Medecins du Monde Turkey (MDM-T) / Dünya Doktorları Dernegi (DDD) is a Turkish based humanitarian non-governmental organisation that facilitates access to healthcare for populations affected by armed conflict, violence, natural disasters, disease, famine, poverty and exclusion.
Our organization collaborates with partners and key stakeholders to implement projects that facilitate access to primary and secondary-level healthcare services to respond to the medical needs of displaced population.
DDD is the 16th member of the Doctors of the World International Network that is committed to meeting the health needs of vulnerable people globally.
Since 2015, DDD implements programs in both Turkey and Syria providing refugee and IDP communities with free access to healthcare services. DDD works with a range of humanitarian professionals and technical experts to provide Primary Healthcare (PHC), Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS)services as well as sexual and reproductive health (SRH).
Since the beginning of the Syria and Iraqi crises, Turkey has become host to over 3 million refugees, migrants and asylum seekers which led to an increasing demand for health services. In this context, DDD’s intervention aims to assist local public health systems in providing and improving access to health and health related services to vulnerable populations among refugees and migrants in Turkey, specifically in Hatay, Izmir and Istanbul. In Syria, DDD runs health facilities in Idlib and Afrin provinces to deliver health-related services to IDPs.
Hierarchical & Functional links
Based in Antakya Office-Hatay, the Protection Manager Syria works under the line management of the Syria Program Coordinator to support the Syria program team in Antakya and inside Syria.
- Lead Protection Mainstreaming efforts across DDD programming inside Syria;
- Supporting and guiding DDD program team to ensure protection mechanisms are standardized across the organization;
- Developing protection guidelines following international standards and ensuring that they are effectively understood and implemented by the program team in the field;
- Working closely with the MHPSS team, Medical team and field coordinators to provide technical guidance in Protection Mainstreaming;
- Assess coordination and field team’s skills and knowledge related to protection mainstreaming, prepare a capacity building plan and provide ongoing trainings and technical support to the teams;
- Support Medical and MHPSS teams to ensure that protection referral mechanisms is implemented in all DDD health facilities, according to inter-agency pathways defined by Protection Cluster;
- Work closely with Medical and MHPSS teams to improve service provision for Gender Based Violence survivors in DDD primary health care centres;
- Work closely with MEAL department to ensure that quality needs assessments are conducted;
- Working closely with DDD Coordination team to develop and implement a Protection against Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) policy for DDD operations in Syria;
- Working closely with MEAL Department to improve accountability practices implemented in the field, focusing on review of Complaints and Feedback Mechanism;
- Ensure, in line with DDD internal rules and regulations, donor regulations and international humanitarian standard (such as SPHERE) are applied during the management of the project
- Whenever possible, conduct cross-border field visits to assess program quality and progress toward objectives, provide trainings, facilitate collective problem solving with staff and other stakeholders to address challenges;
- Monitor the risks and threats around the project(s), documenting the situation and analyzing the consequences of political decisions and share with the team in a timely manner.
Coordination and partnerships:
- Proactively participate in relevant technical coordination meetings and working groups
- Liaising with non-state actors, UN agencies, NGOs, and donors at field site level within all relevant sectors, in coordination with DDD executive management and other coordinators.
- Prepare Protection Actors service mapping in areas of intervention;
- Provide technical input for donor proposals and reports;
- Prepare regular updates and reports on activities and progress made;
- Ability to travel whenever requested to locations within Turkey;
- Possible cross-border visits to Afrin District (optional);
- Any other relevant tasks, as requested by the line manager.
Compliance & Ethics
Promote and encourage a culture of compliance and ethics throughout Dünya Doktorları Derneği. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of Dünya Doktorları Derneği and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity. Communicates these values to staff and to partners and requires them to adhere to these values.
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse
Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within Dünya Doktorları Derneği and amongst beneficiaries served by Dünya Doktorları Derneği.
NB: considering the purpose and values of the organisation, DDD requests to its employee complete flexibility in term of duties and commitment, as their job description and job title can be adjusted throughout the year according to needs and priorities.
Knowledge & Qualification
- University degree or equivalent level public health disciplines, social sciences, international development or similar.
- At least 3 years of significant experience in similar positions or in humanitarian sector;
- Knowledge of the Syrian crisis;
- Experience working on protection mainstreaming is essential;
- Experience working on GBV programming is essential;
- Strong knowledge about inclusion programming, including gender equality, inclusion of persons with disabilities and older persons.
- Demonstrated experience and skills in training and capacity-building.
- Required: English (oral and written) and Arabic (oral and written);
- Preferred: Turkish
General Qualities required:
- Analytical thinking to evaluate different approaches/solutions for a specific environment;
- Ability and flexibility to understand the cultural and political environment;
- Ability to seek, collect, and critically analyses data and information needed to achieve the tasks;
- Listening skills;
- Written and spoken communication skills;
- Interpersonal skills and able to communicate with people at all levels;
- Ability to work with a team as well as to work independently;
- Flexibility and capacity of adapt to complex and changing contexts;
- Organisation, planning and prioritising abilities;
- Ability to work in an international context and collaborate with international and national experts;
- Familiar with multicultural environment;
Dünya Doktorları Derneği is an equal opportunity employer whereby we ensure all hiring and employment decisions, and operates all programs, services, and functions without the practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
How to apply:
- Please apply with your CV and motivation letter in ENGLISH through our website.
- The deadline for submitting the applications is 27/06/2020.
Due to the urgency to fill this post, DDD reserves the right to review the CVs on a rolling basis and selected candidates may be interviewed prior to the closing dates listed, therefore early applications are encouraged.
DDD is not in a position to respond to every applicant individually due to the anticipated high number of applications.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
DDD retains the discretion to re-advertise the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment, to offer a contract with a modified job description or for a different duration, or to offer a contract at a lower grade.
Dünya Doktorları Derneği
DDD in Turkey, in collaboration with different partners, is running a project aiming at facilitating access and orienting beneficiaries to primary and secondary level of health care services, providing Psycho Social Support for the refugees and migrants in Turkey.