Vacancy Notice Number:
Senior Protection Assistant (Data Analysis) – re-advertised
Gaziantep - Turkey
6 months Special Short Term Graded Contract (G6)– with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
23 July 2021
Number of People to be hired
Internal and External Candidates
Under the overall supervision of the Protection Officer (Whole of Syria (WoS), and direct supervision of the National Protection Officer, the incumbent will support IOM’s Cross Border Protection Unit by providing technical support in data analysis for all protection data collected by partners in Northwest Syria.
The candidate will be managing all data reporting of the Unit, maintaining, expanding and updating the Unit’s existing, comprehensive reporting system on a rolling basis. The candidate will also prepare required dashboard and analysis reports for both internal and external use and provide capacity support to all implementing partners on data collection and reporting. The incumbent will work with all relevant Support Units to ensure that quality control measures and processes are in line with IOM policies, Data Protection standards and commitments.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist and guide the cross-border Protection team in standardization of data collection tools, database and data management; and support the continued adherence to IOM’s data protection principles
- Conduct ongoing trend analysis on issues that may impact the protection environment in NW Syria,
- Provide support to Protection team to develop logical frameworks and monitor targets and indicators;
- Provide training to Protection implementing partners on data collection and analysis tools (kobo toolbox, power BI) and data protection, and support data quality assurance; in particular regarding legal assessments on civil documentation and housing, land and property issues (household surveys and key informant interviews)
- Work closely with IOM’s Protection Partners to consolidate, clean, review and analyze Protection data from all legal programming and other activities (household surveys, key informant interviews, focus group discussions, case management data), in coordination with the Senior Protection Assistants;
- Ensure consistent use of appropriate data collection methods by implementing partners;
- Create and maintain pivot tables, PowerBI dashboards, maps and other types of visualization products and analytical reports for the cross-border Protection team;
- Assist in the drafting of relevant thematic narrative reports, to be used for internal and external communications materials and for donor reporting, highlighting outcomes and impact across the thematic areas and when applicable, to specific areas or groups of beneficiaries;
- Assist and support MEAL, accountability to affected population (AAP) and Third Party Monitoring (TPM) initiatives by IOM’s M&E unit, donors, and any other relevant units;
- Support ongoing coordination with IOM’s Project Development and Reporting (PDR), Public Information (PI) and Information Management (IM) and any other units, as required;
- Maintain the strictest confidentiality of all data collected and related processes; verify all data are stored according to IOM data storage guidelines; actively take measures to prevent the unauthorized sharing of any beneficiary data to external parties and ensuring accuracy, consistency and privacy of the shared data;
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- University degree in Social sciences, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Demography, Statistics, Mathematics or related field from an accredited academic institution, with four years of relevant experience; or
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with six years of relevant professional experience.
- Proven skills in MS Office applications), database management and/or statistical software packages (in particular SPSS);
- Professional use of MS Excel with Power Query and VBA
- Professional use of relational databases, especially MS Access and SQL
- Very good knowledge of vector processing software (e.g. Adobe Illustrator)
- Very good knowledge of mapping software including ArcGIS/ QGIS;
- Experience in data collection, drafting statistical and analytical reports;
- Experience in the management and coordination of information flows and data management including collecting, storing, processing, and analysing data to generate information products;
- Demonstrated understanding of different data collection methodologies and proven skills to analyse statistical information;
- Ability to translate data into technical briefs for data capture and analysis, and vice versa; including ability to transform statistics and number into infographics with maximum possibility of automation.
- Ability to compile and holistically analyse diverse datasets and experience with handling confidential data;
- Experience with the management of databases and information systems including design, development, implementation, and maintenance.
- Proven ability to manipulate data by using standard tabulation and statistical software packages (PowerBI, R, SPSS, Atlas, Nvivo, Stata, etc.).
- Professional use and understanding of business intelligence software, particularly Power BI with DAX and M.
- Experience with mobile data collection platforms such as kobo tool box, ODK etc.
- Excellent skills in preparing and presenting statistical presentations using MS PowerPoint.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 23 July 2021.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.