Vacancy Notice Number:
Senior Emergency Operations Assistant (Shelter/NFI/Direct distribution)
6 months Special Short Term Graded Contract -with possible extension (G6)
Deadline of Applications:
02 August 2019
Number of Vacant Positions:
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is the only international inter-governmental agency with a specific mandate for migration and is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing technical expertise to governments, migrants and host communities through a wide range of sustainable solutions contributing to end forced migration and/or improve displacement conditions. IOM also has a leading role in the Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM) Cluster, participates in coordinated humanitarian responses, and engages in inter-agency collaboration to meet the needs of affected-persons and contribute to their protection.
As a member of the UN Humanitarian Country Team in Syria and all concerned neighbouring countries (Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, and Turkey), the IOM Director General has activated the L3 Emergency SOPs to enhance organizational humanitarian assistance and priorities related to IDPs, refugees and returnees, and is actively participating in the emergency response within this rapidly changing humanitarian context. Security Council Resolution 2449 will supersede earlier adopted SCR 2191 and 2165, allowing UN and its partners to provide cross border assistance from Turkey to Northern Syria in 2019.
Per HNAP Demographic Survey (July 2018), over 6 million individuals (31% of Syria’s total population) are internally displaced persons (IDPs). Approximately 32% of Syrian IDPs are currently residing in Aleppo (18% of total IDP population) and Idleb governorate (14% of total IDP population). The first half of 2018 was marked by significant military operations by the Government of Syria, and changes in control of large parts of Syria, which resulted in displacements from previously besieged enclaves and opposition-held areas (such as Eastern Ghouta, Northern Homs, Dara’a, and Q’neitra) to the remaining de-escalation zone in Northwest Syria. These additional IDPs put strain on already overstretched IDP hosting capacity in these areas.
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Programme Coordinator and the direct supervision of the Emergency Operations Officer, the candidate will provide - assistance in the implementation of the cross-border operations/SNFI program activities primarily focusing on IOM emergency response including direct distribution and seasonal response (ie. Winter).
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the Emergency Operations Officer in the implementation of the IOM SNFI direct distribution modality including planning, coordinating and mobilizing implementing partners, delivery, distribution and monitoring of NFI, emergency shelter and other related humanitarian response under the cross border programme.
- Support the coordination and supervision of the IOM implementing partners operational responsibilities related to the response including follow up of the workplan, distribution schedule, beneficiary selection and data, feedback mechanisms, documentations, reporting and monitoring activities
- Coordinate with operations team leader and provide needed information in the preparation of the cross-border transhipment schedule and deployment plan ensuring that the Shelter and NFI requirements of the implementing partners are provided according to the work plan
- Support the Operations unit in the administrative preparation of the project implementation plan, implementing partners’ service agreements, participate in the budget review, preparing purchase and payment requests, follow up of delivery and status of goods and perform other required financial tasks in coordination with procurement and resource management units (including compliance and finance) .
- With guidance from the Emergency Operations Officer, establish and maintain coordination mechanisms with the implementing partners to sustain good communication, foster better partnership, improve in the implementation and feedbacking and ensure the conduct of the regular partnership meeting
- Support the operations unit in drafting, improving and executing implementation guidelines, standard operating procedures, process improvements and other related operational tools to ensure smooth implementation of activities
- Coordinate with Monitoring and Evaluation, Information Management and Communications unit for the support required by the projects and ensure that the related deliverables of implementing partners are fulfilled accordingly
- Participate in organizing coordination and capacity building activities including the roll out of the guidance and tools to improve the overall IOM NFI response and the project activities of the implementing partners
- Provide regular updates, data sets, situational reports and other reporting information that support to IOM NFI programming, input to donor reports and other project requirements
- Carry out regular field visits when needed and support the operations assistants to follow through the transhipment processes at the UN designated borders including representation of IOM with Custom authorities and UN Monitoring Mission to ensure proper, accurate, timely delivery and handover of items to the selected implementing partners operating inside Syria.
- Comply with the IOM Standards of Conduct and the IOM Confidentiality Agreement. Maintain a professional appearance and migrant-friendly demeanour at all times.
- Maintain positive working relationships within the IOM team, UN Officials implementing partners and other entities involve in the Cross border operations.
- Ensure confidentiality of all correspondence and operations and abide with UNDSS rules and procedures
14. Perform other such related duties as may be required.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
Education and Experience:
· University degree in Development Studies, Sociology, Political Science, Public Administration, Management or a related field from an accredited academic institution with at least four years of relevant professional experience;
· Completed High School degree from an accredited academic institution with six years of relevant professional experience;
· Experience working with humanitarian response particularly project implementation, operations, coordination, transportation and general administrative duties;
· Experience in liaising with national, regional and international institutions including UN agencies;
· Experience with external engagement (donors and UN Humanitarian Clusters), including communicating and report writing in English.
· Experience working with international humanitarian organizations, non-governmental or governmental institutions/organizations in a multi-cultural setting.
· Experience leading or supporting capacity building of team staff, sub implementing partners, etc.
· Proven experience in drafting and preparing clear and concise correspondences;
· Experience working in an international organization an advantage;
· High level of computer literacy, particularly in Microsoft programs such as Excel and Word.
· Fluency in English and Arabic is required.
· Knowledge of Turkish is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
· Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
· Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
· Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
· Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
· Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
· Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
· Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
· Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
· Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
· Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sokak No:24 Cankaya, Ankara by the end of 02 August 2019.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
- Senior Protection Assistant (Data Analysis)
- National Operations Officer
- Project Assistant (Counter Trafficking)
- Senior M&E Assistant (Analyst)
- Senior M&E Assistant – Commodity Tracking System (CTS)
- Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Assistant (Quality Assurance)
- Counsellor (Technical Support for Municipal Center)