Senior Child Protection Officer
MAYA VAKFI is seeking a highly motivated individual to join our team as a Senior Child Protection Officer at our Balat Child Center in Istanbul.
Project Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Project Duration: Until end of December 2021 (7 months)
ABOUT MAYA FOUNDATION:
Maya Vakfı is a non-profit organization that offers mental health and psycho-social support (MHPSS) to refugee and host community children who have experienced traumatic life events, including challenging socio-economic conditions, domestic abuse, immigration due to war, and/or losing loved ones to violence. Maya Vakfı provides trauma rehabilitation activities for children in the Balat Field Office through creative workshops which give opportunities for these children to express themselves through art, music, dance, and movement activities to help them cope with their trauma and aid with their recovery. In addition, Maya also places great importance on integrating Psychosocial Support techniques into the education system through its Trauma-Informed Schools (TIS) Program. Strengthening the knowledge and know-how of civil servants and the civil society sector is enhanced through Capacity Building Initiatives and through its Volunteer Program Maya Vakfı provides training, support, and mentoring to volunteers on Psychosocial Support, trauma rehabilitation, and child protection.
Maya Vakfi’s Trauma-Informed Schools (TIS) program aims to provide a holistic approach by providing training, support, and follow-up to school teachers and counselors, psycho-social sessions to children, positive parenting seminars to parents, and activities to prevent bullying in schools. In cooperation with the Ministry of National Education (MoNE), Maya Vakfi has authorization to implement the TIS program in seven provinces across Turkey.
Maya Foundation is committed to protect and improve the welfare of the individuals who are worked with and provided service, to create safe spaces for them and it waits from all employees and volunteers to fulfill this commitment. Maya Foundation adopts a zero-tolerance policy on behaviours incompatible with the foundation’s targets and principles especially sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. Additionally, Maya Foundation adopts Child Safe Standards and Principles of Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse and mainstreams these principles in foundation studies. All of the selected candidates are expected to adapt these standards and principles, for this reason all candidates will complete stages of reference and background check. Background check will include academic background and employment history verification. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information within the scope of background check.
- Supervise and manage the child protection officer/officers and provide necessary and timely guidance and support to them.
- Taking a leading role in improving Maya Vakfi’s child protection policy and strategy documents which lays the groundwork for intervention regarding case management cases, referrals and preventative informative sessions that will tackle child protection issues such as early marriage, child labor and school registration.
- Lead the implementation of Maya Vakfi’s Individual protection assistance (IPA) procedures
- Ability to provide direct case supervision to child protection officer/s dealing with complex case management cases
- Guide the child protection team in updating service delivery map and referral pathways
- Take a leading role in all protection coordinating activities and creating referral partnerships with government institutions (e.g. Social Service Center, municipalities, DGMM etc.), international and national NGO and other referral stakeholders
- Assessing vulnerabilities and developing strategies for intervention for child protection cases referred to by clinical psychologists working at Maya Vakfi and/or referrals from external stakeholders
- Ensuring that regular inputs from the field are reported in a timely manner to senior management regarding current child protection threats/concerns/trends that are documented directly from the field
- Ensuring the accuracy of all information/presentations/handouts/slides that will be shared with beneficiaries
- Undergraduate degree in sociology, social work, psychology, law or related field. Masters degree is highly desirable
- Experience working with I/NGOs in Turkey with at least 4-5 years of similar experience
- Excellent knowledge of protection principles and the relevant local laws governing refugees and host communities with respect to child protection
- Experience working and leading protection projects in Turkey. Experience leading a child protection unit is highly desirable
- Experience working with an individual protection assistance (IPA) framework (or similar frameworks that necessitate the use of funds to achieve a specific protection outcome e.g. Emergency Fund)
- In-depth knowledge on how to conduct a proper case management system, ensure follow-up on referrals, and implement preventative informative sessions with adults and children
- Fluent in Turkish. English language is highly desirable
- Hands on experience working in a child protection role is an added advantage
- Ability to be flexible, work in a fluid context and adaptation for unexpected situations.
- Ability to be an analytical thinker with excellent problem-solving skills
- Excellent oral, written, interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills.