Place: Ankara, Turkey
Position: Project Linguistic Assistant
Project: Project on the Promotion of Access to Justice by Refugees, Asylum-seekers and Temporary Protection Beneficiaries in Turkey
Duration: 3 months
Only the short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Currently, over 3.5 million Syrians under temporary protection and over 350.000 international protection applicants and statute holders from different countries live in Turkey. This large group, which is seeking international protection in Turkey with various legal statutes, may face different legal problems in daily life. These people can be a party to legal disputes from decisions such as refoulement, which can directly affect one’s right to life; to divorce, domestic violence and work-place accidents. It is important that these people, majority of whom are facing economic difficulties, are supported in access to justice.
“Project on the Promotion of Access to Justice by Refugees, Asylum-seekers and Temporary Protection Beneficiaries in Turkey” aims to ensure the access of international protection applicants, statute holders and persons under temporary protection, who are a party to a legal dispute, to qualified legal assistance.
Within the scope of the project:
“With this activity, which will be conducted with the cooperation of the UTBA, UNHCR and the UNDP; the lawyers’ fees, fees related to the issuance of a power of attorney and interpretations costs will be covered in the selected cases among the legal aid applications submitted to local bar associations by a joint committee.
At the end of this activity, the ratio of the target groups’ benefit from legal aid will be raised and their effective access to justice will be ensured in a wide range of fields from administrative detention to divorce cases, from criminal cases to labour disputes.”
The objective of this position is to carry out the interpretation/translation duties within the scope of the project, to support the implementation of the project and to contribute to the communication and cooperation among partners; in order to reach the project outcomes.
3. Responsibilities of the Project Linguistic Assistant
The project linguistic assistant will be responsible of the following duties:
- To translate the documents to be produced within the scope of the project
- To provide interpretation assistance in project meetings
- To collect, record and preserve information on the Project activities and to do reporting
- To prepare status and progress reports, to conduct routine communications
- To assist the preparation of required material to be used in discussions and meetings
- To follow the implementation and performance of project outcomes through work plans, progress reports, budget, financial reports and expenditures
- To be in communication and cooperation with the UTBA and UNHCR regarding the implementation of the project and also with other related organizations
- To carry out other tasks
The duration of this position is 3 months (can be extended) and it is foreseen to start in October 2019 and end in December 2019
5. Organizational Framework
The physical working environment of the project linguistic assistant will be provided by the UTBA. The linguistic assistant will report to the UTBA, and work in close coordination and cooperation with other project staff and partners. The incumbent will sign an employment contract of definite duration with the UTBA, and will be employed within the International Relations and EU Centre.
6. Required Qualifications
- Undergraduate degree in related fields
- At least 2 years experience in related fields
- Computer skills
- Fluency in Turkish and English
- Experience in projects funded by the UN, donors and/or NGOs is an asset.
- Internships are not considered work experience.
- Compulsory military service is not considered work experience.
- Experiences gained prior to undergraduate education are not considered work experience.
7. Additional Documents Required
- One-page letter of intent explaining the relevance to the position
- CV including related work experience and at least two references
The candidates meeting the minimum requirements within the terms of reference will be short-listed. The short-listed candidates will be called for an interview. The interviews will be conducted in English/Turkish.
Türkiye Barolar Birliği Başkanlığı
Türkiye Barolar Birliği, yasaların bir meslek kuruluşu olarak kendisine yüklediği görevlerinin yanında, toplumun hukuki sorunlarıyla ilgili görüş ve önerileriyle de Türk hukuk sisteminin gelişmesine katkı sağlamaktadır. Bünyesinde oluşturduğu alt komisyonlarda; yasal düzenlemelerle ilgili çalışma yapmakta, özellikle demokrasi ve insan hakları adına uygulamada ortaya çıkan aksamalara karşı sorumluluk bilinciyle etkin bir biçimde mücadele vermektedir.