Who We Are
Building Markets is an award-winning non-profit organization that creates jobs and encourages economic growth by finding, building and connecting competitive local small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to supply chains and investment. We have built a network of more than 24,000 verified SMEs, assisted them in winning over $1.3 billion in contracts, and helped create over 70,000 jobs in countries such as Afghanistan, Haiti, Liberia, Mozambique, and Timor-Leste. Building Markets is headquartered in New York City and currently operates programs in Jordan, Myanmar, and Turkey. For more information, visit buildingmarkets.org.
As a part of its continued response effort to the Syrian crisis, Building Markets has established a program in Turkey to improve socio-economic cohesion and resilience among refugees and host communities through increased access to job, business, and investment opportunities. This includes a survey of Turkey-based enterprises, to help international organizations identify capable local partners, and a targeted training and capacity building program to grow local expertise. Building Markets seeks to continue to develop its programmatic priorities in Turkey by bringing greater visibility and providing tailored services to Syrian and other refugee-owned, as well as host community, enterprises in Turkey.
The Project Assistant plays an important support role in the implementation of all of Building Markets’ services. Specifically, this includes:
- Supporting the maintenance of program impact datasets;
- Assisting the business development team with event planning, operations, and tracking;
- Providing administrative and organizational support services to research and training teams;
- Following-up with clients via calls and emails, and supporting various forms of program outreach, including maintaining contact sheets;
- Assisting the team on other aspects of program activities and operations, as needed; and
- Being part of a positive team environment.
- University degree in a relevant field and /or secondary school certificate and relevant professional experience;
- Fluency in English and Arabic or Turkish;
- Work authorization in Turkey;
- Strong organizational skills and care about getting details correct, including managing data on client interactions;
- Extroverted personality who enjoys outreach and interacting with a range of clients;
- Motivated to promote private sector development and support refugee communities in Turkey;
- Fast learner with a resourceful and flexible disposition;
- Good written and oral communication skills across diverse cultures;
- Unintimidated by technology and comfortable using Google Drive, Excel, and online databases and resources;
- Experience with customer service and events a plus.
Full or part-time, 2-month contract with possibility of extension.
Application Closing Date
July 23, 2019 @ 5PM Turkey Time
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
To apply, email your resume and cover letter to the e-mail address on this website with the subject line: “Project Assistant-Turkey”.