Vacancy Notice Number:
Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Assistant
6 months Special Short Term Graded Contract (G6)– with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
11 December 2020
Number of People to be hired
Internal and External Candidates
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Monitoring & Evaluation Officer (Whole of Syria (WoS), and direct supervision of Monitoring and Evaluation Support Officer; the incumbent will support the monitoring and evaluation functions by providing technical support in data analysis for all M&E data and prepare required dashboard and maps. The incumbent will work with all the relevant actors to ensure that quality control measures and processes are in line with IOM policies, standards and commitments.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide relevant M&E data to support the development of projects in particular to meet the requirements on Project development (PD) and M&E as set out by donors, IOM project handbook and IOM M&E framework.
- Assist and guide the cross-border M&E team in standardization of tools, database and data management.
- Provide support to Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) team to monitor targets and indicators using agreed M&E Frameworks and work plans, standardized tools and questionnaires.
- Participate in regular M&E coaching and mentorship sessions for Implementing Partners (IPs) to:
- Promote adherence to agreed M&E standards for IOM and donors;
- Encourage widespread use of appropriate data collection methods;
- Improve data quality assurance during data collection;
- Gather feedback on the effectiveness of qualitative and quantitative data collection methods.
- Consolidate, review, clean and analyze M&E data from all M&E activities/initiatives which includes third party monitoring (TPM), accountability to affected population (AAP) and commodity tracking system (CTS).
- Create and maintain dashboards, maps and other types of visualization products analytical reports for cross-border M&E in close coordination with the Whole of Syria officer and project managers.
- Assist in the circulation of relevant qualitative and quantitative data and report to relevant IOM project managers and M&E team in line with M&E frameworks.
- Maintain the strictest confidentiality of all data collected and related processes; verify all data are stored according to IOM data storage guidelines; actively take measures to prevent the unauthorized sharing of any beneficiary data to external parties and ensuring accuracy, consistency and privacy of the shared data.
- Maintain data quality/assurance of all data collected from all monitoring exercises, accountability to affected population (AAP), commodity tracking system (CTS), PSEA and other data gathering initiatives.
- Assist in the development of thematic/sectoral reports in coordination with program managers to be used for internal and external communications materials, highlighting outcomes and impact across the thematic areas and when applicable, to specific areas or groups of beneficiaries.
- Participate and support TPM initiatives by donor, and other IOM sectorial and area assessments, baselines and evaluations.
- Provide routine training to TPM implementing partners on kobo toolbox, power BI, data management etc.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- University degree in Social science, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Demography, Statistics, Mathematics or related field from an accredited academic institution, with four years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with six years of relevant professional experience.
- Proven skills in MS Office applications (in particular Excel and Access), database management and/or statistical software packages (in particular SPSS);
- Experience in data collection (in particular surveys), drafting statistical and analytical reports;
- Experience in the management and coordination of information flows and data management including collecting, storing, processing, and analysing data to generate information products;
- Demonstrated understanding of different data collection methodologies and proven skills to analyse statistical information;
- Ability to translate data into technical briefs for data capture and analysis, and vice versa;
- Ability to compile and holistically analyse diverse datasets and experience with handling confidential data;
- Experience with the management of databases and information systems including design, development, implementation, and maintenance.
- Proven ability to manipulate data by using standard tabulation and statistical software packages (R, SPSS, Atlas, Nvivo, Stata, etc.).
- Experience with mobile data collection platforms such as kobo tool box, ODK etc.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Working knowledge of Arabic is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 11 December 2020.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.