Vacancy Notice Number:
Senior Operations Assistant
6 months Special Short-Term Graded Contract (G7) -with possible extension
Gaziantep - Turkey
Deadline of Applications:
08 February 2021
Number of Vacant Positions:
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The conflict inside Syria remained unresolved and the heavy fighting between the government and opposition forces continued throughout the country causing both destruction and division resulting in massive humanitarian needs across Syria as well as massive displacement of the population. The number of people in need of assistance has grown to over 10 million, including 6.4 million internally displaced persons.
IOM supports the implementation of the whole-of-Syria approach in the framework of the UN Security Council 2165 passed on Monday 14 July 2014, authorizing the UN/IOM to initiate cross-border operations from neighbouring countries. IOM Turkey works with CCCM, Shelter/NFI Working Groups, International Non-governmental Organisations (INGOs) and Syrian partners on identifying vulnerable displaced populations inside Syria, procuring required Non Food Items (NFIs), organising transportation across the border and distributing the items to Syrian people in need.
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Programme Coordinator and the direct supervision of the Emergency Operations Officer, the incumbent will lead the field staffs in organizing the regular operations activities under the cross border emergency response programme for Northern Syria to ensure and promote compliance to the IOM standard Operating procedures and Operations guidelines.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the Emergency Operations Officer in managing the implementation of the emergency response activities including planning, coordination, mobilizing implementing partners, delivery, distribution and monitoring of NFI, emergency shelter and other related humanitarian response under the cross border programme.Take the lead in the preparation of the cross border transhipment schedule, deployment plan, consolidating the logistics requirements, coordinating with other project team/unit of (ie. CCCM, Shelter, livelihood, etc) of their shipment.
- Take the lead in providing the IOM consolidated transhipment plans to the Logistics Cluster and support the Operations Officer in the external logistics coordination activities including participation in the regular cluster coordination meetings. Train and supervise operations. Participate actively in the administrative preparation of the project implementation plan including participating the budget review submitted by the implementing partners, filing, preparing purchase and payment requests, follow up of delivery and status of goods and perform other required financial tasks in coordination with procurement and resource management units.
- Coordinate with the implementing partners for the drafting of the service agreements, planning for the delivery of items (NFI, Shelter, etc.) determining actual distribution costs, submission of documentations (distribution plan, good receipts, waybill etc.) and ensure provision of the logistics requirements.
- Carry out regular field visits and monitor the transhipment processes at the UN designated borders crossings including coordination with Custom authorities and UN Monitoring Mission to ensure proper, accurate, timely delivery and handover of items to the selected implementing partners operating inside Syria.
- Coordinate with partners and authorities including logistics hub officials for the daily delivery activities, acquiring of transport slots, booking of trucks and other required notifications – name of IPs, representative at the border, truck details, etc.
- Monitor and promote internal coordination between the operations and logistics and warehouse including regular check of the stocks availability, following up delivery schedules and share relevant information (ie. IP delivery plan, Types of trucks, name of IPs, etc.)
- Maintain regular communication with implementing partners inside Syria and follow through shipment from the Turkey border including monitoring the truck movements and receipt of the items in the Implementing Partners’ warehouse inside Syria.
- Comply with the IOM Standards of Conduct and the IOM Confidentiality Agreement. Maintain a professional appearance and migrant-friendly demeanour at all times.
- Maintain positive working relationships within the IOM team, UN Officials implementing partners and other entities involve in the Cross border operations.
- Ensure confidentiality of all correspondence and operations and abide with UNDSS rules and procedures.
- Perform other such related duties as may be required.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree in Management, Humanitarian Assistance or a related field from an accredited academic institution with at five years of relevant professional experience;
- Completed High School degree from an accredited academic institution with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in operations, coordination, transportation and general administrative duties;
- Experience in liaising with national, regional and international institutions including UN agencies;
- Proven experience in drafting and preparing clear and concise correspondences;
- Experience working in an international organization an advantage;
- High level of computer literacy, particularly in Microsoft programs such as Excel and Word.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required.
- Working knowledge of Turkish is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability and enthusiasm for the team’s work.
• Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
• Shares credit for team accomplishments and ensures that the contribution of others is recognized.
• Helps create a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the team achieve its goals.
- Delivering results:
•Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs.
• Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations.
• Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs.
• Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
•Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise.
• Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
• Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge.
• Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
• Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the Organization.
• Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
• Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership.
• Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable
•Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
• Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information.
• Listens and seeks to understand without bias, and responds appropriately.
• Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others' views and ideas and respects their contribution.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Assigns responsibilities fairly and manages performance, taking account of individual strengths, workloads and interests.
• Is inclusive in decision-making and actively seeks feedback from team members and colleagues in order to identify opportunities for improvement.
• Takes sound and timely managerial decisions that are consistent with the Organization's vision and purpose.
• Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of stakeholders to understand needs and gain support.
- Empowering others and building trust:
•Delegates appropriately to make the most of others’ talents, clarifying expectations and allowing autonomy in important areas while providing necessary support.
• Encourages others to take responsibility for their performance; promotes ownership, responsibility and accountability for desired results at all levels.
• Creates an atmosphere of trust and confidence in which others can talk and act without fear of repercussion.
• Gives proper credit to others, shows appreciation and rewards achievement and effort.
- Strategic thinking and vision:
•Aligns own actions to the Organization’s vision, values and mandate.
• Translates strategic direction into short and medium-term plans and objectives for own team; revises objectives to reflect changes in organizational goals.
• Identifies key issues/priorities in complex situations and how they may be related to one another.
• Clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that female candidates are highly encouraged and that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sokak No:24 Cankaya, Ankara by the end of 08 February 2021.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
 As applicable.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.