- About MSYD
The Association of Assistance, Solidarity and Support for Refugees and Asylum-Seekers (MSYD) was established as an independent non-governmental humanitarian aid organization in Istanbul in 2015 to identify the needs of individuals and communities adversely affected by natural disasters and human-made conflicts, and to improve the living conditions of different social segments among the affected populations.
Our Association has the vision of establishing a dignified and equal life for everyone by starting to build lives with the motto “share the kindness” for refugees and persons of concern, affected by natural and/or human-made disasters. MSYD acknowledges, protects, develops and represents the importance of the concept of solidarity in the field with the affected population, and is determined to always reflect the added value of any practice that is woven between all connotations of the concept of solidarity with affected population groups. MSYD also closely monitors current and possible trends at local, national and global level towards excluding girls, women and disabled people in certain positions. In this sense, MSYD attaches strategic importance to preventive, responsive and gender-based methods in activities carried out in line with the unmet needs of these population groups.
Our Association aims to equip its institutional structure to meet the emerging needs of refugees and persons of concern, to play a pro-active role in determining the needs of the groups we serve, to develop integrated and combined project approaches and to implement humanitarian aid projects, to evaluate the feedback from the communities we serve, and it has the mission of functionalizing it as an important impetus in the way it functions and service. In this context, the principles of non-discrimination, transparency, impartiality, accountability and gender equality are adopted as the founding principles of MSYD in the context of national legislation and international humanitarian aid standards. In this general context, it is planned to carry out activities within the framework of emergency action plans in order to meet the urgent and prioritized basic needs of the target groups immediately after the crisis developments, and then the implementation of projects in order to meet special and specific needs on the axis of reconstruction and rehabilitation works.
MSYD pays attention to reflect its institutional technical expertise and significant experience in humanitarian aid to every layer of project implementation. MSYD, as a principle and value, produces durable solutions for different social groups (girls, women, youth, adults, disabled people, etc.). MSYD also determines its strategic plans and program specific activities to develop potential and alternative service approaches based on gender equality.
* As MSYD, we support the applications of qualified women candidates in this field.
- Job Summary
The Shelter Program Officer is responsible of maintaining and ensuring the quality of Shelter activities implementation under the direct supervision of Project Manager. He/she will support the overall administration of the Shelter program, track program progress, ensure SOPs are adhered to, and prepare documents for approval.
- Essential Job Duties and Scope of Work:
Within delegated authority, Shelter Program Officer will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Support of the implementation of projects and take the lead in technical issues in the projects.
- Participate and support in the technical assessments and design of evaluation tools and preparation activities.
- Prepare weekly work plans for Shelter Program Assistants and closely follow up.
- Organize home-visits and site-visits towards the target population groups and the available stakeholders in the project locations.
- Track the progress of each proposed shelter works from assessment to review to approval to tender to completion.
- Provide regular updates to Shelter Teams and field management.
- Identify delays in process and recommend improvements.
- Technical training and planning within the team in order to meet the training orientation and needs related to accommodation and settlements.
- Prepare documentation required by MSYD’s internal file standards and –accordingly- Procurement Guideline for any sorts of procurement matters.
- Ensure shelter related activities are implemented in line with the proposal and donor requirements and in accordance with MSYD, donor, country, and international engineering and humanitarian standards.
- Provide weekly progress reports to Project Manager to ensure the smooth implementation of the respective project activities.
- Regular reporting on project status and achievement levels and consolidate program-related information into program.
- Provide inputs requested by the Grants Department related to the regular internal and external reports.
- Work with the MEAL Department to ensure proper projects indicators tracking in the field and facilitate on-site monitoring activities.
Administration and Other Tasks:
- Maintain the shared workspace for the Shelter Team.
- Ensure reports, data and program tools are regularly reviewed, shared with stakeholders, and stored/filed appropriately.
- Support the logistics activities of shelter staff, particularly in relation to the purchasing of supplies and equipment for the assigned shelter activities.
- Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent, and supportive communication structures with the Shelter Team, other teams in MSYD.
- Work closely with the Project Manager, Senior Management Team, Head Office in Ankara to determine the operational needs of the country program;
- Assist Project Manager to maintain close, monthly communication and positive working relations at all times with the local implementing partners, donor representatives, international stakeholders and local authorities;
Human Resources Management
- Ensure compliance with all local labor laws including working hours;
- Maintain open lines of communications with all field and HQ office staff;
- Fully apply MSYD policies in a fair and consistent manner, documenting decisions properly and ensuring a positive sense of teamwork and shared responsibility among all program staff.
- Maintain frequent and pro-active communication with MSYD Executive Director and Head of Programs, program managers, donor representative(s), and government representative(s) to report on implementation of program activities and objectives, operational needs or constraints, program successes, and any seen or unforeseen challenges that are encountered during program implementation;
Safety and Security
- Model good practice in safety and security at all times, complying with all MSYD internal security policies regarding movement restrictions, obtaining necessary authorization before beginning any domestic travel, and following personal security best practices;
- Ensure application and compliance of security protocols and policies by all subordinate staff, document any security incidents experienced during program implementation, and disseminate security warnings or announcements to program field teams as appropriate.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering and/or Architecture.
- Minimum 4 years’ experience with an NGO, of those at least 2 years’ experience in shelter related programs/projects,
- Fluency in both Arabic and English (written and spoken).
- Good numerical, report writing and administration skills.
- Advanced planning, assessment, and analytical skills desirable.
- Knowledge and understanding of humanitarian standards.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Ability to multitask with competing demands under tight deadlines.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment
- Strong computer skills with competencies in Microsoft Office applications (including MS Word and Excel).
- Knowledge of a range of shelter assistance options, humanitarian infrastructure, including sensitivity to cultural and gender specific needs to ensure that the social and cultural background of the refugees is taken into account while designing, developing and implementing shelter options.
- In relation to their level of skills and experience the post holder may be required to carry out additional duties from time to time that are reasonable.