Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfill their potential.We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised $2 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, ensuring that they are able to survive, learn and be protected whatever their circumstances, including in times of humanitarian crisis.
As part of our strategic plan to reach ‘Every Last Child’, we have made it a global priority to build humanitarian, advocacy and campaigning capability, to become truly global – driving stronger and more diversified funding, and to maximize the use of our knowledge, systems, capacity and culture. We are doing whatever it takes to reach the world’s most excluded children. With your help we can ensure the world puts children first, and that we can tackle the barriers that prevent them from surviving and thriving. We won’t stop until every last child survives and fulfills their potential.
Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the potholder to have some contact with or access to children or young people
As member of the NW Syria Management Team, The Safety and Security Coordinator will advise on security-related policy and courses of action; make recommendations and provide support for the integration of security considerations into partner implemented programmes in NWS; and liaise with local authorities in Turkey to facilitate the work and movement of SCI staff inside Turkey. The Safety and Security Coordinator will facilitate the implementation of Save the Children’s Safety and Security Policy and Standards within country programmes and help drive systemic change in the quality of safety and security management and contribute to building solid Safety and Security Risk Management System, in compliance with SCI’s safety and security minimum standards. He/She will also contribute to reinforcing Security Culture within Organization and Partners.
Major part of duties and responsibilities will include building capacity of partner agencies (Syrian NGOs), to enable them to build and effectively manage their own Safety and Security Management System.
He/she will be expected to undertake a leadership role in an emergency and support NWS staff at a senior level in the field.
Reports to: Head of Office, NWS
Matrix reporting: Safety and Security Director,Syria Response Office, Amman, Jordan
Budget responsibility: Responsible for developing and monitoring Safety and Security budget for NWS
(NWS HoO remains the budget owner/ budget approval authority)
Location: Hatay, Antep and Istanbul (travelling is required for all cities)
Contract length: 12 months
KEY AREAS OFACCOUNTABILITY:
SC focused support
- Report to the HoO, NWS, on a daily basis, the changing security situation and context through detailed collecting and verification of information – both in North West Syria (partner programme implementation area) and South East Turkey (office location).
- Advise of any immediate changes in security context which may affect programming ability.
- Conduct and update Safety and Security Risk assessments of field areas in Syria and activities in Turkey.
- Ensure close liaison with the Country S&S Director.
Report safety and security related incidents focusing on NWS presence in Turkey. Follow-up and support on incidents as required. Update the incident mapping database on a regular basis.
- Ensure required safety and security equipment is acquired, delivered, documented, and maintained.
- Ensure solid Hibernation, Relocation, and Evacuation Plan (HERP) is in Place.
- Ensure Safety and Security Measures required by SCI standards, as well as NWS Security Risk SSMP and HERP, are implemented, regularly assessed, and documented.
- Ensure the SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures) are in effect being observed by all staff.
- Coordinating with all relevant line managers, ensure that all staff are briefed and trained (including drivers and guards) regularly on personal security issues and that security procedures are understood and respected at all times.
- Assisting in Incident / Crisis Management when required.
- Assist in delivering briefings and trainings to staff, as required.
- Coordination with law enforcement agencies and other government sectors, when required.
- Provide feedback to field staff in response to security-related inquiries.
- Provide regular Reporting to HoO, NWS and SSD, SRO, giving incident and trend analysis along with recommendation for Field Office
- Issue important updates, alerts, and advisories, though Security Communications Tree.
Partner focused support
- Dedicate at least 40% on capacity building support to Syrian NGO partners, with a particular focus on 3 key partners. Support (including deployments to partner offices) will include capacity assessment and capacity building; delivering training and ongoing advise where possible
- Sharing relevant S&S information, coordinating on issues related to SCI NWS field programs and activities.
- Receive and monitor partner reports on security related incidents on partner field operations in NWS.
- Collect and compile weekly report on local information relative to partner areas of operation.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE AND ATTRIBUTES
· At least 3 years of experience in the field,
. Understanding of current humanitarian safety and security practices and issues affecting aid work globally.
· Fluent in English and Arabic (written and spoken).
· Experience of working with partners and support in capacity building of partners
· Familiarity with the current security context in North West Syria and South East Turkey
. Good interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate at all levels, establish professional networks, and coordinate with local and country authorities, donors,International Organisations and local NGOs.
· Proactive and self-motivated with the ability to work autonomously in a highly stressful and challenging environment.
· Experience in Security Risk Assessment.
· Graduate Degree or equivalent in Security Management, social studies, or related field.
· Strong leadership skills.
· Ability to formulate and communicate analysis of a changing security environment in a neutral and impartial manner.
· Proven experience implementing and sustaining compliance with a security management system,preferably in a conflict environment.
· Proven skill sin concise and succinct report-writing. Ability to priorities security related tasks and complete reports to deadlines.
· Proven knowledge of MS office applications and IT literacy and capacity to learn and use other packages.
· Commitment to the aims and principles of Save the Children. In particular, a good understanding of the Save the Children mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin all aspects of the job. Commitment to Save the Children child protection policy.
· Working knowledge of Turkish is highly desirable
· Proven experience of conducting trainings.
· Experience in INGO security or similar position
· Experience in Crisis Incident Management
Please note that SCI is recruiting on behalf of a 3rd party contractor for this position.
Only one person will be recruited for this position who will be travelling between Hatay, Gaziantep and Istanbul.
CHILD SAFE GUARDING POLICY:
Any employee, consultant, contractor or the supplier undertaking an activity on behalf of SCI must sign the Child Safeguarding – Declaration of Acceptance Form and comply with the SCIs Child Safeguarding Policy which is a statement of SCI’s commitment to preventing abuse and protecting children with whom it comes into contact.
This extends not only to children with whom SCI and its partners work directly, but also includes children whom staff are responsible for. SCI believes that the situation of children must be improved through the promotion of their rights supported and demonstrated by all members of staff. Save the Children International’s Code of Conduct sets out the standards which all staff members must adhere to.
Benefits Package provided to National Staff:
- Salary commensurate with the pay-grade of the position.
- Transportation allowance
- Annual leave
- Private Medical insurance.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Please apply in English by sending your up to date CV with a cover letter as a single document explaining your salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org and mention the position that you are applying on the subject section. The advertisement will be closed on November 29th, 2018 at 5:30 PM (Turkey local time).
Please kindly be informed that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.