Vacancy Notice Number:
Senior MEAL Assistant
6 months Special Short Term Graded Contract (G6)– with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
07 October 2021
Number of People to be hired
Internal and External Candidates
The Syria crisis is in its sixth year and millions of Syrians continue to seek refuge in neighboring countries, including Turkey. It is estimated that over 12.2 million individuals inside Syria now require humanitarian assistance and 7.6 million are internally displaced (SRP 2015-2016). Over 4 million Syrians have fled as refugees (UNHCR).
As of 2017, Turkey is hosting over 3.1 million Syrian refugees in both camp and non-camp settings, with the majority residing in South East Turkey and the surrounding areas. Of those living outside of camps, the majority reside in the border provinces, Sanliurfa, Hatay, Gaziantep, as well as the bigger cities of Istanbul, Mersin, and Adana.
IOM's strategy for Turkey as indicated in the 3RP (Regional Refugee and Resilience Plan) is three-pronged; firstly, i) provision of humanitarian assistance focusing on the distribution of food, non-food items, cash vouchers, winterization and provision of transportation, ii) to ease the burden on national and local structures through the establishment of multi-service community centers offering protection and social stabilization for the refugees as well as increase access to education and iii) supporting the resilience of refugees and host communities through livelihoods, community stabilization and income generating activities.
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Programme Development Officer and direct supervision of the M&E Officer, the incumbent will be responsible for coordinating field monitoring visits, quantitative and qualitative data collection, enumerator and implementing partners capacity building, monitoring data quality assurance, participating in quantitative and qualitative data analysis, drafting M&E reports, supervising MEAL Assistants, supporting development and implementation of context-appropriate accountability to affected populations mechanisms, supporting utilization of monitoring and evaluation findings and participating in proposal development sessions.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support preparation of project proposals and concept papers, paying attention to SMART indicators, realistic MEAL budgets, MEAL Plans, and evidence-based project designs.
- Ensure all approved projects have a standard log frame, M&E plan with defined indicators, Results Monitoring Framework, Indicator tracking table (ITT), field-level data collection tools in line with donor requirements.
- Ensure direct implementations are monitored regularly in line with MEAL standards and humanitarian standards through schedule visits, data quality assurance, spot check/verification visits against reports, and reports reviews (as per agreed schedule with donors, project managers, and MEAL Plan).
- Update all MEAL system standard documents and data on a monthly basis.
- Consolidate, analyze and draft quantitative and qualitative MEAL reports in line with MEAL plans, highlighting project outcomes and impact.
- Support in the facilitation of integration of IASC principles, cross-cutting issues (gender, protection), and core humanitarian standards in MEAL functions.
- Support M&E officer in sharing learning and tools with other agencies and use the experience of other agencies to improve IOM Turkey MEAL practices and participate in inter-agency MEAL coordination meetings
- In coordination with the M&E Officer, guide and build capacity of supervised MEAL staff (CFAs, MEAL Assistants & enumerators) in order to facilitate delivering of high-quality outputs especially during assessments, PDMs, FGDs, KIIs.
- Train and provide technical guidance to project partners on project MEAL systems and provide ongoing routine coaching and mentorship of partners MEAL staff.
- Support M&E Officer in developing/adapting contextually appropriate accountability tools and systems to enable response staff to better include communities in program planning, implementation, and monitoring.
- Support in the process of information sharing, Consultation, Participation & Complaints and response of affected people is being conducted by MEAL and Community feedback assistants.
- When end line evaluations are run by external parties, support drafting ToR according to IOM quality standards and donor requirements.
- Ensure all M&E data, reports, and records are clearly organized archived in a central location for future reference.
- Support in documentation to share M&E findings with relevant stakeholders and provide timely and updated data to be used in discussions in appropriate forums. Follow up on the utilization of the Monitoring results stated in the “Monitoring Utilization matrix.
- Ensure an end-line measurement of the outcome level indicators is conducted to understand the change IOM projects contributed to and results are documented, and management response collected for all internal and external evaluations.
- Participate in project review and learning events for direct & partner implemented projects before the closure of the project in order to document learnings and best practice for future programs.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- University degree in Social Science, Statistics or Development Studies or a related field from an accredited academic institution with four years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed High School degree from an accredited academic institution with six years of relevant professional experience.
- Computer/software literate, preferably advanced skills in Excel, PowerPoint, SPSS, kobo toolbox, ODK, Power BI, and report writing
- Experience with international humanitarian organizations, non-governmental or governmental institutions/organizations in a multi-cultural setting;
- Knowledge of principles and current approaches to monitoring and evaluation to emergency conflict contexts using quantitative and qualitative methodologies
- Strong knowledge of monitoring and evaluation tools and methodologies and excellent analytical and report writing skills.
- Communicates with integrity to different stakeholders (strong interpersonal skills).
- Experience in data processing or analysis (Excel, etc.) is required
- Ability to train others on MEAL and effectively facilitate meetings is required.
- Proven strong organizational skills and practical experience of how to multi-task, prioritize, and work independently.
- Willingness to travel up to 70% of the time.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Working knowledge of Turkish and Arabic is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 07 October 2021.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
- On-call Interpreter
- HR Intern
- Finance Assistant (Compliance)
- Field Security Assistant (SSAFE)
- Project Assistant (Livelihood)
- Project Assistant (Agriculture)
- HR Assistant
- National Officer (Protection & Psychosocial)
- On Call Project Assistant (Outreach)
- Project Assistant (Outreach) - re-advertised
- Medical Escort (Physician) – On-call basis
- Medical Escort (Psychiatrist) – On-call basis
- Medical Escort (Nurse) - On-Call Basis
- Data Processing Assistant
- Data Processing Assistant
- Data Processing Assistant
- Data Processing Assistant
- Migration Health Nurse
- Migration Health Nurse
- Project Assistant (Special Education)
- Project Assistant (CBCM)
- Senior Project Assistant (MHPSS)- re-advertised
- Project Assistant (Social Services)
- Project Assistant (Community Support and Social Activities)
- Project Assistant (Education)
- Project Assistant (Vocational Guidance)
- Project Assistant (Health)
- Project Field Coordinator
- Logistics Assistant
- Project Assistant
- Senior Project Assistant (Psychosocial Support)- re-advertised
- National Project Officer (Food Security)
- National Project Officer (Early Recovery and Livelihood)
- Senior Project Assistant (Early Recovery and Livelihood)
- Senior Project Assistant (Food Security)