Vacancy Notice Number:
Senior Project Assistant (Data Management)-re-advertised
Gaziantep - Türkiye
6 Months Special Short Term Graded Contract (G6) – with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
4 December 2023
Number of People to be hired
Internal & External
Under the overall supervision of the Programme Officer (Transition and Recovery) and direct supervision of the National Officer (Data Management), the incumbent will be responsible for planning, coordination, monitoring and implementation of information management activities at IOM office in Gaziantep.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the Transition and Recovery Unit (TRU) on data management including planning, implementation and reporting information, beneficiary data verification, data cleaning and submission to information management unit (IMU) for the overall IOM Turkey data base and Whole of Syria Information Gateway (WinG)
- Coordinate and monitor day-to-day activities of implementing partners related to information management.
- Provide specialized support to effective implementation of various IM tools; ensure regular monitoring as per agreed timelines; prepare project status and progress reports.
- Support the planning, designing and implementation of TRU’s Information Management Systems and reporting tools.
- Support in the development of dash boards, maps of area of operations, project updates and accomplishments visualization, processes flow for the SOPs and other reference documents and other visibility materials
- Provide technical support to the IOM staff and partners, on the design and implementation of ODK or similar platforms and other related as well as information management.
- Provide technical support and capacity building on Database applications use and maintenance to the implementing partners as required.
- Design and produce the needed input/output forms, reports, updates and other documentation materials for the databases systems and sub-systems.
- Support in reporting and analyzing qualitative data, assuring data consistency, giving statistical information and mapping of collected data.
- Support with preparation of thematic surveys/assessments tools and support the field teams while these surveys are being rolled out in the field.
- Support the design and management of databases and information systems (including geographical databases and geographical information system coding), dataset extraction for analysis, and data representation.
- Support in the implementation of data protection policy by the TRU team as well as the implementing partners during the data collection, consolidation and submission procedures and support the popularization among the IPs data management team.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- University Degree in Communications, Social Science, Computer Science, Information Technology or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with four years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with six years of relevant professional experience;
- Proven ability to manage and coordinate teams remotely and to prepare clear and concise reports, and assessment tools.
- Experience using computer programs and databases (e.g. Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Access, and other enterprise database system);
- Experience in the use of computer programs and databases (e.g. Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Access, SQL Server, MySQL, SPSS and other enterprise database system);
- Experience in information management, preferably in conflict situations;
- Knowledge about the situation in Syria and historical background about the country;
- Previous experience working with an International Organization, UN agencies or NGOs;
- Proven ability to work effectively and harmoniously within a team of colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds;
- Proven ability to work under stressful conditions.
- Knowledge in advance excel, powerBi, and statistical analysis, preferred.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required.
- The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability and enthusiasm for the team’s work.
• Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
• Shares credit for team accomplishments and ensures that the contribution of others is recognized.
• Helps create a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the team achieve its goals.
- Delivering results:
•Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs.
• Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations.
• Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs.
• Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
•Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise.
• Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
• Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge.
• Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
• Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the Organization.
• Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
• Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership.
• Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable
•Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
• Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information.
• Listens and seeks to understand without bias and responds appropriately.
• Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others' views and ideas and respects their contribution.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Assigns responsibilities fairly and manages performance, taking account of individual strengths, workloads and interests.
• Is inclusive in decision-making and actively seeks feedback from team members and colleagues in order to identify opportunities for improvement.
• Takes sound and timely managerial decisions that are consistent with the Organization's vision and purpose.
• Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of stakeholders to understand needs and gain support.
- Empowering others and building trust:
•Delegates appropriately to make the most of others’ talents, clarifying expectations and allowing autonomy in important areas while providing necessary support.
• Encourages others to take responsibility for their performance; promotes ownership, responsibility and accountability for desired results at all levels.
• Creates an atmosphere of trust and confidence in which others can talk and act without fear of repercussion.
• Gives proper credit to others, shows appreciation and rewards achievement and effort.
- Strategic thinking and vision:
•Aligns own actions to the Organization’s vision, values and mandate.
• Translates strategic direction into short and medium-term plans and objectives for own team; revises objectives to reflect changes in organizational goals.
• Identifies key issues/priorities in complex situations and how they may be related to one another.
• Clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
This is a local position and applications from candidates for non-Turkish citizens holding a valid residence permit residing in Türkiye might be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Türkiye by the end of 4 December 2023.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
 As applicable.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.