Vacancy Notice Number:
Senior Finance Assistant (Budget)
Istanbul – Türkiye
One Year Fixed Term Contract (G6) - with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
29 November 2022
Number of People to be hired
Internal & External Candidates
Under the overall supervision of Resources Management Officer (Budget) in Ankara and the direct supervision of National Finance Officer (Budget/Reporting) in Gaziantep, the Senior Finance Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage financial resources through monitoring and controlling assets, reserves, funds, supplies, etc. in accordance with IOM rules and regulations of the project portfolio assigned.
- Provide regular and ad hoc financial information to support informed financial decision making.
- Provide specialized support to senior management in Istanbul sub-office in monitoring and overseeing the financial management for all project activities, and regularly report the financial status of projects to the Program Coordinator, SRMO, the RMOs, the donor, and other stakeholders.
- Assist the Program Coordinator providing oversight of financial expenditure and accountability. Provide forecasts of cash flows according to activities of all projects. Ensure all commitments are registered and reflected in financial reports. Ensure that salaries and all other expenses are correctly charged.
- Assist RMO / Finance and Budget Officer in providing feedback to the projects’ financial analysis and donor financial reports in accordance with the donor/grant agreement and IOM’s procedures and regulations;
- Prepare donor financial reports in accordance with IOM regulations and established procedures. Assist Program Coordinator and RMO / Finance and Budget Officer in preparing annual budget for all project activities; monitor budget control process and analyse variances between budget and actual expenditures.
- Assist Program Coordinator and RMO / Finance and Budget Officer in the preparation of budgets for new programmes/ projects, ensuring proper coordination within the Mission. Maintain all project financial and administration-related files;
- Manage and prepare the payroll by executing validity checks on monthly payroll results;
- Support review of budget proposals, conducting desk research of market prices of commodities and services, taking into consideration overall staffing and office cost structure.
- Coordinate with Project Managers to ensure costs are correctly charged against the budget lines.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
- University degree in Accounting, Finance or Public Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with at least four years of relevant professional experience
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with at least six years of relevant professional experience
- Experience in financial management, budgeting and systems review
- Experience in accounting, finance, banking and treasury
- Fluency in Turkish and English is required.
- Working knowledge of Arabic is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Türkiye will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Türkiye by the end of 29 November 2022.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.