UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA expands the possibilities for women and young people to lead healthy and productive lives. UNFPA started working in 1969 and began working with the Government of Turkey in 1971. UNFPA Turkey activities were initially carried out on a project-by-project basis. The first multi-year Country Programme ran from 1988 to 1992. The Sixth Country Programme (2016 to 2020) is currently underway. For more than forty years, UNFPA in Turkey has support to:
- Promote mother and child health,
- Improve reproductive health and rights,
- Empowering young people fulfil their potential
- Promote gender equality,
- Combat violence against women,
- Enhance collection, use, and dissemination of development data.