Vacancy Notice Number:
Senior ICT Assistant (Network & Systems)
One Year Fixed Term Graded Contract (G7) -with possible extension
Gaziantep - Turkey
Deadline of Applications:
28 January 2021
Number of Vacant Positions:
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Information Management Officer in Gaziantep, technical supervision of the Information Technology officer based in Ankara and direct supervision of the National ITC Officer in Gaziantep, the incumbent will be responsible in providing technical support and services to users of IOM’s cooperate applications and infrastructure, promoting a client and service-oriented approach in Gaziantep Sub-Office and warehouses including field offices in Hatay, Sanliurfa, Adana, Kahramanmaras and Mersin. Incumbent will be responsible for direct and administrative supervision of FabLab (local project lead by IT) staff located in Gaziantep University and Junior ICT assistant located in Gaziantep ICT unit.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Oversees the day-to-day operation of computer networks including hardware/software support and active devices (routers, switches, firewall, access points etc.) in Gaziantep and Warehouses. Create and maintain an archive of software, manuals, and maps of network infrastructure for IOM Gaziantep sites.
2. Ensure the implementation of IOM ITC Standards, policies, and guidelines, in particular with regards to network systems, IT equipment, software licensing, IT security, telecommunication, information security, ITC procurement, IOM in-house applications, email.
3. Designs and implements data connectivity for local area network (LAN) and wide area network (WAN) systems. Installs, supports, and maintains both physical and virtual network servers and appliances.
4. Analyses and troubleshoots the network logs and tracks the nature and resolution of problems. Prepare a log files for every user problem and after preparing convert a report file for response admin and technical supervisor and Head of sub office.
5. Make sure all Servers, Desktops, laptops, and other IT equipment have latest relevant software, software patches, anti-viruses with latest virus signatures under ITC guidelines and ITC advisory for Software and data protection.
6. Provide and research, trainings complying to staff requirements and need through conducting periodic assessments.
7. Support planning for systems upgrades and IT infrastructure changes in line with IOM ITC Standards, in close coordination with the ITC Ankara. Keep senior management abreast on technological advancements and advise mission management, as necessary regarding required improvements on mission IT infrastructure and provision of services as required for the efficient functioning of mission operations. Provide IT consultancy for procurement of related items.
8. Support technically FabLab - Resilience Innovation Center project (local project lead by IT) in cooperation with Gaziantep University and build capacity for IOM staff under FabLab project. Coordination with different stakeholders and service providers to setup FabLab with different Universities in Turkey according to project needs.
9. Direct and administrative supervision of FabLab (local project lead by IT) staff located in Gaziantep University and Junior ICT assistant located in Gaziantep ICT unit.
10. Implementation and end user support of inhouse developed softwares. Creating reporting modules of fleet management system (GPS Tracking & Vehicle Request modules, maintenance, fuel consumption) for easier tracking of logistics unit and proper reporting for finance unit. Also, design of the technical structure of the any other systems&softwares developed by unit.
11. Supporting other units&programmes with programme-based solutions according to need of project in coordination with programme coordinators. Providing the new innovative&efficent solutions to Cross Border & Refugee response projects to make their operations easier to implement in an efficient way.
12. Coordination with senior Management on behalf of National ICT Officer regularly for the planning and updates of ICT unit. Also, reporting the updates and work distribution of other ICT staff to National ICT Officer.
13. Establish a reporting system such as log files for user problems and report file for responses administered and regularly report on needs and progress on ITC issues in AoR.
14. Management and implementation of the school transportation tracking project, server room tracking and cartridge tracking, green house tracking and attendance system for livelihood, call centers for refugee response programme and all other inhouse IT projects to provide better reporting for the relevant units.
15. Management of all IT related issues (network, user support, IT procurement etc.) of Hatay, Sanliurfa and Gaziantep – Burc Warehouses and Adana, Ensar and Mersin Migration Centers. Scheduling regular visits to these warehouses for providing user support and system checks. Also, CTS project network maintenance and improvements for the Gaziantep – Burc Warehouse.
16. Coordination with local IT in Hatay and Sanliurfa field offices to make sure the network and systems are up to date and secure. Also, sharing with them all IT related new upgrades and changes made by HQ.
17. Perform other related duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field from an accredited academic institution, with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in networking environment (LAN/WAN), direct user support and computer and communication equipment troubleshooting;
- Experience in Windows Server software in a multi-site environment, TCP/IP, MS Office, Antivirus Software, Backup Server Software, Active Directory services, Email Exchange, Remote Connections Software and IT utilities;
- Experience in Microsoft SQL databases administration will be an advantage;
- Excellent in problem solving skills and love technical challenges with hand on experiences;
- Experiences of all aspects of the design, development, management, implementation and maintenance of complex IT management systems and technologies.
- Experience in planning, design, development, implementation and maintenance of telecommunications and computer information systems, information technology.
- Microsoft system certificate and Cisco network certificates is an advantage.
- Knowledge of organization's information infrastructure and IT strategy; independently maintains assigned systems and develops innovative approaches to resolve a wide range of issues/problems.
- Knowledge of IP, VPN, VOIP and LAN/WAN infrastructure;
- Knowledge of .NET framework (ASP, VB), SQL and CMS will be an advantage.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite
- Fluency in English and Turkish is required.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability and enthusiasm for the team’s work.
• Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
• Shares credit for team accomplishments and ensures that the contribution of others is recognized.
• Helps create a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the team achieve its goals.
- Delivering results:
•Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs.
• Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations.
• Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs.
• Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
•Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise.
• Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
• Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge.
• Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
• Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the Organization.
• Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
• Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership.
• Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable
•Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
• Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information.
• Listens and seeks to understand without bias, and responds appropriately.
• Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others' views and ideas and respects their contribution.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Assigns responsibilities fairly and manages performance, taking account of individual strengths, workloads and interests.
• Is inclusive in decision-making and actively seeks feedback from team members and colleagues in order to identify opportunities for improvement.
• Takes sound and timely managerial decisions that are consistent with the Organization's vision and purpose.
• Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of stakeholders to understand needs and gain support.
- Empowering others and building trust:
•Delegates appropriately to make the most of others’ talents, clarifying expectations and allowing autonomy in important areas while providing necessary support.
• Encourages others to take responsibility for their performance; promotes ownership, responsibility and accountability for desired results at all levels.
• Creates an atmosphere of trust and confidence in which others can talk and act without fear of repercussion.
• Gives proper credit to others, shows appreciation and rewards achievement and effort.
- Strategic thinking and vision:
•Aligns own actions to the Organization’s vision, values and mandate.
• Translates strategic direction into short and medium-term plans and objectives for own team; revises objectives to reflect changes in organizational goals.
• Identifies key issues/priorities in complex situations and how they may be related to one another.
• Clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that female candidates are highly encouraged and that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sokak No:24 Cankaya, Ankara by the end of 28 January 2021.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
 As applicable.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.