Background of program:
The Protection Officer is responsible for assisting the Protection Technical Coordinator to integrate a protection and gender perspective into all programme sectors and activities to ensure that gender and protection is mainstreamed and strengthened.
The Protection Officer will ensure that protection principles are upheld in all ACTED operations, projects and activities though technical guidance to field staff, the development of practical tools adapted to the context and programme sectors, the identification of protection risks and mitigation measures and the capacity building of programme and support staff on protection.
The Protection Officer will also be represented ACTED in all protection cluster meetings and other relevant sub-clusters meetings as requested by the Protection Technical Coordinator. She/he will ensure to communicate updated information, reports and tools related to protection, gender and GBV developed by other agencies in Turkey and North West Syria.
The Protection Officer’s responsibilities include:
1.Mainstreaming of protection and gender
- Collect and analyse secondary data related to protection, gender and GBV including from reports, assessment, programming and tools developed or published in Turkey and NWS.
- Support the preparation and dissemination of information related to gender and protection issues in Turkey and NWS.
- Support in the development of existing tools to ensure up to date and technically sound mechanisms are in place for the protection and gender mainstreaming among ACTED’s programming.
- Ensure that programme teams are aware of and use the tools developed to mainstream protection and gender in their programme.
- Support programme teams to conduct risks assessment and report on mitigation measures in place in their programme.
- Assist in identifying risks related to protection and gender in ACTED’s programming and document issues, lessons learnt and recommendations for change in internal processes.
- Support the development of awareness tools for beneficiaries on PSEA, Protection principles, and other protection topics as requested.
- Assist the M&E and Programme teams in conducting assessments, FGDs, KIIs as requested by the Protection Technical Coordinator.
2.Capacity building on protection
Training for ACTED staff
- Support the Protection Technical Coordinator to plan, prepare and facilitate training sessions for field staff on protection related topics especially protection mainstreaming, PSEA, child protection, GBV, gender mainstreaming, inclusion of persons with disabilities and any other relevant topics.
- As requested by the Protection Technical Coordinator, ensure that all training materials are available in both English and Arabic (and in turn translated as necessary).
- Participate in identifying training needs among staff and training opportunities delivered by protection agencies in Turkey and in NW Syria.
- Support in the tracking of all staff in Turkey and NW Syria with regards to the status of protection related trainings, and share a monthly update to the Protection Technical Coordinator.
Knowledge sharing for ACTED staff
- Support the Protection Technical Coordinator to plan and prepare knowledge sharing sessions for staff on diverse protection related topics.
- Support the translation of the sessions into Arabic.
- Responsible to conduct the knowledge sharing sessions for staff based in Turkey and share with the field team in NW Syria.
Training and capacity building for non-protection actors
- Support the Protection Technical Coordinator to plan, prepare and facilitate training sessions for relevant partners and stakeholders on protection related topics especially protection mainstreaming, PSEA, child protection, GBV, gender mainstreaming, inclusion of persons with disabilities and any other relevant topics
External representation and protection partner’s relationships
- When requested by the Protection Technical Coordinator, represent ACTED in relevant cluster and working group meetings including the NWS Protection Cluster and the PSEA Network.
- Support the Protection Technical Coordinator in responding to requests from the PSEA Network
Partner’s relationships and networking
- Establish direct contact with protection organisations based in Turkey and in NWS in order to support the referral pathways.
- Support, in coordination with the Protection Technical Coordinator, the referral of protection cases identified by ACTED to relevant agencies.
- Establish working relations with protection organisations based in Turkey and in NWS and receive update on protection programming.
- Submit weekly reports to the Protection TC on protection mainstreaming activities conducted and/or followed up.
- Provide regular and timely updates on progress and challenges to the Protection Technical Coordinator and to the Area Coordinators.
- When requested, support in submitting monthly factsheets, analysis report, etc.
Candidates must have the following qualifications:
- University degree in a field relevant to the position: Psychology, Sociology, Law, Education or any other relevant discipline.
- Proven experience (minimum 6 months) in similar position with a National, Local or International organisation
- Strong understanding and knowledge on gender, protection and human rights
- Proven experience in facilitating training – preferably protection related training
- Excellent communication skills, interpersonal and problem-solving skills, creativity and flexibility
- High commitment to promote gender equality, humanitarian principles and values and encourage diversity and inclusion wherever possible
- Fluency in in spoken and written Arabic requested
- Very good verbal and written communication skills in English
- Turkish language skills desired.
- Experience with Microsoft Word and Excel required.
- ACTED is committed to promote gender equality Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply equally to this position. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply.
- The successful candidate will be required to adhere to ACTED Code of conduct and ACTED Global Policies especially regarding the protection of children and the protection against sexual exploitation and abuse. A rigorous reference and background checks will be undertaken including on any allegation of child abuse and sexual abuse.
- This position is open only to Turkish ID holder and legally able to work in Turkey.
ACTED currently has operations in northern Syria and Turkey. The activities include WASH, Non-Food Items, Food Security, Capacity Development, and Information Management in camps, urban and rural areas.