GOAL is an international humanitarian aid agency with operations in 14 countries in The Middle East, Africa, and Latin America. Last year it reached more than six million people in need in nutrition, health, livelihoods, and emergency response programmes.
GOAL in Turkey:
GOAL has been implementing programmes in Turkey since 2016 and has an open-ended registration to operate in the country. In addition to over 85 dedicated program staff members based in our field offices in Mersin, Adana, Hatay, Gaziantep and Şanlıurfa, GOAL Turkey also benefits from administrative and operational supports provided by GOAL Syria Response Programme’s Turkey-based staff members in Ankara and Hatay.
GOAL Turkey benefits from strong relationships with key stakeholders within the country’s national refugee response framework and has established trust within targeted communities. Our contribution to the national refugee response in Turkey has focused on addressing gaps and responding to identified needs in health service delivery, and the protection of vulnerable and marginalized refugees in southern Turkey. In 2020, GOAL reached over 25,000 refugees with targeted protection support activities.
GOAL is currently implementing two projects (ECHO funded LINK and PRM funded GREEN) in Turkey. The LINK program targets refugees from nomadic / semi-nomadic backgrounds and those engaged in seasonal agricultural labour. LINK has been designed to address and mitigate protection concerns of the vulnerable / marginalized refugees through provision of critical information and raising their awareness on their rights, obligations and services available in Turkey, by sensitization/advocacy (targeting key stakeholders and service providers, etc.) activities, and Individual Protection Assistance (IPA) services to enable highly vulnerable refugees to access to basic, social and protective services available under the provisions of Temporary and International Protection regulations in Turkey. The GREEN program aims to improve the socioeconomic inclusion, resilience and self-sufficiency of highly vulnerable/excluded women and girls from host and refugee communities (Syrians as well as those living in program locations under the international protection regulation) including nomadic communities and seasonal agriculture workers from both communities through integrated and market driven livelihood opportunities and protection services, including language courses and vocational skills training on greenhouse production and agriculture; case management (CM)/coaching services, establishment of a women cooperative, protection outreach, information provision and awareness raising; and provision of special needs and individual protection assistance services.
Based in Mersin and working under the supervision of the Deputy Program Manager. The position holder will be supporting and working in close collaboration with all project teams operating in Mersin. She/he will be responsible for the GOAL’s Mersin LINK service mapping and management of interagency referrals, follow ups and feedback mechanisms where GOAL Turkey Programs are operating in Mersin. Specifically, the Statutory and Social Services Officer will support and promote the protection and wellbeing of individuals whose cases require accessing to services and assistances provided by local, national, international NGOs and UN agencies in the Mersin and other regions, by developing and sustaining a functioning external referral pathway with the above categorized organizations. S/he will be the focal point for all case referrals/accompaniments to local authorities and statutory social services. The SSSOs will support and promote the protection and wellbeing of individuals whose cases require accessing to statutory social services provided by i.e. the directorates of the MoFSS, municipalities, PDMMs and other legally mandated entities.
General Functions of the role
- Work co-operatively with other agencies and stakeholders in respective LINK program in Mersin particularly with statutory service providers including PDs of MoFSS, municipality social services and PDMMs for the most vulnerable cases with critical needs for ID verification/transfer, registration, social aid etc.
- Work co-operatively with other agencies and stakeholders, particularly with the local, national, international NGOs, local CBOs and UN agencies.
- Work with program teams and other professionals from a range of organizations to develop services that deliver the best possible outcomes for vulnerable/marginalized individuals and their families
- Contribute to forums, coordination and working groups meetings, as agreed upon with the line manager, to develop and nurture fruitful referral partnerships.
- Develop and sustain a functioning referral pathway with the local, national, international NGOs, local CBOs and UN agencies in Mersin
- Ensure adherence to internationally recognized protection principles, standards and relevant international and local regulations.
- Collate information regarding service gaps and policy changes, etc. in the region to inform LINK service development.
- At all times, be up-to-date on his/her knowledge on the local service and assistances available where GOAL Turkey Programs are operating for appropriate referrals.
- Ensure adherence to internationally recognized protection principles, standards and relevant international and local regulations.
- Ensure adherence with GOAL’s code of conducts and other internal policies i.e. on confidentiality, safeguarding, equality, diversity and inclusion including the GOAL's commitments to the protection from sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA).
- Work with supervisors and peers in harmony to achieve LINK workplans, objectives and targets.
- Participate in one to one performance development reviews/appraisals and contribute to the identification of own development needs.
- Ensure full compliance with the GOAL’s health and safety policy and all locally agreed safe methods of work.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
- Manage all external referrals both for incoming and outgoing cases from/to local, national, international NGOs, local CBOs and UN agencies concerning all program in Mersin.
- Build positive and functional relationships and regularly network/liaise with the local, national, international NGOs, local CBOs and UN agencies.
- Actively introduce and promote the LINK services with service users, colleagues and others within and outside the organization, particularly, with the I/NGOs, UN agencies and other interagency partners.
- In collaboration with the LINK program teams, identify and map the organizations in the Mersin and districts where GOAL LINK programs are operational. Develop and regularly update users friendly/detailed service maps of the organizations (including their detailed services, focal points, contact details and selection criteria, etc.) providing services and assistances to refugees and asylum seekers.
- Ensure updated service maps regularly shared with the GOAL Turkey Programs in Mersin. (All provinces as needed)
- Actively provide detailed, complete, accurate and up to date data for the bi-weekly, monthly and periodic reports and in response to the ad-hoc requests by GOAL Turkey Program Management including DPMs, DPICO, PICO, Program Director and MEAL Manager.
- Manage keeping an updated Referral Tracker with accurate and complete data set for incoming and outgoing cases.
- Ensure that referral activities are in compliant with GOAL IPA SOPs, GOAL’s accountability principles, international protection and social work case management principles, including local legislative requirements.
- Provide appropriate information to clients, professionals, colleagues and others to maximize good decision-making processes.
- In coordination with the PICO, DPICO and DPM attend monthly and/or periodic provincial level Working Group meetings to follow up with developments in the field, discuss field related challenges, etc. and share key highlights from those meeting with GOAL Mersin Program team.
- Consult with, coordinate and work closely with the LINK Team Leader and GOAL Liaison and Partnership teams for mapping and updating of the services and assistances available from the local authorities, municipal and statutory entities.
- Keep updated on protection/social work services by state and municipal actors in the areas of operation and advocate for access to services on behalf of beneficiaries.
- Serve as liaison, when asked or needed to public services and support protection teams with the case work/referral of survivors of child abuse, violence and gender based violence, etc. by developing and sustaining a functioning referral pathway with relevant statutory protection services, particularly, with the MoFSS and municipality social services, including PDMM (Provincial Directorate of Migration Management) for the most vulnerable cases with critical needs for fast track registration, etc.
- When and as requested by the supervisor, conduct IPA case assessments and engage in case planning and supports.
- Prepare and submit weekly, biweekly and monthly progress reports to supervisor as requested.
- Work with the MEAL team to ensure that appropriate monitoring activities are undertaken to a high standard to capture lesson learned and best practices.
- Inform protection team members regularly on the updates of service map, new services provided within the district
- Ensure that clean and correct data is submitted to CommCare on time. Work closely and provide feedback to Protection Team Leader in data cleaning process and MEAL whenever needed.
Referral Specific Responsibilities Duties
- In collaboration with the LINK teams and on behalf the IPA and Case Management programs, refer and follow-up cases to the local, national, international NGOs, local CBOs and UN agencies in Mersin
- Receive all external referrals from LINK programs and review, translate, revise and update with appropriate and needed information in coordination with the respective protection or case worker.
- Follow up with the Protection Team Leaders and protection workers, legal counsellor and seek and record regular updates on the progress and status of the cases received from the external organizations.
- On behalf the GOAL Turkey programs, on regular basis, share timely feedback with the external organizations on the status of cases they have referred to GOAL LINK program.
- On behalf the GOAL Turkey programs, on regular basis, seek feedback from the external organizations to which LINK program have referred cases and share those feedbacks with the relevant teams in a timely manner.
- Review and ensure all incoming and outgoing interagency referral forms have enough and appropriate information on the cases to enable timely and appropriate processing of the cases referred to LINK programs or referred by LINK program to other organizations.
- Review and ensure all external referrals are made to appropriate service providers by using the requested format with the provision of the necessary documents / reports.
- Keep track of own activities through the position specific excel trackers/database for internal and external referrals.
- Ensure that all external and internal referrals are thoroughly documented and updated, with consideration of confidentiality and data protection principles.
- Prepare and submit weekly, bi-weekly and monthly progress reports when as requested by the supervisor.
- Support MEAL team to ensure that appropriate monitoring activities are undertaken to a high standard to capture lesson learned and best practices.
- Any other duties related to the nature of the job as requested by the supervisor.
- Turkish Citizenship.
- University degree in related field (e.g., social work, psychology, sociology, child development, international relations, law, and other relevant disciplines).
- At least three years’ work experience in I/NGOs environment preferably with some experiences in individual protection assistance and case management approaches.
- At least two experiences liaising with government departments, local authorities and statutory social services.
- Experience of participation in humanitarian coordination and safe referrals mechanisms.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, in English and Turkish. Arabic is a strong advantage.
- Takes initiative, prioritises well, works under pressure and manages time and tasks effectively.
- Demonstrates strong negotiation, advocacy and diplomacy skills.
- Understands and is committed to diversity and equality and treats everyone with respect.
- In depth knowledge of legislation, procedures and guidelines relevant to local authorities and statutory social work services.
- Skilful in engaging with clients and to establish working relationship with statutory agencies.
- Working knowledge and practices with Word, Excel, Outlook, etc. required.
- Experience in Mersin field.
- Experience in community-based protection and participation especially regarding with committee, advisory board and volunteerism.
- Knowledge and experience with RSAWs and/or NSRs
Interested? Then apply for this position via clicking on the "apply now" button and fill out the application form. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application deadline is 23 August 2022.
“Please note that GOAL does not charge a fee of any kind or any other financial obligation at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training, induction) or other fees, or request information on applicants’ bank accounts. GOAL does not work with intermediary institutions and individuals or employment agencies during the recruitment process. If any fee or payment is requested from you at the application or any stage of the recruitment process, please do not respond.”
GOAL’ün, işe alım sürecinin (başvuru, başvuruların işlenmesi, mülakat, eğitim, oryantasyon) hiç bir aşamasında hiç bir şekilde ücret talep etmediğini, başvuru sahibine herhangi bir finansal yükümlülük yüklemediğini ya da başvuru sahibine ait banka bilgilerini talep etmediğini unutmayınız. GOAL işe alım süreci boyunca hiç bir aracı kurum ya da kuruluş yahut istihdam bürosuyla çalışmamaktadır. Eğer başvuru sırasında ya da işe alım sürecinin herhangi bir aşamasında sizden herhangi bir ücret ya da ödeme talep edilirse lütfen yanıt vermeyiniz.
General terms and conditions
Children and vulnerable adults a must be safeguarded to the maximum possible extent from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings that place them at risk of abuse, sexual exploitation, injury and any other harm. One of the ways that GOAL shows this on-going commitment to safeguarding is to include rigorous background and reference checks in the selection process for all candidates.
Accountability within GOAL
Alongside our safeguarding policy, GOAL is an equal opportunities employer and has a set of integrity policies. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to the following key areas of accountability:
- Comply with GOAL’s policies and procedures with respect to safeguarding, Code of Conduct, health and safety, data protection and confidentiality, do no harm principles and unacceptable behaviour protocols.
- Report any concerns about the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult or any wrongdoings within our programming area.
- Report any concerns about inappropriate behavior of a GOAL staff or partner.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.
GOAL has been working in Syria since 2013, responding to the acute needs of conflict-affected communities. GOAL is working in Idleb Governate, both through direct implementation and through partners, delivering food, non-food programming to highly vulnerable populations, and provision of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) through support to Water units, as well as emergency support to recently displaced households. GOAL worked in Turkey in 2015-2016 to respond to the Health needs of Syrians in Turkey and will resume programming in Turkey in 2018 with a focus on Protection needs.