Position: Senior Finance Officer
Reports to: Deputy Finance Officer
Duration: 1 year
About RI: Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in roughly 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty. Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Finance Manager, the primary responsibility of the (Senior) Finance Officer is to ensure compliance with organization’s/donors policies and procedures, generally accepted accounting principles, to do technical financial review of RI’s Syria response documentation, guide and supervise Finance Officer and Assistant.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Oversight of complianceprocedure sand accountability,
· Ensure proper compliance principles are followed.
· Ensure project allocation are accurate.
· Ensure that all financial procedures are in line with RI policies and financial manual.
2. Assist DFM on reporting requirements
· Prepare for monthly closings
· Prepare provisional Budget vs Actual reports for active projects monthly.
· Assist DFM in preparing monthly financial reports, prepare JVs for closing.
· Obtain required documents from Syria office regarding cash counts, working cash advance settlement and prepare JVs for DFM approval
· Support DFM in following up budget vs actual reports reviews with responsible department heads.
3. Closely coordinate with Program & Operations Dep’t on payments to be made to Health Facilities and sub-offices inside Syria,
· Ensure meeting deadline for accruing facility expenses. Prepare/Review Journal Vouchers and GL summaries.
· Cooperate with program department on payment data submission.
· Follow up Finance Officer/Assistant to finalize review and verify Program and HR data.
· Review backup documents and record advance in register and send reminder calendar to recipient to settle the advance tracker is up-to-date.
· Track advances to Health Facilities and sub-offices
4. Coordinate with head office to facilitate transfer of funds to Health Facilities,
a. Prepare/Verify payment orders in coordination with Regional office and cash facilitator
b. Track status of funds transfer from head office and receipt by Health Facilities and Syria Office
c. Update program and DFM on status of funds delivery
5. Review and Processing of Payment Orders to Syria office, health facilities and vendors.
· Ensure Monthly Payment Order is accurate and all back up support documents arere viewed
· Accrue payment order and reconcile as per reviewed support backup documentation
· Ensure Monthly Payment Order is processed on time
· Prepare paperwork for monthly payment clearances, reconcile with HQ monthly.
· Keep remote location payment orders tracker up to date, act in case of any delay in payments.
6. Monitoring assessment of Health Facilities based on Finance Monitor Reports.
a. Track work plans for Finance monitors in a close coordination with Senior Finance Officer inside Syria, give regular updates to DFM for finance monitor findings.
b. Ensure each health facility is assigned to a Finance Monitor in cooperation with Senior Finance Officer inside Syria.
c. Get regular feedback for monitors work from Senior Finance Officer inside Syria and share significant findings with DFM.
d. Work closely with Senior Finance Officer inside Syria in building capacity of Finance Monitors on audit and provide needful support
e. Keep track of all monitoring visits done by Finance Monitors
7. Assist DFM in external audits of the NWS projects
8. Supervise Finance Assistants/Officers based in Turkey, build capacity of Finance Officer/Assistant on review of financial documents of Health facilities (HFs), and processing of Payment Orders for HFs
· Verify JV sprepared by Finance Assistant
· Ensure JVs are booked into the system properly by the finance assistant/officer
· Make booking of JVs when needed.
1. Professional background:minimum 3 years of relevant experience.
2. Formal Education: Educated to Bachelor’s level in related field such as Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or other educational background combined with relevant professional experience.
3. Essential Skills:
· Native Arabic speaker, fluent in English
· Dual nationality (Syrian/Turkish) highly preferable
· Previous experience in an international NGO
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office package, especially in Excel
· Strong communication, interpersonal and analytical skills
· Ability to analyze problems and provide systematic solutions in line with established policies / procedures.
4. Personal Skills:
· Excellent Monitoring, Reporting, Presentation, Facilitation and Communication skills.
· Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision.
· Ability to work in a dynamic environment and to multi-task to meet deadlines
· Promotes team work, contributes towards building team consensus and acts as a team player
· Consistently approach work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
· Demonstrate ability to identify problems.
· Makes recommendations related to work procedures and implementation of management systems.
RI encourages candidates to apply as early as possible because the shortlisting will be done on rolling basis, such that, the position might be filled before deadline for application
· We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality and operational independence.
· We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
· We value
o Transparency and accountability
o Agility and innovation
All Relief International members (staff, volunteers and interns) are committed to the RI policies such as, RI Code of Conduct, Child Protection Policy, Reporting Conflict of Interest, Reporting Misconduct, Reporting Sexual Exploitation and Abuse. All new comers are expected to adhere to all these policies.
This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with position.
How to Apply
In case you meet the requirements and that you are interested in the position, please send your CV in English to the email adress provided when you click the apply button before the 31 January 2018 stating in the subject “Senior Finance Officer“. In addition a 3 professional references. All candidates must be eligible to work in Turkey and have a valid Turkey ID.