Post Title: Protection Expert
Organization: Welthungerhilfe (WHH)
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Duration: 1 year with the possibility of extension (2 months probation)
Starting: As soon as possible
Benefits: Competitive package
Application closing Date: 23/08/2020
Welthungerhilfe is a private, non-profit-making, politically independent and non-denominational organization that supports people living in deprivation and poverty, irrespective of the color of their skin, their religious beliefs or their worldview. WHH is working in the fields of development cooperation and humanitarian aid, relief aid, rehabilitation and reconstruction.
The main purpose of the project is to facilitate access to qualified protection services for people in need, whether provided by public institutions or by providing services directly through WHH or through project partners.
Additionally, the project will focus on capacity building for local partners and duty bearers alike, as well as engaging with targeted communities in order to identify protection risks through protection monitoring.
WHH implements projects in Turkey assisting Syrians under Temporary Protection in their various needs, ranging from the provision of basic needs requirements through cash transfer, protection related interventions and livelihoods activities. WHH receives funds from its donors for its projects. At times the duration of the announced post may be extended, however if funds are cancelled or cannot finance an extension, the activities may stop completely or partially before the envisaged date and the employment contract shall be terminated.
The Protection Expert is responsible to technically monitor and guide all the protection related operations within the project. He/she will be the main contact person to ensure international standards (CHS, AAP etc.) are embedded in every-day work of the project. He/she should coordinate and supervise the case management / social work teams of WHH and its local partners in different locations (İstanbul and three satellite cities). This includes daily challenges and decision making for protection related cases (especially high-risk and/or complicated cases), as well as developing the capacity of the teams. Protection Expert will represent WHH vis-a-vis other NGOs, in coordination efforts with local authorities and other stakeholders for protection related matters.
Responsibilities of Protection Expert:
Technical advice and guidance
- Provide policy guidance and operational support to WHH and project partners on all protection related issues.
- Coordinate the implementation and monitoring of programmes ensuring that identified protection needs are adequately addressed.
- Actively participate in cluster/coordination meetings and ensure effective information flow for updates.
- Analyze the trends and gaps in the field and produce high quality Protection Monitoring Reports.
- Monitor protection programming in terms of project targets and quality of the services including Child Protection
- Ensure the coordination among project teams / partners
- Ensure the relevant standards and lessons learned are implemented in operations
- Design and conduct protection-related capacity building activities for project staff
- Provide technical supervision and guidance to protection teams
- Monitor the case referrals and case documentation
- Provide support to organize awareness raising activities for refugees and increase the quality of outreach work
- Assist in designing protection programming and contribution to overall protection strategy of the country office.
- Support in writing new proposals, policies and guidelines
Reporting and Communications:
- Weekly and/or monthly-based reporting to Head of Project
- Oversee all protection related staff in technical issues
- Manage programme database and coordinate with M&E Officer
- Consult with project partners
- Sustain relations with stakeholders in the field
- Coordinate with different departments within the organization
- Attend and feedback to relevant coordination meetings, clusters and/or working groups
- Represent WHH towards other NGOs in protection sector, as well as public institutions
- Respect confidentiality of work contents and rights of the clients
- Maintain professional boundaries at all times
In addition to the above, the Protection Expert may be asked to carry out other duties requested by the Head of Project.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in social sciences and humanities; preferably Social Work and Sociology. Master’s degree in a relevant field is an asset. Proven academic studies in human rights, refugee law and migration management would be desirable. Certified trainings on refugee protection and humanitarian work standards.
Work Experience: At least 4 years of experience in protection-related positions, including experience in case management, social work, child protection.
- Previous working experience in NGOs and/or international organizations is a must
- Previous experience in working in accordance to Individual Protection Assistance SOPs and other related international standards is a must
- Experience in overseeing and guiding staff is a strong asset
- Knowledge of the Turkey refugee context (Syrian and non-Syrian) is a must, knowledge of Istanbul context is a strong asset.
- Previous working experience in ECHO-funded projects is an asset
- Experience in partner and team management
- Experience in reporting and drafting guidelines
- Sound knowledge of protection, case management, social work and community development
- Experience in organizing training and capacity building activities.
- Good presentation skills
- Good command of Microsoft office tools (MS Word, MS Excel, Outlook at a minimum)
- Good team player, strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work within different cultural environments
- Self-motivated and able to work proactively
- Ability to motivate and develop skills of others
- Decision-making skills and problem-solving ability
- Very good communication skills
- Attentive to details
Language Skills: Excellent command of English and Turkish (written and spoken). Knowledge of Arabic is an asset.
The Protection Expert will be obliged to maintain confidentiality regarding all information obtained in the course of his/her work during the employment at Welthungerhilfe and thereafter.
The applicants should submit a letter of motivation and CV in English to gelbasla.com by 23/08/2020 at the latest. CV should include information about education, qualifications, professional experience and professional references.
Referance code: Job Application Protection Expert –TUR1006
Please be advised that only short-listed candidates will be contacted. WHH reserves the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.