Senior Advisor, Operations, ESSN III
|International Federation Of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies||Ankara|
IFRC is currently seeking a Senior Advisor, Operations to support the ESSNIII team based in Ankara.
Under the supervision and guidance of the Operations Manager, the senior advisor will support liaisons and operational management activities relating to the ESSN programme. He/she is responsible for keeping on top of Partnership developments and priorities arising from the implementation of the ESSN. The post holder will, provide expertise and insights on local, national and regional policies related to implementation of the ESSN. The postholder will support the coordination with external stakeholder engagement with governmental bodies and external partners in Turkey.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist Operations Manager in preparation/update of the risk analysis and operational planning documents and periodically monitor the management of risks and report on any actions taken;
- Identify and build relationships, and sustain networks, with key professionals NGOs engaged in the social economic support and; government stakeholders; UN Agencies, and CBOs;
- Advise the government on the IFRC programme and represent IFRC at all-levels of communication, coordination, discussion and partnership with national and local authorities in regards to IFRC programme activities and strategies for ESSN, TRC and refugees in Turkey
- Supervise other programme staff; provide training and technical guidance in their work;
- Perform other related duties as required.
Technical support related to policy work
- Keep the programme and operational staff updated on the latest migration- and refugee-related political, social, economic and other developments, including changes in legislation and any policy changes that might affect them.
- Analyse complex policies and prepare summaries for programme and operational staff, providing them with up-to-date information upon request and pro-actively on own initiative.
- Engage in policy discussions and provide input into policy decisions, as relevant.
- Support policy advocacy related activities
Technical support to M&E and reporting
- Support preparation and dissemination of timely analytical and critical reports including proposals for improvements in operation and the scope of programmes;
- Design and maintain databases of indicators relating to project logframes;
- Ensure the maintenance of all records, accounts and books as stipulated in the Plan of Operations or the Basic Agreement and ensure that reports required for IFRC are accurate and provided as scheduled;
- Prepare periodic reports on the progress of operational projects and related government and other plans;
Coordination and representation
- Liaise with Turkish Red Crescent and other project implementing authorities and undertake visits to view project outputs and communities to ensure that progress is made in the achievement of project objectives;
- Represent IFRC and engage in coordination groups and liaison with other actors on ESSN related topics.
- University degree in Public Administration, Law, Social and Political Science, Economics, International Relations, Business Administration, Development Studies or a field relevant to international development assistance.
- Post-graduate degree in related area preferred (politics, international relations, law, public policy or public relations)
- At least five years of experience in supporting the implementation of technical programs, especially cash assistance, basic needs and livelihood activities, and/or social protection
- Experience in policy analysis and policy mapping, advocacy, or related activities
- Experience working on migration with emphasis on policy, strategy, programme design and implementation
- Has solid understanding of, established networks or experience working with key stakeholders and related government bodies responding to the Syria-crisis in Turkey.
- Demonstrates the ability to interpret basic data in the context of IFRC specialised fields to contribute to technical programme design, implementation and monitoring.
- Experience working in an international or political environment, preferably with government, United Nations, Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, or similar organisation
- Experience in working in or with Turkish Government institutions
- Experience in stakeholder engagement and/or advocacy
Knowledge, skills and languages
- Strong knowledge of Turkish Government institutions and understanding of related protocols
- Understanding of government structures with particular focus on the Syria crisis response in Turkey.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of local, national and regional policies and policy-making processes related to migration
- Ability to analyse complex policies and translate theoretical knowledge about policy areas into reporting and programming
- Knowledge and good understanding of migration developments and debates, refugee issues and social protection.
- Excellent communications and presentation skills, both verbal and written
- Strong organisational skills, methodical and logical approach to tasks and problem solving
- Ability to organise, analyse and synthesise large amounts of information
- Excellent networking, relationship and diplomatic skills with all stakeholders including government authorities and Turkish Red Crescent
- Sound knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
- Understanding of relevant legal frameworks and legislations related to third country national residing in Turkey (including but not limited to temporary protection legislations, law on foreigners and international protection, etc.)
- Fluently spoken and written English and Turkish
- Good command of another IFRC official language (French, Spanish or Arabic)
Competencies and values
Communication; Collaboration and Teamwork; Judgement and Decision Making; National Society and Customer Relations; Creativity and Innovation; Building Trust; Functional competencies: Strategic orientation; Building alliances.
The Federation is an equal opportunity employer.