Vacancy Notice Number:
Senior Pre-Departure Orientation Trainer
One Year Fixed Term Contract (G6)– with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
15 December 2022
Number of People to be hired
Internal & External Candidates
Under the overall supervision of the IOM Turkey Chief of Mission (CoM) and direct supervision of the Senior Operations Officer in Istanbul and in close coordination with the Regional and global CO Coordinators, the incumbent’s responsibilities will include the following:
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct Cultural Orientation (CO) for U.S.- bound refugees both within Istanbul as well as through out the region when needed and act as a backup to trainers;
- Coordinate the provision of CO to refugees bound to Canada, Australia, Finland, UK, France, Netherlands and any other resettling country as requested;
- Write lesson plans in accordance with CO curriculum objectives when requested;
- Implement student- centred activities in all CO classes;
- Participate in and contribute to teacher trainings and staff development seminars;
- Assist in the development of teaching materials, visual aids, and bulletin boards which supports the objectives of the CO curriculum;
- Maintain CO Turkey statistics;
- Maintain inventories of all instructional supplies and order materials in direct consultation with the Regional CO Coordinator on quarterly basis ;
- Engage in self-directed study for professional development, including reading resettlement updates, language tutorials, attending CO related workshops and seminars;
- In Coordination with IOM Turkey Operations department, obtain refugees contact information and make sure refugees are informed of their scheduled CO classes;
- Prepare class schedules and update CO tracking sheets for reporting purposes as directed by the Regional CO Coordinator;
- Assist in coordinating, guiding and monitoring work of CO trainers.
- Hold weekly staff meetings with CO trainers and CO admin staff;
- Assist Regional CO Coordinator submit monthly and quarterly program narrative and statistical reports;
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- University Degree in teaching or a related field is required.
Experience and Skills:
- Minimum 6 years of working teaching / cross-cultural setting.
- Good computer skills in MS Office applications, good internet skills.
- Personal qualities: Highly motivated with strong interest in humanitarian work, dynamic and energetic with strong personality to manage work pressure.
- Excellent typing skills in English 50-60 w/m.
- Excellent knowledge of word processing, and experience in using database.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Türkiye will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail to email@example.com or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Türkiye by the end of 15 December 2022.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.