Vacancy Notice Number:
Senior Data Assistant (MEAL)
6 months Special Short Term Graded Contract (G6)– with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
17 September 2020
Number of People to be hired
Internal and External Candidates
The Syria crisis is in its sixth year and millions of Syrians continue to seek refuge in neighboring countries, including Turkey. It is estimated that over 12.2 million individuals inside Syria now require humanitarian assistance and 7.6 million are internally displaced (SRP 2015-2016). Over 4 million Syrians have fled as refugees (UNHCR).
As of 2017, Turkey is hosting over 3.1 million Syrian refugees in both camp and non-camp settings, with the majority residing in South East Turkey and the surrounding areas. Of those living outside of camps, the majority reside in the border provinces, Sanliurfa, Hatay, Gaziantep, as well as the bigger cities of Istanbul, Mersin, and Adana.
IOM's strategy for Turkey as indicated in the 3RP (Regional Refugee and Resilience Plan) is three-pronged; firstly, i) provision of humanitarian assistance focusing on the distribution of food, non-food items, cash vouchers, winterization and provision of transportation, ii) to ease the burden on national and local structures through the establishment of multi-service community centers offering protection and social stabilization for the refugees as well as increase access to education and iii) supporting the resilience of refugees and host communities through livelihoods, community stabilization and income generating activities.
Under the overall supervision of the Project Development and Reporting Officer and direct supervision of the Monitoring and Evaluation Officer, the incumbent will be responsible for supporting the processes and outputs related to data collection, cleaning, analysis, sharing and storing. He/she will be responsible for conducting data cleaning according to M&E standards and by using meaningful statistical analysis and techniques to infer results from the data collected. The incumbent will be responsible for implementing the data sharing standards used by IOM while maintaining accuracy, consistency, comparability and privacy of the data shared. S/he will also be responsible for supporting the maintenance of a beneficiary database and consolidation of all assessment-related and M&E data.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide relevant M&E data to support the development of projects, monitoring and evaluation as set out by donors, IOM project handbook and IOM M&E framework.
- Assist and guide the MEAL team in standardizing and localizing data management for better M&E tracking, including the field operations.
- Provide support to Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) team to monitor targets and indicators using agreed M&E Frameworks and work plans, including application of standardized M&E tools and facilitate and guide their application within the project area of responsibility.
- Participate in regular coaching and training sessions for relevant colleagues and Implementing Partners (IPs) on kobo toolbox, power BI, data management etc., and to
- Promote adherence to agreed M&E standards for IOM and donors;
- Encourage widespread use of appropriate data collection methods;
- Improve data quality assurance during data collection;
- Gather feedback regarding the effectiveness of qualitative and quantitative data collection methods.
- Consolidate, review and analyze M&E data based on key performance indicators, logical framework and report any irregularities to the M&E Officer.
- Create and maintain visualized dashboards, M&E data or knowledge management systems and analytical reports for Monitoring and Evaluation unit in close coordination with Senior MEAL Assistants, MEAL Assistants and Community Feedback Assistants and other support unit team
- Assist in the circulation of relevant qualitative and quantitative data to relevant IOM project managers and M&E team in line with M&E frameworks.
- Maintain the strictest confidentiality of all data collected and related processes; verify all data are stored according to IOM data storage guidelines; actively take measures to prevent the unauthorized sharing of any beneficiary data to external parties and ensuring accuracy, consistency and privacy of the shared data.
- Assist in the development of thematic/sectoral reports in coordination with program managers to be used for internal and external communications materials, highlighting outcomes and impact across the thematic areas and when applicable, to specific areas or groups of beneficiaries.
- Support interagency monitoring and evaluation initiatives such as PDM, sectorial assessments etc. that are led by IOM including baselines and evaluations.
- Support ongoing coordination with Information Management Unit, Project Development and Reporting (PDR) unit and any other units, as required.
- Assist and support in all MEAL and Accountability to Affected Population (AAP) and initiatives.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- University degree in Social sciences, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Demography, Statistics or related field from an accredited academic institution, with four years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with six years of relevant professional experience.
- Proven skills in MS Office applications (in particular Excel and Access), database management and/or statistical software packages (in particular SPSS);
- Experience in data collection (in particular surveys), drafting statistical and analytical reports;
- Experience in the management and coordination of information flows and data management including collecting, storing, processing, and analyzing data to generate information products;
- Demonstrated understanding of different data collection methodologies and proven skills to analyze statistical information;
- Ability to translate data into technical briefs for data capture and analysis, and vice versa;
- Ability to compile and holistically analyze diverse datasets and experience with handling confidential data;
- Experience with the management of databases and information systems including design, development, implementation, and maintenance.
- Proven ability to manipulate data by using standard tabulation and statistical software packages (R, SPSS, Atlas, Nvivo, Stata, etc.).
- Experience with mobile data collection platforms such as kobo tool box, ODK etc.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required.
- Working knowledge of Turkish is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
- Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- • Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
- • Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
- • Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
- Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- • Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- • Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- • Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- • Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- • Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
- • Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
- • Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
- • Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
- • Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
- • Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
- • Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering Results:
- •Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
- • Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
- • Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
- • Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
- •Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
- • Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
- • Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
- • Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
- •Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
- • Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
- • Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
- • Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
- •Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
- • Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- • Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
- • Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- • Assigns responsibilities fairly and manages performance, taking account of individual strengths, workloads and interests.
- • Is inclusive in decision-making and actively seeks feedback from team members and colleagues in order to identify opportunities for improvement.
- • Takes sound and timely managerial decisions that are consistent with the Organization's vision and purpose.
- • Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of stakeholders to understand needs and gain support.
- Empowering others and building trust:
- •Delegates appropriately to make the most of others’ talents, clarifying expectations and allowing autonomy in important areas while providing necessary support.
- • Encourages others to take responsibility for their performance; promotes ownership, responsibility and accountability for desired results at all levels.
- • Creates an atmosphere of trust and confidence in which others can talk and act without fear of repercussion.
- • Gives proper credit to others, shows appreciation and rewards achievement and effort.
- Strategic thinking and vision:
- •Aligns own actions to the Organization’s vision, values and mandate.
- • Translates strategic direction into short and medium-term plans and objectives for own team; revises objectives to reflect changes in organizational goals.
- • Identifies key issues/priorities in complex situations and how they may be related to one another.
• Clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail by the end of 17 September 2020.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.