Vacancy Notice Number:
Senior Project Data Assistant (M and E)
Gaziantep – Turkey
6 months Special Short Term Graded Contract (G6)– with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
02 July 2019
Number of People to be hired
Internal and External Candidates
With the crisis in Syria in its fourth year, a political solution is still to be found as the conflict remain unresolved and the heavy fighting between the government and opposition forces has continued throughout the country generating regional refugee crisis. 3.9 million Syrian refugees are living in neighbouring countries, with over 2 million in Turkey. While over 260,000 Syrians are living in 25 camps across Turkey, the remaining 1.5 million (accounting for 85%) live outside of camps in urban and rural areas throughout the country.
IOM supports the implementation of the whole-of-Syria approach in the framework of the UN Security Council 2165/2191, authorizing the UN/IOM to initiate cross-border operations from neighbouring countries. IOM Turkey works with CCCM and Shelter/NFI Clusters, international NGOs, and Syrian partners on identifying vulnerable displaced populations inside Syria, procuring required Non-food Items (NFIs), organizing transportation across the border, and distributing the items to Syrian people in need. In Turkey, in line with the Regional Refugee and Resilience Plan (3RP), IOM is providing multiservice assistance for Syrians including transportation, NFIs, support to food kitchens, voucher distributions, and support to community centres established by NGOs.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Sub Office - ESEM Turkey Region and direct supervision of the Monitoring and evaluation Officer, the incumbent will be responsible for supporting the processes and outputs related to data collection, cleaning, analysis, sharing and storing. He/she will be responsible for conducting data cleaning according to M&E standards and by using meaningful statistical analysis and techniques to infer results from the data collected. The incumbent will be responsible for implementing the data sharing standards used by IOM while maintaining accuracy, consistency, comparability and privacy of the data shared. S/he will also be responsible for supporting the maintenance of a beneficiary database and consolidation of all assessment-related and M&E data.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide relevant M&E data to support the development of projects in particular to meet the requirements on Project development (PD) and M&E as set out by donors, IOM project handbook and IOM M&E framework.
- Assist and guide the MEAL team in standardizing and localizing data management for better M&E tracking, including the field operations.
- Provide support to Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) team to monitor targets and indicators using agreed M&E Frameworks and work plans, including application of standardized M&E tools and facilitate and guide their application within the project area of responsibility (AoR).
- Participate in regular M&E coaching and mentorship sessions for relevant colleagues and Implementing Partners (IPs) in the field to:
- Promote adherence to agreed M&E standards for IOM and donors;
- Encourage widespread use of appropriate data collection methods;
- Improve data quality assurance during data collection;
- Gather feedback regarding the effectiveness of qualitative and quantitative data collection methods.
- Consolidate, review and analyze M&E data based on key performance indicators and report any irregularities to the M&E Officer.
- Create and maintain visualized dashboards, M&E data or knowledge management systems and analytical reports for Monitoring and evaluation unit in close coordination with MEAL Assistants, Community Feedback Assistants and portal support unit team
- Assist in the circulation of relevant qualitative and quantitative data to relevant IOM project managers and M&E team in line with M&E frameworks.
- Maintain the strictest confidentiality of all data collected and related processes; verify all data are stored according to IOM data storage guidelines; actively take measures to prevent the unauthorized sharing of any beneficiary data to external parties and ensuring accuracy, consistency and privacy of the shared data.
- Assist in the development of thematic/sectoral reports in coordination with program managers to be used for internal and external communications materials, highlighting outcomes and impact across the thematic areas and when applicable, to specific areas or groups of beneficiaries.
- Participating and support interagency monitoring and evaluation initiatives such as PDM, sectorial assessments etc. that are led by IOM including baselines and evaluations.
- Provide routine training to enumerators, community feedback assistants, implementing partners on kobo toolbox, power BI, data management etc.
- Participate in the monthly coordination meeting with Information Management Officer and external M&E platforms such as STIMA.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- University degree in Social sciences, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Demography, Statistics or related field from an accredited academic institution, with four years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with six years of relevant professional experience.
- Proven skills in MS Office applications (in particular Excel and Access), database management and/or statistical software packages (in particular SPSS);
- Experience in data collection (in particular surveys), drafting statistical and analytical reports;
- Experience in the management and coordination of information flows and data management including collecting, storing, processing, and analyzing data to generate information products;
- Demonstrated understanding of different data collection methodologies and proven skills to analyze statistical information;
- Ability to translate data into technical briefs for data capture and analysis, and vice versa;
- Ability to compile and holistically analyze diverse datasets and experience with handling confidential data;
- Experience with the management of databases and information systems including design, development, implementation, and maintenance.
- Proven ability to manipulate data by using standard tabulation and statistical software packages (R, SPSS, Atlas, Nvivo, Stata, etc.).
- Experience with mobile data collection platforms such as kobo tool box, ODK etc.
- Fluency in Arabic and English is required.
- Knowledge of Turkish is an advantage.
- The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
- Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- • Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
- • Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
- • Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
- Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- • Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- • Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- • Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- • Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- • Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
- • Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
- • Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
- • Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- • Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability and enthusiasm for the team’s work.
- • Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
- • Shares credit for team accomplishments and ensures that the contribution of others is recognized.
- • Helps create a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the team achieve its goals.
- Delivering results:
- •Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs.
- • Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations.
- • Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs.
- • Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
- •Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise.
- • Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
- • Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge.
- • Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
- • Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the Organization.
- • Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
- • Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership.
- • Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable
- •Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
- • Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information.
- • Listens and seeks to understand without bias, and responds appropriately.
- • Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others' views and ideas and respects their contribution.
- Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- • Assigns responsibilities fairly and manages performance, taking account of individual strengths, workloads and interests.
- • Is inclusive in decision-making and actively seeks feedback from team members and colleagues in order to identify opportunities for improvement.
- • Takes sound and timely managerial decisions that are consistent with the Organization's vision and purpose.
- • Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of stakeholders to understand needs and gain support.
- Empowering others and building trust:
- •Delegates appropriately to make the most of others’ talents, clarifying expectations and allowing autonomy in important areas while providing necessary support.
- • Encourages others to take responsibility for their performance; promotes ownership, responsibility and accountability for desired results at all levels.
- • Creates an atmosphere of trust and confidence in which others can talk and act without fear of repercussion.
- • Gives proper credit to others, shows appreciation and rewards achievement and effort.
- Strategic thinking and vision:
- •Aligns own actions to the Organization’s vision, values and mandate.
- • Translates strategic direction into short and medium-term plans and objectives for own team; revises objectives to reflect changes in organizational goals.
- • Identifies key issues/priorities in complex situations and how they may be related to one another.
• Clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 02 July 2019.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
 As applicable.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
- Project Assistant (CMS)
- On Call – Warehouse Laborer-re advertised
- On Call Field Support (Enumerator)
- ICT Intern
- Health Counselor
- National Project Officer (FAP)
- On Call Operations Assistant
- Counselling Assistant (Re-advertised)
- Emergency Operations Assistant
- Senior Emergency Operations Assistant (Shelter/NFI/SSP)
- Senior Emergency Operations Assistant (Shelter/NFI/CS)
- Senior Emergency Operations Assistant (Shelter/NFI/Direct distribution)