Vacancy Notice Number:
9 Months Special Short Term Graded Contract (G5) -with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
13 August 2020
Number of Vacant Positions:
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The 4-year EU-funded project “Supporting Turkey’s Efforts to Manage Migration” aims to support institutional and legal reform of migration management of Turkey via the following specific objectives:
1. Reinforcement of migration management legislative and administrative capacity in compliance with EU standards and the national legal framework.
2. Strengthening the institutional capacities at local, central and international level to implement the LFIP and enhancing inter-institutional cooperation in migration management.
3. Enhancement of human rights driven dialogue and cooperation with key countries of origin, transit and destination to improve understanding of migratory patterns and challenges.
The main beneficiary of the project is Ministry of Interior, Directorate General of Migration Management (DGMM).
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of the National Project Officer, the incumbent will be responsible for supporting and assisting the achievement of the objectives and results of the Migration Management (MM) project, as well as successful day to day implementation of the activities of the project related to irregular migration. During the project implementation, the incumbent will work at the Combatting Irregular Migration Department of DGMM and will be located at DGMM Ankara premises.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in the day-to-day implementation and monitoring of project activities related to irregular migration particularly in matters related to the logistical, financial and administrative aspects of the project;
- Retrieve, compile, summarize, analyse, and present information/data on specific project topics;
- Act as focal point for administrative coordination of project implementation for activities related to irregular migration, involving extensive liaison with diverse organizational units and external parties to initiate requests, obtain necessary clearances, process and follow-up on administrative and logistical actions for the organization of conferences, trainings, workshops, study/field vists etc.;
- Draft status reports, identifying shortfalls in delivery, bring them to the attention of the supervisor and suggest remedial actions;
- Assist in drafting project reports such as activity, progress and final reports;
- Draft project related correspondence (programs of activities; list of participants; invitation letters etc.); prepare and update reports, briefing notes, graphics, statistical tables, presentation and other forms of documentation;
- Respond to complex information requests and inquiries; set up and maintain files/records; organize meetings, workshops and training sessions;
- Participate in meetings and conferences; assist in coordinating implementation activities with local authorities, partners, United Nation agencies, intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations, donors and other stakeholders relevant to the project;
- Draft minutes of internal and external meetings;
- Draft Terms of References for the consultants working under the project;
- Undertake duty travel for project implementation purposes, if required;
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- High school diploma with at least five years of relevant professional experience; or,
- Bachelor’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, International Relations, Development Studies, Migration Studies, Human Rights, Law or related fields from an accredited academic institution, with at least three years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in project implementation particularly in matters related the logistical, financial and administrative aspects of the projects.
- Professional experience in liaising with governmental authorities, national/international institutions, United Nations agencies and non-governmental organizations
- Professional experience in area(s) related to migration management and in particular irregular migration.
- Prior work experience with international humanitarian organizations, non-government or government institutions/organization in a multi-cultural setting is an advantage.
- Demonstrated capacity to undertake assigned responsibilities and work under pressure.
- Fluency in Turkish and English is required.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
• Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
• Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
• Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering Results:
•Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
• Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
• Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
• Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
•Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
• Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
• Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
• Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
•Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
• Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
• Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
• Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
•Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
• Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
• Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
• Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that female candidates are highly encouraged and that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sokak No:24 Cankaya, Ankara by the end of 13 August 2020.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.