Medecins du Monde Turkey (MDM-T) / Dünya Doktorları Dernegi (DDD) is a Turkish based humanitarian non-governmental organisation that facilitates access to healthcare for populations affected by armed conflict, violence, natural disasters, disease, famine, poverty and exclusion.
Our organization collaborates with partners and key stakeholders to implement projects that facilitate access to primary and secondary-level healthcare services to respond to the medical needs of displaced population.
DDD is the 16th member of the Doctors of the World International Network that is committed to meeting the health needs of vulnerable people globally.
Since 2015, DDD implements programs in both Turkey and Syria providing refugee and IDP communities with free access to healthcare services. DDD works with a range of humanitarian professionals and technical experts to provide Primary Healthcare (PHC), Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS)services as well as sexual and reproductive health (SRH).
Since the beginning of the Syria and Iraqi crises, Turkey has become host to over 3 million refugees, migrants and asylum seekers which led to an increasing demand for health services. In this context, DDD’s intervention aims to assist local public health systems in providing and improving access to health and health related services to vulnerable populations among refugees and migrants in Turkey, specifically in Hatay, Izmir and Istanbul. In Syria, DDD runs health facilities in Idlib and Afrin provinces to deliver health-related services to IDPs.
Hierarchical & Functional links
Based in Antakya MHPSS Center - Hatay, the Project Psycho-Social Counsellor is under the management of the Project Facility Manager; and technically supervised by the MHPSS Referent.
- Provision of psychosocial support and counselling
- Strengthen referral pathways
- Ensure activities are up to standard
- Analysis, Detection and Reduction of Risk Factors
- Develop and Perform Preventive Measures
- Other duties
Provision of psychosocial support and counselling
- Under the supervision of the Facility Manager, she/he will assess the needs of persons and families referred by the Social workers to confirm the need for psychosocial support;
- She/he will define appropriate activities according to the needs identified (individual counselling, the number of sessions, and the type of activity planned) and will follow up those persons;
- She/he will organise individual sessions, including music, theatre, sport, visual art and indoor/outdoor activities as appropriate.
Strengthen referral pathways
- Under the supervision of the Facility Manager, she/he will represent the Community Mental Health Centre (CMHC) during external bilateral and multilateral meetings and coordinate regularly with mental health and psychosocial support actors, stakeholders, and Partners;
- She/he will strengthen field coordination and referral pathways between mental health and psychosocial support actors in the community by sharing accurate information on the services provided;
- She/he will make sure to provide minutes to the Facility Manager of all the meetings attended and raise any issue that is of DDD interest;
- In coordination with the case management team, she/he will advise for external referral to psychologist, psychiatrist, and/or other Mental Health services if needed.
Ensure activities are up to standard
- S/he will ensure disaggregated and cumulative tracking of beneficiaries and documentation of all activities and outcomes;
- S/he will maintain program files and documentation as per program management minimum standards, including maintaining the confidentiality and security of PSS beneficiary data;
- S/he will ensure programming is on track to meet objectives; reporting regularly on important issues that are cross-cutting.
Analysis, Detection and Reduction of Risk Factors
- In collaboration with the mental health team, explore and detect potential risk factors influencing mental health status of the target population;
- When required, coordinate with other stakeholders to reduce and/or eliminate potential risk factors.
Develop and Perform Preventive Measures
- In collaboration with the mental health team, develop and implement innovative preventive mental health interventions and activities to be undertaken within the community.
- She/he will write monthly reports on all the activities implemented as requested by the Facility Manager according to the project and management indicators;
- She/he will assist the Facility Manager in providing sufficient and detailed information for program reporting and evaluation;
- Based on the on-going monitoring of the activities, she/he will ensure lessons learnt and success stories from the project are documented and reported to her/his manager;
- She/he will ensure that each of her/his sessions is documented to comply with donor audit requirements.
- Provide a mission report and/or handover document at the end of contract.
- Participate in internal work meetings;
- Report any security related issues to the line manager;
- Support operational organisation of field trips and DDD activities;
- Any other relevant duties requested by the line manager.
NB: considering the purpose and values of the organisation, DDD requests to its employee complete flexibility in term of duties and commitment, as their job description can be adjusted throughout the year according to needs and priorities.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in psychology
- At least 2 years’ experience as clinical psychologist. An experience in similar role in humanitarian assistance/with other Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) is an asset;
- Mandatory experience in psychological first aid and in providing trainings, organizing group counselling;
Skills and qualities required
- Good command of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel Outlook);
- Personal qualities as diplomacy, patient confidentiality, multi-cultural flexibility, stress management and a strong sense of integrity;
- To be receptive, sensitive and an excellent listener;
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills with the ability to articulate an idea clearly and concisely in public, with good understanding of what at stakes;
- Strong planning and organizational skills and good ability to make proactive suggestions;
- Able to manage priorities, take initiatives and work without constant supervision;
- Ability to establish strong connections with other stakeholders;
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stressful situation.
- Fluent in English, Arabic and Turkish, oral and written.
Dünya Doktorları Derneği is an equal opportunity employer whereby we ensure all hiring and employment decisions, and operates all programs, services, and functions without the practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
How to apply:
- Please apply with your CV and motivation letter in ENGLISH through our website.
- The deadline for submitting the applications is 05.01.2020.
Due to the urgency to fill this post, DDD reserves the right to review the CVs on a rolling basis and selected candidates may be interviewed prior to the closing dates listed, therefore early applications are encouraged.
DDD is not in a position to respond to every applicant individually due to the anticipated high number of applications.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
DDD retains the discretion to re-advertise the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment, to offer a contract with a modified job description or for a different duration, or to offer a contract at a lower grade.
Dünya Doktorları Derneği
DDD in Turkey, in collaboration with different partners, is running a project aiming at facilitating access and orienting beneficiaries to primary and secondary level of health care services, providing Psycho Social Support for the refugees and migrants in Turkey.
- Deputy Logistic Coordinator
- PROJECT PSYCHOSOCIAL COUNSELLOR-BAĞCILAR
- MEAL ASSISTANT - AFRIN
- MEAL ASSISTANT-IDLIB
- LIAISON OFFICER - AFRIN
- ADMIN & HR ASSISTANT-AFRIN
- TEAM LEADER (LEAD DOCTOR) - AFRIN
- INTERNIST DOCTOR - IDLIB
- PAEDIATRICIAN - IDLIB
- LABORATORY DOCTOR - IDLIB
- GRANTS MANAGER - ISTANBUL
- DATA ENTRY OFFFICER - IDLIB