Shelter Officer (Ref: RR-TUR-HM-5-C2-005)
|Withheld Name of International Nongovernmental Organization
|Project Officer (Shelter/NFI)
|İngilizce (C1, Level 5, Upper Intermediate),Türkçe (C1, Level 5, Upper Intermediate)
Location: Kahramanmaras, Hatay / Turkiye
Position: 5 (3 for Kahramanmaras, 2 for Hatay)
Planned start date: July 2023
Duration of commitment: 6 months
Overall Purpose: Working as an important member of a diverse team who are committed to serve the world’s most vulnerable with practical and compassionate care, the Shelter Officer supports and assists with execution of the assigned Shelter project(s). Under the direct supervision of the Shelter Project Manager the Shelter Officer will aid in planning, implementing and monitoring of the Shelter activities. In close cooperation with the team and relevant stakeholders the Shelter Officer assists in the preparation of work plans and learning materials needed for the project activities. In addition, s/he will assist in liaising with national authorities and humanitarian stakeholders as well as local organizations and community leaders and if necessary, participate in coordination meetings.
Project Overview: Our goal in the Turkiye crisis is to provide rapid emergency assistance to the Turkish, and Syrian refugees to the internally displaced people affected by the Earthquake, to cover their immediate needs in health, shelter and basic assistance.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Shelter Project Officer
- Support the overall execution of the Shelter projects including coordination of administrative functions.
- Prepare project implementation work plans and share with the Shelter PM and take the required action for the sites completion before deadline.
- Study and evaluate the overall progress claims and recommend for payment to the beneficiaries/workers.
- Carry out planning, design and prepare Bill of Quantities (BoQs) as needed in the field for Shelter projects.
- Continuously monitor the construction of Shelter units to ensure adherence to the provided drawings and specifications by the organisation. Document any reports and deviations from the original design, including the reasons for the modifications.
- Work Closely with Shelter Project Assistant in the fields to ensure that required construction material are procured and delivered to the respective sites in a timely manner.
- Read, understand and interpret technical construction drawings, BoQs and materials, technical specifications are in conformance to international quality control building standard (IBS) and practices.
- Assist in liaising with national authorities and professionals and community-based organizations (CBO). Maintain strong relationships and ongoing exchange of information with (I)NGOs and UN counterparts.
- Provide technical guidance on Shelter Projects.
- Represent us at coordination and Shelter’s related meetings with external Stakeholders (Governmental, other aid actors, local communities, refugee communities) as directed by Shelter PM.
- Assist in organizing trainings and learning sessions to the beneficiaries and explore possible opportunities for them to enhance their skills and abilities.
- Within the scope of work perform other duties assigned by the Shelter PM.
- Line-manage the Shelter Assistant within the assigned projects, including day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc.
Communication and Coordination
- Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the broader team and other relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, UN agencies and other NGOs), with the objective of ensuring good cooperation and partnerships.
- Participate in Shelter meetings as appropriate and as assigned by the Shelter PM, as well as in internal trainings, and other working groups or meetings as required, representing us and feeding back to the Shelter PM on relevant issues.
- Submit daily Situation Report (sitrep) and weekly progress to Shelter PM.
- Liaise, as necessary, with the logistics and finance staff to ensure items are procured, transported, stored, managed and accounted for correctly.
- Supporting procurement engagement with suppliers, collecting quates and preparing site inspection reports accordingly.
- Promote and use the online filling system and other operating procedures, ensuring that all standardised formats are used and guidelines are followed
- Ensure Shelter projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with the organisation, donor, country and international standards i.e. Sphere Standards, CHS and Inter-Agency Standing Committee (IASC) guidelines.
|Qualification / Experience
|Bachelor's degree in a relevant field such as civil engineering, architecture, urban planning, or a related discipline.
|A master's degree and Sphere Training are desirable.
2 years’ post-qualification professional experience.
High School with 4 years of professional experience in the corporate sector.Ability to work effectively in a multicultural and diverse team environment.
|Good English & Turkish (spoken and written)
|Arabic is an asset.
Familiar with Microsoft Office programs, in particular CAD and office 365.
Proficiency in using computer-aided design (CAD) software and shelter-related software applications.
Passionate about serving the vulnerable peopleSelf-motivated
|Desire to learn
Team-player with good inter-personal skills.
Strong commitment to supporting and assisting others, actively contributing to workload sharing.
Demonstrated aptitude for effectively mobilizing communities and facilitating capacity-building initiatives.
|Experience in training others
Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levelsCreative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner
Good report writing skills
Experience in the design, monitoring of implementation and evaluation of Shelter projects. Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere and CHS as well as IASC guidelines and policies for Shelter in emergencies.
|Management and leadership
Able to prioritise clearly and oversee multiple tasks
Able to set clear objectivesCommitted to consultative team work
|Areas of expertise
Civil Engineering Sector.
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of two references by indicating name of the position applied with the reference code RR-TUR-HM-5-C2-005 in the subject line of the e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Withheld Name of International Nongovernmental Organization
İsviçre kökenli, tarafsız, bağımsız ve nötr bir insani yardım kuruluşu.