Vacancy Notice Number:
3 months Special Short Term Ungraded Contract (UG) - – with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
5 November 2020
Number of People to be hired
Internal and External Candidates
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Sub Office and technical supervision of the Protection Officer based in Gaziantep, direct supervision of the National Officer for Migrants Assistance & Migration Management Coordination, and in close cooperation with IOM Turkey program teams (integration, social cohesion and refugee response) the incumbent will be responsible for providing support the activities of the Sanliurfa Municipal Center as well as the refugee response program activities of the mission.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist the project team in implementing activities of the Mersin Metropolitan Municipality Harmonization Centre and if needed support other integration related activities and projects
- Support implementation of activities of the projects under direct coordination of the project field coordinator, national program officer and program officer, assist day to day activities and admin. Processes; report regularly on the challenges and progress recorded in realization of activities.
- Assist with the planning, organization and logistical arrangement of conferences, seminars, trainings and workshops as relevant.
- Support resource management of the project via assisting procurement of services, supplies, equipment and of payments; follow up project expenditures in close coordination with the Finance and Procurement Department,
- Assist preparation of analytical notes of meetings, briefing notes, policy papers and other materials as required,
- Support drafting of project interim and final reports in a timely manner, as well as other relevant information materials as required for the authorities, donors and IOM.
- Meet and liaise with the beneficiary, local and international counterparts.
- Regularly research, follow-up, compile and analyze and share information/data on national, regional, and international developments, reports, legislation and other relevant documentation on migration relevant to IOM Turkey.
- Translate daily correspondences and project related documents, reports, if requested by the team members.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
- University degree in Social and/or political science, international relations or in a related field from an accredited academic institution, with three years of relevant professional experience; or;
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with five years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in the field of humanitarian assistance and development;
- Good knowledge of International Organizations, UN and NGO mandates and programmes in the area of humanitarian assistance, post-conflict, migration, and development;
- Experience working with Government counterparts, UN agencies and/or non-governmental organizations is considered an asset;
- Experience working in the South East Turkey is an advantage.
- Fluency in English and Turkish is required.
- Working knowledge of Arabic is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
• Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
• Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
• Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering Results:
•Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
• Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
• Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
• Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
•Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
• Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
• Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
• Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
•Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
• Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
• Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
• Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
•Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
• Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
• Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
• Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail to or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 5 November 2020.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
- Migrant Service Assistant
- Communications Assistant (Videographer/Photographer)
- Senior Project Assistant (Beneficiary Data Management)
- Project Assistant (WASH)
- On Call Project Assistant (Livelihood)
- Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Assistant
- MEAL Assistant (Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning)
- Senior Project Assistant (Psychosocial Support)
- MEAL Assistant (Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning)
- Project Assistant (Case Management)
- Project Assistant (Social Work)
- Project Assistant (Outreach)
- Project Assistant (Recovery and Stabilization)