Position Name: Protection Assistant
Duty Station: Samsun, Türkiye
RET Turkey works on bridging the gap between humanitarian and development assistance, focusing primarily on vulnerable and marginalised youth residing within country. RET envisions a world in which vulnerable young people overcome multidimensional adversities and are capacitated to lead their own journey towards rebuilding more resilient and peaceful communities. To achieve this goal, RET relies on two decades of experience bridging humanitarian and developmental approaches to act efficiently within our main areas of interventions.
Towards that end, RET has invested in designing evidence-based cross-cutting assistance interventions that aim, among other things, at:
- Countering the marginalisation of vulnerable adolescents by endorsing“a gender-balanced approach”to youth agency pillared around: (i) cultivating leadership congruent with fostering youth peace ambassadorship; (ii) designing and administering technical and vocational capacity building modules conducive to economic integration; and (iii) supporting youth resilience and socio-educational programming (including basic education), as a conduit for conflict transformation and sustainable peace building.
- Responding to the lack of conflict mitigation mechanisms by building “cross-cultural bridges” between host and displaced communities through: (i) creating platforms for inter-communal and cross-generational dialogue and confidence building; and (ii) promoting youth civic empowerment, peer-to-peer mentoring and anti- violence advocacy initiatives that encourage social cohesion and bolster community resilience; and
- Preventing violent extremism through the: (i) promotion of democratic values and practices via educational programming and learning for responsible citizenship; and (ii) provisioning of psychosocial support and counselling.
Since 2014, RET Turkey has been amongst the forefront responders to Syrian crisis, reaching out to over 200’000 beneficiaries, whilst implementing a broad range of interventions, in the fields of: (i) Education; (ii) Community-Based Protection, (iii) Child Protection; (iv) Livelihoods & Self-Reliance; (v) Social Cohesion; (vi) Youth Empowerment; and (vii) Institutional Strengthening /Capacity Building of local and public partners. RET' s mission is to alleviate suffering and catalyzes sustainable development, in crises, conflicts and fragile contexts.
Protection Assistant Duties and Responsibilities
- Identify and register cases with protection concerns identified in centre, via outreach activities, self-referral and/or external identification and referred to RET services.
- Conduct assessment of the case and determine vulnerability for the services, prepare case plans and implement under supervision of Protection Coordinator.
- Ensure qualitative interventions through regular monitoring, review and follow-up
- Measure and monitor the risk levels of the all cases registered in RET services using relevant tools/scales to be developed by Protection Coordinator.
- Work in close coordination with Psychosocial Counsellors, RAT PSS Trainers and Protection Manager.
- Attend supervision sessions, follow-up meetings and staff trainings.
Profile & Skills
- At least a bachelor degree or a master’s degree in pedagogical guidance or other related area.
- Prior experience in working the children, youth, and refugees is an asset.
- Prior understanding of the region and community to work with is an asset.
- Prior knowledge of Humanitarian Principles, conflicts setting, IDPs, refugees and Syrian Crisis in Turkey as well as protection frameworks.
- Excellent inter-personal and communication skills, including ability to work with diverse group of people
- Excellent and dynamic facilitation skills both in 1:1 and in a group setting
- Strong (self-) organizational skills and flexibility particularly in working hours.
- Ability to meet deadlines, and work under pressure
- Good knowledge of written and spoken Turkish and Arabic is a must
- Kurdish or English is an asset.
Note: Due to the urgency to fill this post, RET reserves the right to review the CVs on a rolling basis and selected candidates may be interviewed prior to the closing dates listed, therefore early applications are encouraged. RET is not in a position to respond to every applicant individually due to the anticipated high number of applications. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.