Position: Senior Project Manager
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Reports to: Deputy Country Director
Duration: 12 months
About RI: Relief International specializes in relief and development programs that benefit people in acute distress. A registered non-profit in the US, UK, France and Belgium, our work targets those fragile countries or communities that suffer from recurrent man-made or natural crises that impede human development. The people that we serve live in seventeen countries across the Middle East, Africa, and Asia where the debilitating effects of political instability, forced displacement, and natural disasters are pervasive. Often, RI is the only organization providing healthcare, education, logistics, energy, capacity building, economic development, sanitation, and many other forms of assistance to these highly vulnerable communities.
The Senior Project Manager will manage all aspects of the assigned grant(s). S/he develops, leads, monitors and evaluates assigned project(s). The role requires active engagement with local partners who support in implementing the project activities. The position has line management responsibility for project staff.
Position Responsibilities and Duties:
- Under the supervision of the line manager, provide planning, programmatic and technical support to the assigned project.
- Ensure activities are in line with the approved project proposal, budget and implementation plan, communicating issues/problems in advance to line manager and preparing course corrections as needed.
- Provide leadership for the assigned project, working to ensure short and long term impacts and outcomes are successfully achieved and there is a positive impact for the beneficiaries, local authorities and local partners.
- Continuous supervision and monitoring of project activities, regularly evaluating progress of the outputs and targets (through on track/off track assessments) and develop corrective actions in coordination line manager and colleagues to mitigate any delay in implementation.
- Raising PRs based on program procurement plan/spend down plan and coordinate with operations department to ensure procurement is received in a timely manner.
- Under the guidance of the line manager, work constructively with support teams to ensure sound administrative practices with regards to record keeping and communication/visibility and ensure programs are implemented in compliance with donor requirements through the project lifecycle.
- In collaboration with the line manager and the Grants Unit, organize and lead program kick off meetings, grant review meetings and grant closeout meetings.
- Draft all technical donor narrative reports and other internal program reports and submit to the line manager for review.
- Ensure regular supervision is performed and guidance provided to the partner staff
- Perform other tasks and duties as requested by the line manager and/or senior management team.
- Line manage staff assigned to project, including day-to-day management, developing of work plans, training plans, regular staff appraisal and performance reviews.
- Facilitate regular meetings with staff to ensure regular information sharing on project performance.
- Provide coaching and technical supervision to staff (and partners), in coordination with line manager.
- Manage all Project Managers in the absence of the Deputy Country Director.
- Manage the budget for assigned project(s) and ensure all expenses are according to budget and meet RI standards, as well as follow donor(s)’s rules and regulation, with regards to financial management and accountability.
- Hold monthly Budget Versus Actual meetings with line manager and Finance Department to review spending and suggest course correction in the event of major underspending or overspending.
- Work closely with RI’s partners to achieve agreed targets and activities and build and maintain healthy relationship with them.
- Conduct needs assessment (as required) for prospective new partners, in coordination with line manager and other departments.
- Support the implementation of the partner capacity building plan in coordination with other departments.
- Ensure program’s quality through compliance and adherence to RI, donor and national policies, procedures and guidelines, as well as internationally recognized standards.
- Conduct regular follow-up with the implementing partners to ensure the timely implementation of the projects, donor compliance and where needed provide capacity support to their organizational development.
- Review partner financial and technical narratives and submit for review to the Line Manager to follow up with relevant departments (Grants/Finance/M&E).
Monitoring and evaluation
- Play a key role in implementing an effective monitoring and evaluation framework for the program based on RI’s results framework.
- Contribute and support RI’s knowledge management efforts through collating lessons learned and best practices and disseminating to the team.
Communication and Coordination
- Develop and maintain regular and transparent supportive communication structures.
- Draft human interest and success stories and share with the RI Communication and Reporting Officer.
- Actively participate in regular meetings with Program Team and other departments to ensure program(s) harmonized and streamlined
- Participate in internal and external coordination meetings in coordination with the Program Manager and the External Relation Manager, as requested by line manager and/or senior management team
- Coordinate with Program Manager for partners’ score cards, center registration and work permits, risks, etc.
- Work within the department and in collaboration with Grants, M&E, Technical and Support departments on program development including, proposals, concept notes, modification requests etc
- Share technical reports, research, field reports with the relevant staff to support development of concept notes
Qualifications & requirements:
- Minimum five years of experience in similar positions; experience in working through partners preferred.
- Experience in working in health (mental health and physical rehabilitation) and livelihood projects highly desirable.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field such as management, business administration etc. is preferred.
- At least three years of supervisory experience in an NGO setting.
- Knowledge and familiarity with donor rules and regulations. ECHO, BPRM, EC, UN donors experience preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of current issues and operating context in Turkey.
- Fluency in written and oral English and Turkish. Arabic is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities, deadlines, tasks efficiently.
- Excellent time management skills and resourcefulness with strong attention to detail.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills, and ability to think critically and creatively.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including patience and diplomacy;
- Willingness to travel within Istanbul and to project locations within Turkey as assigned to the position (i.e. Izmir)
- Must be capable of working both individually and as part of a team.
- Preference will be given to Turkish citizens.
- We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality and operational independence.
- We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
- We value:
Transparency and accountability
Agility and innovation
All RI staff, volunteers and interns must adhere and respect this values.
All Relief International members (staff, volunteers and interns) are committed to the RI policies such as, RI Code of Conduct, Child Protection Policy, Reporting Conflict of Interest, Reporting Misconduct, Reporting Sexual Exploitation and Abuse. All new comers are expected to adhere to all these policies.
Disclaimer Clause: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with position.
How to Apply:
In case you meet the requirements and that you are interested in the position,please send your CV in English in addition to three professional references to before September 01, 2019 stating in the subject “Senior Project Manager“All candidates must be eligible to work in Turkey"
Please note that the position may be filled before the deadline of submission of the applications.