Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Safety and Liaison Officer
About the Job
This role has an area focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the area. The role contributes to the development of area strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to base operations, administrative assistance and technical support and ensure that programs and projects activities are implemented in a secure, safe and effective manner.
Communication & information:
• Support and facilitate the communication and coordination with relevant stakeholders on all matters relating to the safety of DRC staff within geographical area of responsibility
• Collect, verify, analyze and report information that affects, or may affect, DRC operations
• Prepare and submit Safety Incident Reports (SIR)
• Monitor staff movements, report on movement irregularities and initiate emergency response if needed
• Ensure that DRC drivers follow Movement SOP and comply with DRC standards
• Disseminate safety alerts to staff
• Brief visitors and new staff members on safety procedures
Safety Risk Management:
• Contribute to Safety Risk Assessments (SRAs)
• Ensure MOSS compliance, report shortcomings to Area Manager and Safety Coordinator
• Ensure that appropriate access controls are in place for all DRC facilities
• Contribute the procurement and issue of safety and protective equipment
• Conduct regular site assessments and advise on mitigation measures
• Ensure follow-up audits
• Support the Safety Coordinator in updating the Safety Level System (SLS)
• Support the Safety Coordinator in designing and implementing training on safety procedures for staff
• Maintain a network of contacts and represent DRC at safety meetings
• Any other duties related to the nature of the job as directed by the supervisor
• Assist the project managers and Area Manager to enable the implementation of the projects by liaising and coordinating with Area Level authorities, and other appropriate local authorities on all matters relating to the DRC staff members and assets, as well as the activities of DRC;
• Support the smooth running of the activities through maintaining a constructive and inclusive relationship with concerned authorities, partners and other agencies;
• Meet with the representatives of the different administrative services as often as necessary to obtain necessary permissions and MoUs for the implementation of the projects.
• Keep Area Manager informed of any changes in the administrative procedures for obtaining key documents;
• Provide the team with regular updates analyzing Turkey’s emerging political, socio-economic and administrative developments;
• Maintain and develop day-to-day contacts with key authorities and ensure the prompt sharing of information, conclusions or messages;
•Draft monthly reporting and analysis of DRC relationships and coordination efforts on Area level.
•Compile and submit monthly/periodic DRC activity reports to the relevant authorities
To be successful in this role, you must have relevant university degree (e.g. political science, international development, economics) or equivalent professional qualification
Moreover, we also expect the following:
Required experience and competencies
• Minimum 2 years of relevant experience in security/Liaison operations and management.
• Full professional proficiency in English
• Fluency in local language: Turkish or Arabic
• Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
• Stable, moral and robust character and a good team player
• Excellent communication skills.
• Proven commitment to accountability practices
• High personal and professional integrity
• Excellent skill in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Training in safety, fire and evacuation procedures
• Training in safety and disaster management
• Experience in negotiating access for humanitarian or other agencies
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 11 Months (renewable dependent on both funding and performance)
Employment Band: H
Designation of Duty Station: Areas West - Hatay and Kahramanmaraş
Start date: 17.02.2020
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Nationals.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 30.01.2020