Vacancy Notice Number:
SVN#TR/2019/166 – re-advertised
Senior Project Assistant (CCCM)
6 months Special Short Term Graded Contract -with possible extension (G6)
Deadline of Applications:
29 August 2019
Number of Vacant Positions:
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is the only international inter-governmental agency with a specific mandate for migration and is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing technical expertise to governments, migrants and host communities through a wide range of sustainable solutions contributing to end forced migration and/or improve displacement conditions. IOM also has a leading role in the Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM) Cluster, participates in coordinated humanitarian responses, and engages in inter-agency collaboration to meet the needs of affected-persons and contribute to their protection.
As a member of the UN Humanitarian Country Team in Syria and all concerned neighbouring countries (Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, and Turkey), the IOM Director General has activated the L3 Emergency SOPs to enhance organizational humanitarian assistance and priorities related to IDPs, refugees and returnees, and is actively participating in the emergency response within this rapidly changing humanitarian context. Security Council Resolution 2449 will supersede earlier adopted SCR 2191 and 2165, allowing UN and its partners to provide cross border assistance from Turkey to Northern Syria in 2019.
Per HNAP Demographic Survey (July 2018), over 6 million individuals (31% of Syria’s total population) are internally displaced persons (IDPs). Approximately 32% of Syrian IDPs are currently residing in Aleppo (18% of total IDP population) and Idleb governorate (14% of total IDP population). The first half of 2018 was marked by significant military operations by the Government of Syria, and changes in control of large parts of Syria, which resulted in displacements from previously besieged enclaves and opposition-held areas (such as Eastern Ghouta, Northern Homs, Dara’a, and Q’neitra) to the remaining de-escalation zone in Northwest Syria. These additional IDPs put strain on already overstretched IDP hosting capacity in these areas.
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Programme Coordinator and the direct supervision of the Project Officer (CCCM), the candidate will provide assistance in the implementation of the cross-border Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM) program activities, especially focusing on activities under the Site Management Support Team project, in partnership with sub-implementing partners.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in daily implementation and monitoring of project activities related to IOM Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM) projects within the cross-border response to the Syria crisis, especially Site Management Support Team project, and line-manage one project assistant.
- Assist in all the financial, administrative and technical aspects of the CCCM projects to follow IOM’s policies and procedures and to be implemented in a timely and efficient manner and within the budget.
- Liaise with sub-implementing partner on grant agreements and payments in close coordination and follow ups with the Resource Management Department.
- Provide support in various monitoring and evaluation exercises in close coordination with the M&E Unit.
- Monitor the delivery of procurement and logistics activities according to the project operations in coordination with the Procurement and Logistics Department and the Operations Unit.
- Monitor the progress of the project, collect site development progress reports, sitreps, site management updates and 4Ws, compile and share information from the IP on a weekly basis.
- Follow up with sub-implementing partner on reporting requirements and submit all reports timely.
- Monitor compliance in the visibility requirements, support the creation of PI materials and human-interest stories in coordination with the Public Information and Communications Department.
- Provide support in maintaining positive relations with NGOs, UN agencies, and Clusters.
- Supervise and build the capacity of project assistant(s).
- Provide guidance for new and existing CCCM staff on IOM’s logistics, procurement, finance and administration procedures.
- Act as project manager for the Site Management Support Team project when CCCM Project Officer is out-of-office.
- Assist with informal oral and written translations, including quasi-legal documents (e.g. Land agreements, MoUs) and key communications, from Arabic to English and vice versa.
- Assist in proposal design, project development and reporting.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree in International Relations, Sociology, Political Science, Business Administration, Engineering, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with four years of professional experience; or
- Completed High School degree from an accredited academic institution with six years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience working with Camp Coordination and Camp Management operations.
- Experience in emergency operations and program design that includes support to displaced populations and refugees, as well as practical application of SPHERE standards and indicator tracking.
- Familiarity with the Syrian context.
- Experience with external engagement (donors and OCHA Clusters), including communicating and report writing in English.
- Experience working with international humanitarian organizations, non-governmental or governmental institutions/organizations in a multi-cultural setting.
- Experience leading or supporting capacity building of team staff, sub implementing partners, etc.
- Proficient use of Microsoft software such as Excel and PowerPoint and other software such as KoBo toolbox, Dropbox, IBM SPSS Statistics, etc.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required.
- Knowledge of Turkish is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability and enthusiasm for the team’s work.
• Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
• Shares credit for team accomplishments and ensures that the contribution of others is recognized.
• Helps create a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the team achieve its goals.
- Delivering results:
•Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs.
• Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations.
• Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs.
• Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
•Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise.
• Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
• Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge.
• Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
• Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the Organization.
• Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
• Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership.
• Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable
•Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
• Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information.
• Listens and seeks to understand without bias, and responds appropriately.
• Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others' views and ideas and respects their contribution.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Assigns responsibilities fairly and manages performance, taking account of individual strengths, workloads and interests.
• Is inclusive in decision-making and actively seeks feedback from team members and colleagues in order to identify opportunities for improvement.
• Takes sound and timely managerial decisions that are consistent with the Organization's vision and purpose.
• Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of stakeholders to understand needs and gain support.
- Empowering others and building trust:
•Delegates appropriately to make the most of others’ talents, clarifying expectations and allowing autonomy in important areas while providing necessary support.
• Encourages others to take responsibility for their performance; promotes ownership, responsibility and accountability for desired results at all levels.
• Creates an atmosphere of trust and confidence in which others can talk and act without fear of repercussion.
• Gives proper credit to others, shows appreciation and rewards achievement and effort.
- Strategic thinking and vision:
•Aligns own actions to the Organization’s vision, values and mandate.
• Translates strategic direction into short and medium-term plans and objectives for own team; revises objectives to reflect changes in organizational goals.
• Identifies key issues/priorities in complex situations and how they may be related to one another.
• Clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sokak No:24 Cankaya, Ankara by the end of 29 August 2019.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
 As applicable.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.