Vacancy Notice Number:
Senior Project Assistant
One Year Fixed Term Contract (G7)- with possible extension
Ankara - Türkiye
Deadline of Applications:
7 February 2023
Number of Vacant Positions:
Internal & External Candidates
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and direct supervision of the Senior Programme Coordinator (IBG, the incumbent will be responsible in providing coordination of the related activities for the required implementation of the projects under IBG Unit portfolio of the Country Office.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Independently lead and coordinate the implementation of the project; monitor implementation of the activities to ensure work is proceeding according to established plans; analyse implementation difficulties and make recommendations for adjusting implementation modalities and work plans to best reflect changing environment on the field.
- Coordinate implementation of activities of the project(s), day to day activities and administrative processes; report regularly on the challenges and progress recorded in realization of activities
- Take the lead in coordinating all logistical and administrative arrangements of project activities such as conferences, trainings, workshops, study/field visits etc.
- Actively participate and contribute to project activities (conferences, trainings, workshops, study/field visits) via moderation of events; preparation and delivery of presentations; responding to questions of the participants etc.
- Coordinate effectively in the monitoring of project budget; suggest amendment of the project budget if necessary.
- Conduct research and assessment work particularly in view of strategic, programmatic and project-specific funding opportunities.
- Coordinate preparation of various project related correspondence (programs of activities; list of participants; invitation letters etc.).
- Prepare and draft Terms of References as well as contracts of the consultants working in the project.
- Coordinate and actively participate in editing and preparing of relevant situation/activities donor/project reports, updates, info sheets, publications, press-releases, presentations and other information materials, analysis of statistical information for the purposes of the Program etc. in cooperation with relevant officials at IOM Turkey, project partners and other IOM missions involved.
- Actively coordinate maintaining linkages/strengthening cooperation with national authorities, national counterparts, civil society, international organizations, acting as focal point for project activities etc. and act as a focal point in collaboration and communication with the beneficiary and other stakeholders of the projects,
- Assist in M&E of the project activities.
- Participate and moderate project-related meetings, either internal and external with government, non-governmental and UN agencies/institutions, inter alia preparing reports, strategy papers, taking minutes of the meetings, brief notes/notes for the file,
- Perform functions of the national project officer in his/her absence
- Coordinate planning of new IBG projects as well as backstopping ongoing activities as well as synergize IBG work with other units of Migration Management,
- Regularly research, follow-up, compile, analyse and share information/data on national, regional and international developments, reports, legislation and other relevant documentation on migration relevant to work of IOM Turkey, noting and highlighting noteworthy issues and proposing actions especially in the field of integration.
- Carry out informal translation of high-level correspondences and project related documents, reports if requested by the supervisor.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Social and/or Political Science, International Relations, or related fields from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience.
- Completed High school diploma from an accredited academic institution with seven years of relevant experience.
- Proven knowledge on integration and relevant national/international policies is an asset;
- Proven experience in project management particularly in matters related counter migrant smuggling, combatting irregular migration as well as alternatives to detention;
- Proven experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national / international institutions;
- Proven familiarity with diplomatic environment
- Experience in writing papers, briefings and articles;
- Proven analytical, interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Good level of computer literacy;
- Experience working in the region an advantage.
- Good knowledge of IOM financial rules, procedures and processes.
- Prior experience in functions relating to project implementation and programme activities.
- Willingness to travel if needed and required.
- Fluency in English and Turkish is required.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
- Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
- Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency: Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
- Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
- Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability and enthusiasm for the team’s work.
- Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and ensures that the contribution of others is recognized.
- Helps create a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the team achieve its goals.
- Delivering results:
- Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs.
- Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations.
- Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs.
- Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
- Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise.
- Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
- Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge.
- Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
- Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the Organization.
- Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
- Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership.
- Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
- Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information.
- Listens and seeks to understand without bias and responds appropriately.
- Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others' views and ideas and respects their contribution.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Assigns responsibilities fairly and manages performance, taking account of individual strengths, workloads and interests.
- Is inclusive in decision-making and actively seeks feedback from team members and colleagues in order to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Takes sound and timely managerial decisions that are consistent with the Organization's vision and purpose.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of stakeholders to understand needs and gain support.
- Empowering others and building trust:
- Delegates appropriately to make the most of others’ talents, clarifying expectations and allowing autonomy in important areas while providing necessary support.
- Encourages others to take responsibility for their performance; promotes ownership, responsibility and accountability for desired results at all levels.
- Creates an atmosphere of trust and confidence in which others can talk and act without fear of repercussion.
- Gives proper credit to others, shows appreciation and rewards achievement and effort.
- Strategic thinking and vision:
- Aligns own actions to the Organization’s vision, values and mandate.
- Translates strategic direction into short and medium-term plans and objectives for own team; revises objectives to reflect changes in organizational goals.
- Identifies key issues/priorities in complex situations and how they may be related to one another.
- Clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that female candidates are highly encouraged and that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Türkiye will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail to email@example.com or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sokak No:24 Cankaya, Ankara by the end of 7 February 2023.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
 As applicable.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.