Vacancy Notice Number:
Senior Project Assistant (Psychosocial Support)
6 months Special Short-Term Contract (G7) -with possible extension
Kahramanmaras - Turkey
Deadline of Applications:
1 October 2021
Number of Vacant Positions:
Internal & External Candidates
Under the overall supervision of the Protection and Resilience Officer and direct and technical supervision of National Officer (Protection Psychosocial Support), the incumbent will manage and lead in the planning, implementation and monitoring of Psychosocial Support and outreach activities of the Psychosocial Mobile Team (PMT) in their respective AoR.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Coordinate the overall management of the MHPSS and outreach activities to ensure smooth functioning of the team by preparing work plans for family support sessions, counseling services, recreational and rights-based activities, community mobilization and awareness sessions.
2. Manage the PMT to ensure that activity implementation and expenditures are in line with project budget and objectives by utilizing tools created for management of the MHPSS component.
3. Maintain strong and active contacts with national authorities and professionals, including relevant Provincial Directorates and municipalities to maintain strong relationships by engaging in ongoing exchange of information with provincial institutional, professional and NGOs and UN counterparts.
4. Participate in relevant sector and government coordination meetings by representing IOM to keep the PMT and broader Protection Unit abreast of changing policy and field developments.
5. Develop monitoring and evaluation tools by undertaking field visits and activity review actions monitoring project activities to identify shortfalls in delivery of MHPSS activities and recommend changes to the teams in line with programme objectives
6. Draft regular reports covering monthly and yearly MHPSS activities to highlight and showcase the activities of the PMT internally and externally by preparing statistical/narrative reports and meeting minutes.
7. Train staff on Protection and MHPSS principles to guide new and existing protection staff on all project related activities by leading capacity building and development initiatives on Protection, MHPSS and project related topics.
8. Lead the PMT in the preparation of updates, programme summaries, and other relevant information materials and statistics, according to the specific project needs.
9. Participate in meetings with government entities, Inter–Agency coordination meeting to avoid duplication of services in the Area of Responsibility (AoR).
10. Draft and update work plans, project tracking sheets to ensure that project outcomes are in line with project documents.
11. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- University degree in Psychology, Sociology, human sciences, International Relations, or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with five years of relevant professional experience; or,
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in emergency and humanitarian programmes for migrants and refugees;
- Comprehensive experience and knowledge of MHPSS and Protection principles and the Temporary Protection regulations in Turkey;
- Experience in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as with national and international institutions;
- Experience in community outreach, mental health and psychosocial support activities in emergencies or protection related activities;
- Previous experience in MHPSS in the Syrian Crisis response is highly desirable as well as sound knowledge of working group structures, their work, and different priorities; and,
- Knowledge of international protection principles is an advantage.
- Fluency in English and Turkish is required.
- Working knowledge of Arabic is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability and enthusiasm for the team’s work.
• Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
• Shares credit for team accomplishments and ensures that the contribution of others is recognized.
• Helps create a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the team achieve its goals.
- Delivering results:
•Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs.
• Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations.
• Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs.
• Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
•Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise.
• Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
• Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge.
• Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
• Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the Organization.
• Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
• Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership.
• Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable
•Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
• Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information.
• Listens and seeks to understand without bias, and responds appropriately.
• Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others' views and ideas and respects their contribution.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Assigns responsibilities fairly and manages performance, taking account of individual strengths, workloads and interests.
• Is inclusive in decision-making and actively seeks feedback from team members and colleagues in order to identify opportunities for improvement.
• Takes sound and timely managerial decisions that are consistent with the Organization's vision and purpose.
• Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of stakeholders to understand needs and gain support.
- Empowering others and building trust:
•Delegates appropriately to make the most of others’ talents, clarifying expectations and allowing autonomy in important areas while providing necessary support.
• Encourages others to take responsibility for their performance; promotes ownership, responsibility and accountability for desired results at all levels.
• Creates an atmosphere of trust and confidence in which others can talk and act without fear of repercussion.
• Gives proper credit to others, shows appreciation and rewards achievement and effort.
- Strategic thinking and vision:
•Aligns own actions to the Organization’s vision, values and mandate.
• Translates strategic direction into short and medium-term plans and objectives for own team; revises objectives to reflect changes in organizational goals.
• Identifies key issues/priorities in complex situations and how they may be related to one another.
• Clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that female candidates are highly encouraged and that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sokak No:24 Cankaya, Ankara by the end of 1 October 2021.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
- On-call Interpreter
- HR Intern
- Finance Assistant (Compliance)
- Field Security Assistant (SSAFE)
- Project Assistant (Livelihood)
- Project Assistant (Agriculture)
- HR Assistant
- National Officer (Protection & Psychosocial)
- On Call Project Assistant (Outreach)
- Project Assistant (Outreach) - re-advertised
- Medical Escort (Physician) – On-call basis
- Medical Escort (Psychiatrist) – On-call basis
- Medical Escort (Nurse) - On-Call Basis
- Data Processing Assistant
- Data Processing Assistant
- Data Processing Assistant
- Data Processing Assistant
- Migration Health Nurse
- Migration Health Nurse
- Project Assistant (Special Education)
- Project Assistant (CBCM)
- Senior Project Assistant (MHPSS)- re-advertised
- Project Assistant (Social Services)
- Project Assistant (Community Support and Social Activities)
- Project Assistant (Education)
- Project Assistant (Vocational Guidance)
- Project Assistant (Health)
- Project Field Coordinator
- Logistics Assistant
- Project Assistant
- Senior Project Assistant (Psychosocial Support)- re-advertised
- National Project Officer (Food Security)
- National Project Officer (Early Recovery and Livelihood)
- Senior Project Assistant (Early Recovery and Livelihood)
- Senior Project Assistant (Food Security)