutions
- Experience working in the region an advantage.
- Experience in writing papers, briefings, articles
- Fluency in English and Turkish is required.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
- Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- • Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
- • Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
- • Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
- Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- • Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- • Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- • Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- • Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- • Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
- • Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
- • Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
- • Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
- • Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
- • Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
- • Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering Results:
- •Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
- • Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
- • Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
- • Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
- •Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
- • Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
- • Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
- • Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
- •Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
- • Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
- • Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
- • Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
- •Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
- • Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- • Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
- • Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 05 February 2021.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.