Vacancy Notice Number:
Senior Finance Assistant (Compliance)
6 months Special Short Term Graded Contract (G6)– with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
9 October 2020
Number of People to be hired
Internal and External Candidates
Under the overall supervision of the Resources Management Officer in Gaziantep and the direct supervision of the National Finance Officer (Compliance) in Gaziantep, the incumbent will be responsible for providing finance compliance support to the programmes of the sub-office being carried out through implementing partners (IPs).
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct IP Capacity Assessment (CA) and prepare report stating the IP risk level and identify areas for improvement; timely follow-up on the recommended action points.
- Review IP budget proposals, ensuring reasonableness of budget line items and unit costs, reflecting prevailing market rates and determining justifiable level of effort to the projects.
- Prepare Work Program for IP financial review and determine extent of substantive testing procedures based on results of IP CA.
- Review work of Finance Assistants on the assigned IPs’ financial reports, ensuring that the Work Program is being followed, and review the findings and recommendations.
- Ensure that IPs conduct all procurement transactions in accordance with IOM procurement rules and regulations as well as with the mission's procurement permanent instructions.
- Mentor and monitor the procurement process of IPs on given threshold by observing IP tender procedures, and verification of suppliers and conduct the required spot check.
- Conduct quality control check of all IP-related files and Request for Payments.
- Conduct assurance procedures for transactions that have material impact on the financial reports.
- Build capacity of Finance Assistants (Compliance) in end-to-end IP engagement processes.
- Coordinate with relevant units in IOM for the conduct of remote compliance functions.
- Work closely with Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Unit for relevant M&E reports in connection with IP engagements.
- Act as focal point for IPs’ queries and concerns, maintaining professional relationship and establish open communication channels.
- Review IPs’ budget forecasts, noting trends and variances, for potential follow-through actions.
- Attend to housekeeping matters in terms of open engagements and provide periodic updates on open items in the IOM accounting system.
- Maintain a sound filing system of all IP-related files from beginning to closure of engagement.
- Provide ad hoc translation of documents from Arabic to English.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- University degree in Accounting, Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with four years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with six years of relevant professional experience;
- Professional certification as Chartered Accountant or certified public accountant is an advantage.
- Experience in finance and accounting;
- Knowledge of IOM accounting systems, PRISM-FI software and procedures a distinct advantage.
- Proven ability to prepare clear and concise reports and to analyze and interpret source information and data;
- High level of computer literacy is required, particularly in IOM computerized accounting systems;
- Good knowledge of MS office, specifically EXCEL.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required.
- Working knowledge of Turkish is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
- Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- • Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
- • Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
- • Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
- Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- • Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- • Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- • Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- • Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- • Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
- • Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
- • Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
- • Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
- • Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
- • Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
- • Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering Results:
- •Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
- • Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
- • Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
- • Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
- •Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
- • Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
- • Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
- • Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
- •Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
- • Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
- • Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
- • Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
- •Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
- • Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- • Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
- • Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- • Assigns responsibilities fairly and manages performance, taking account of individual strengths, workloads and interests.
- • Is inclusive in decision-making and actively seeks feedback from team members and colleagues in order to identify opportunities for improvement.
- • Takes sound and timely managerial decisions that are consistent with the Organization's vision and purpose.
- • Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of stakeholders to understand needs and gain support.
- Empowering others and building trust:
- •Delegates appropriately to make the most of others’ talents, clarifying expectations and allowing autonomy in important areas while providing necessary support.
- • Encourages others to take responsibility for their performance; promotes ownership, responsibility and accountability for desired results at all levels.
- • Creates an atmosphere of trust and confidence in which others can talk and act without fear of repercussion.
- • Gives proper credit to others, shows appreciation and rewards achievement and effort.
- Strategic thinking and vision:
- •Aligns own actions to the Organization’s vision, values and mandate.
- • Translates strategic direction into short and medium-term plans and objectives for own team; revises objectives to reflect changes in organizational goals.
- • Identifies key issues/priorities in complex situations and how they may be related to one another.
• Clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 09 October 2020.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
 As applicable.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
- Senior Project Assistant (CEFM)
- Programme Support Assistant
- Consultant (NFI Distribution Guidance)
- Project Assistant (Event Organizer)
- Project Assistant (Media Expert)
- Project Assistant (Music Teacher)
- Project Assistant( Social Media Expert)
- Project Assistant (Software Developer)
- Senior Project Assistant (Graphic Designer)
- Senior Project Assistant (Trainer)
- Senior Project Assistant (Coordinaton)
- Project Assistant (Social Work)
- Finance Assistant (Budget)
- Project Assistant
- Project Field Coordinator
- Field Coordinator
- National Protection Officer (Cross-border)