Senior Project Assistant (Protection) (Ref: CFA#TR/2023/60)
Vacancy Notice Number:
Senior Project Assistant (Protection)
3 months Special Short Term Ungraded Contract- with possible extension
Mersin - Türkiye
Deadline of Applications:
27 March 2023
Number of Vacant Positions:
Internal & External Candidates
Under the overall supervision of the Protection and Resilience Officer and direct supervision of Project Field Coordinator the incumbent will be responsible for ensuring protection related activities are delivered according to relevant SoPs and needs.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with Project Field Coordinator, to follow up on internal and external referrals to the project and conduct relevant assessments deciding on the most appropriate response.
- Oversee day-to-day implementation of protection and social activities related activities in assigned locations.
- Monitor and ensure the case management referrals are tracked in the available online recording and reporting tools, inputting new cases and updating information as required.
- Respond to the needs of beneficiaries, as per the criteria and guidelines of IOM services, ensuring that the support is in line with protection mainstreaming, disability inclusion and gender sensitive and follows the Project SoPs
- Ensure that the project expenditures are in line with the project objectives and protection principles in close coordination with the direct supervisor and senior managers units.
- Ensure that assigned staff received all the relevant trainings on LGBTI, Protection Mainstreaming and Case Management Principles, Social Activities, Social Cohesion, and Education or on ad hoc topics.
- Develop and maintain positive relations with external partners provide information about IOM’s protection activities.
- Attend protection sector working group meetings and other case management meetings at the local level, represent IOM when required and report the meetings accordingly.
- Support the Refugee Response Programme with other tasks when required and undertake visits to the field.
- Support the direct supervisor on regular reporting processes and support to develop reporting and tracking tools.
- Work in close coordination with other units to ensure proceedings are in line with IOM Internal support mechanisms and guide colleagues in this regard when needed.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- University degree in Psychology, Social and/or Political Science, International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution with at least four years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with six years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in relevant field and in working with vulnerable groups;
- Proven experience in facilitating social activities for migrants;
- Knowledgeable in organizing social service workshops;
- Proven analytical, interpersonal, mediation and organizational skills;
- Excellent level of computer literacy;
- Experience in liaising with migrant communities;
- Prior experience working with migrant children will be an advantage
- Residing or willing to reside in Gaziantep
- Fluency in English and Turkish is required.
- Working knowledge of Arabic is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability and enthusiasm for the team’s work.
• Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
• Shares credit for team accomplishments and ensures that the contribution of others is recognized.
• Helps create a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the team achieve its goals.
- Delivering results:
•Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs.
• Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations.
• Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs.
• Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
•Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise.
• Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
• Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge.
• Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
• Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the Organization.
• Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
• Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership.
• Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable
•Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
• Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information.
• Listens and seeks to understand without bias, and responds appropriately.
• Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others' views and ideas and respects their contribution.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Assigns responsibilities fairly and manages performance, taking account of individual strengths, workloads and interests.
• Is inclusive in decision-making and actively seeks feedback from team members and colleagues in order to identify opportunities for improvement.
• Takes sound and timely managerial decisions that are consistent with the Organization's vision and purpose.
• Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of stakeholders to understand needs and gain support.
- Empowering others and building trust:
•Delegates appropriately to make the most of others’ talents, clarifying expectations and allowing autonomy in important areas while providing necessary support.
• Encourages others to take responsibility for their performance; promotes ownership, responsibility and accountability for desired results at all levels.
• Creates an atmosphere of trust and confidence in which others can talk and act without fear of repercussion.
• Gives proper credit to others, shows appreciation and rewards achievement and effort.
- Strategic thinking and vision:
•Aligns own actions to the Organization’s vision, values and mandate.
• Translates strategic direction into short and medium-term plans and objectives for own team; revises objectives to reflect changes in organizational goals.
• Identifies key issues/priorities in complex situations and how they may be related to one another.
• Clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that female candidates are highly encouraged and that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Türkiye will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sokak No:24 Cankaya, Ankara by the end of 27 March 2023.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
 As applicable.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
- Human Resources Specialist
- Human Resources Associate
- Human Resources Assistant
- National Information Management Officer-re-advertised
- Human Resources Associate
- Human Resources Assistant
- Human Resources Associate
- Human Resources Assistant
- Finance Intern
- Administrative Associate
- Senior Data Management Assistant (Recovery and Stabilization)
- Project Assistant (PRU)-re-advertised
- Project Assistant (Health)-re-advertised
- National Officer (Shelter-CS)-re-advertised