Vacancy Notice Number:
Senior HR Assistant
6 Months Special Short Term Graded Contract –with possible extension (G6)
Deadline of Applications:
27 December 2019
Number of People to be hired
Internal and External Candidates
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Resource Management Officer and direct supervision of HR Officer in Gaziantep, and in close coordination with the National officer in IOM Ankara, the incumbent will be responsible and accountable of providing human resources support to IOM Gaziantep and its field offices.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide specialized human resources support to IOM Gaziantep and its field offices in Hatay and Sanlıurfa.
- Coordinate the recruitment and selection process for all national staff to ensure that human resources/personnel policies are followed in accordance with the established rules and guidelines;
- Advise staff members on HR matters, ensure that staff understand the terms and conditions of their employment and USRR;
- Prepare and ensure correctness of all administrative paper work pertaining to national staff , such as personnel action, appointments, extension of appointment, separation, promotion, advancement within grade, annual/sick leave and dependency allowances; Organize and plan regular meetings for the HR unit to ensure that the objectives are met, and urgent matters are resolved.
- Monitor compliance with HR policies, rules and regulations and make recommendations for resolving sensitive issues and mitigate between staff members in close coordination with the National Officer in Ankara and HR Officer.
- Act as a focal point to address queries from local authorities regarding the issues related to HR IOM policies.
- Be attentive to staff member grievances and alert senior management accordingly.
- Provide inputs for new procedures to complement or to adapt existing instructions taking into consideration the specific needs of the office and field offices.
- Respond to HR queries from staff and as necessary, refer staff to relevant IOM policy.
- Provide support on employee relations and employee disciplinary process
- Assist in the development of staff recognition programs and workplace motivating activities to sustain harmonious and respectful working environment. Collaborate with Staff Association Committee (SAC) in organizing activities that will foster workplace camaraderie;
- In coordination with the HR Officer review the information/complaint about the erring staff submitted by the manager. Validate the information against HR records, employee records, USRR and other relevant policies;
- Prepare a summary of the incident and provide observations or findings for the HR Officer and Head of Sub-Office’s evaluation;
- Schedule a separate meeting with the manager and the concerned staff member and take the minutes during the meeting.
- Assist in the administration of the policy relevant to the contract and entitlements
- Administer and maintain personnel files of national staff and HR roster files, as well as files for consultants and hourly/daily staff.
- Administer, maintain and update overtime record/compensatory leave and provide update to staff and give report to supervisors as and when required.
- In coordination with HR team in Ankara and Program Managers (PMs), update the HR module of the IOM Turkey Data Portal relating to staff information and the related organizational chart and verify that all the actions are updated in HR PRISM.
- Produce Purchase Orders at the procurement module of PRISM for consultant payments and request for payment for consultants, staff on hourly or daily contracts and interns.
- Maintain and update staff database, assist in generating reports related to statistics of staff members and prepare weekly reports on recruitment process.
- Conduct staff orientation and briefing sessions to new staff members on monthly basis; facilitate/organize trainings for consultants and hourly staff; Prepare presentations and briefings regarding HR issues as required.
- Train and guide new/junior staff.
- Provide support on staff onboarding and staff development
- Liaise with Head, HR and Administrative Services to analyse training needs and coordinate with SDL Unit implementation of trainings such as technical management, supervisory, interpersonal skills and other relevant staff development programmes to improve performance of staff members.
- Assist the Head, HR and Administrative Services, in organizing and coordinating training programs with SDL unit on Staff Evaluation System (SES), career development, interview guidelines and E-Rec profile creation.
- Monitor, organize and coordinate IOM Mandatory trainings including but not limited to PSEA, Standard of Conduct, I Know Gender, Ethics and Conduct at IOM: the values we share” online training, Basic and Advance Security Training.
- Provide informal translation as needed.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
- University degree in Human Resource Management, Business or Public Administration, Behavioural and Organizational Development Studies, Psychology, Social Science, or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with four years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with six years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in human resources administration management;
- Experience in in the field of human resource management, employee relations, employee disciplinary process, development and implementation of training programs, performance management and benefits and salary administration;
- Proven ability to work independently under minimal supervision; Ability to work effectively and harmoniously within a team;
- Effectively applies knowledge of relevant Human Resources theories and practices, and recognizes their application within existing IOM processes;
- Good communication skills;
- Experience in quality management, system and process audit and streamlining HR related functions;
- High level of computer literacy with experience in HR IT systems and applications; working knowledge of SAP an advantage;
- Knowledge of IOM/UN personnel policies and staff rules and regulations an advantage.
- Fluency in English and Turkish is required.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability and enthusiasm for the team’s work.
• Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
• Shares credit for team accomplishments and ensures that the contribution of others is recognized.
• Helps create a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the team achieve its goals.
- Delivering results:
•Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs.
• Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations.
• Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs.
• Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
•Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise.
• Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
• Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge.
• Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
• Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the Organization.
• Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
• Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership.
• Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable
•Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
• Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information.
• Listens and seeks to understand without bias, and responds appropriately.
• Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others' views and ideas and respects their contribution.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Assigns responsibilities fairly and manages performance, taking account of individual strengths, workloads and interests.
• Is inclusive in decision-making and actively seeks feedback from team members and colleagues in order to identify opportunities for improvement.
• Takes sound and timely managerial decisions that are consistent with the Organization's vision and purpose.
• Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of stakeholders to understand needs and gain support.
- Empowering others and building trust:
•Delegates appropriately to make the most of others’ talents, clarifying expectations and allowing autonomy in important areas while providing necessary support.
• Encourages others to take responsibility for their performance; promotes ownership, responsibility and accountability for desired results at all levels.
• Creates an atmosphere of trust and confidence in which others can talk and act without fear of repercussion.
• Gives proper credit to others, shows appreciation and rewards achievement and effort.
- Strategic thinking and vision:
•Aligns own actions to the Organization’s vision, values and mandate.
• Translates strategic direction into short and medium-term plans and objectives for own team; revises objectives to reflect changes in organizational goals.
• Identifies key issues/priorities in complex situations and how they may be related to one another.
• Clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail by the end of 27 December 2019.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.